Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hybrid Plug In, no vrt?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Sorry motorcheck vrt checker was giving me €0, I had assumed as it was a plug in that it was exempt for some reason.

Are Prius Hybrids that bit cheaper to VRT in general? I'm considering going down that road for my next car.

Not even full electric cars are exempt in this Joke of a country. You get 5 K grant on VRT on an EV and I think 2,500 on a Plug in.

Not 100% certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Any comment on those Prius plug ins?

I'm thinking of going Hybrid for a change. Not a fan of diesels and I'm looking for something trouble free.

Are these economical on the open road and city?

Not nearly as a full electric.

200 Kms rumoured for 2017 and 300 kms for 2018, cost unknown yet.

The will reduce fuel consumption depending on how much you can keep the battery topped up, if it were I then I'd hold out until 2017 at least to see what's around on the EV front, even a 2nd hand 150 Km Leaf 30 Kwh is useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not even full electric cars are exempt in this Joke of a country. You get 5 K grant on VRT on an EV and I think 2,500 on a Plug in.

Not 100% certain.

Why should a vehicle not have to pay Vehicle Registration Tax?

To encourage the transition to EV. VRT is a joke anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To encourage the transition to EV. VRT is a joke anyway.

The transition will happen eventually and an EV is still a vehicle. There's a different augment for getting rid of VRT, but what do we tax more to replace the income from it?

Del2005 wrote: »
    The transition will happen eventually and an EV is still a vehicle. There's a different augment for getting rid of VRT, but what do we tax more to replace the income from it?

We pay too much tax, make the big corporations pay more. Just 5% would make a big impact to us. They don't even remotely pay their fair share.

I work for a major multi national and I guarantee the Billions they have paid to set up here won't be thrown away. They'll pay !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why should a vehicle not have to pay Vehicle Registration Tax?

'Cause that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Any comment on those Prius plug ins?

I'm thinking of going Hybrid for a change. Not a fan of diesels and I'm looking for something trouble free.

Are these economical on the open road and city?

I just got a Prius Plug-in in April and I'm pretty happy with it so far. VRT is less than the standard Prius (I paid about €1400 but it was a 2012), and motor tax is also lower (A1 band). I'm getting about 14km range in EV mode which means I can do my commute to work and back most of the time - this is in Cork city with narrow streets, lots of hills and lots of stopping and starting so I'm sure range could be better depending on conditions. No significant signs of battery degradation after 4 years. It uses about 3 kWh of lecky for a full charge (90 minutes), which is around 30-45c depending on your rates. You can set a timer for the charger to use night rates or whatever.

I'm averaging 80 MPG, which is including long journeys (and the drive back from NI where I bought it). On the motorway I was averaging around 52 MPG, which isn't as good as a modern diesel but the benefits are really at lower speeds and city driving. Even without charging you'll get better fuel economy compared to the standard Prius due to the larger battery. It's costing about half as much to run as my old diesel (Pegueot 406).

The only downsides from the standard Prius are the lack of spare wheel and slightly less boot space (maybe 5 litres or so, forget exactly), and the 15" wheels (they are black-painted alloys with plastic hub caps over them - must have made sense to someone!). Specs are quite good for UK versions - better than Prius "Luxury" here (which have crap non-JBL stereo).

Advertisement