Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blonde highlights to all over colour

Options
  • 26-07-2016 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been getting highlights/lowlights for about 2 years now. My hair is natural medium brown, a bit on the lighter side.

I basically look blonde all over now and I love being blonde but since the last time I went to the salon, I noticed that my hair is getting quite damaged and I don't think I can keep getting the highlights. It took me forever to grow my hair long so id rather just go back to brunette if blonde is not achievable.

My hairdressers first language is not English and sometimes I'm not sure exactly what she's saying and sometimes i love the results but once or twice i wasnt that happy so it can be a bit hit and miss with her.

Anyway she said to me that I should get all over blonde colour rather than highlights and they will only do my roots. So do you think she means a blonde permanent colour rather than bleach? I wouldn't bleach all of my hair but can a blonde permanent colour lift a medium brown and is it still very damaging? And also if I do get all my roots done, how would it blend with the other highlights?

Anyone had this done before after getting highlights?

Sorry for the long post but I just want to make sure that I know what I'm getting. I appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If you feel your hair is already damaged from the blonde then I would 100% advise against going for a full blonde colour. I don't know what hairdresser on earth would reccommend that in top of damaged hair? Highlights are the way to go if your hair is any way vulnerable after lightening because it's basically the uncoloured parts of your hair that is saving your hair from complete damage. Getting a colour on your roots only would not match to the highlights because the colour would be a block colour; whereas highlights are sectioned. Tbh I think you need to find a different hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I agree. You can get Oplalex treatment to condition your hair after colouring. If she can't understand you then it's a no go area. If it took you that long to become blonde think wisely before going back brown again, you might regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

anna080 wrote: »
    If you feel your hair is already damaged from the blonde then I would 100% advise against going for a full blonde colour. I don't know what hairdresser on earth would reccommend that in top of damaged hair? Highlights are the way to go if your hair is any way vulnerable after lightening because it's bascically the uncoloured parts of your hair that is saving your hair from complete damage. .

I don't think she wanted to dye over the already highlighted hair, just the roots.

The majority of my hair is already blonde so she said that if she continues highlighting then she's just going over the already highlighted hair over again and again. She does leave the ends out but with highlights she's still redoing parts of my hair that are already highlighted. I haven't got too much damage now but I can see it getting bad if I continue with the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Olishi4 wrote: »
    I don't think she wanted to dye over the already highlighted hair, just the roots.

The majority of my hair is already blonde so she said that if she continues highlighting then she's just going over the already highlighted hair over again and again. She does leave the ends out but with highlights she's still redoing parts of my hair that are already highlighted. I haven't got too much damage now but I can see it getting bad if I continue with the highlights.

So then let her just highlight the roots, but do not let her put an overall colour on your roots this will not look right. Ask for a t bar.

You can get your roots done without getting highlights. The hairdresser will match the colour for you. It's true it won't look as good but it will be barely noticeable. I've had it done a few times as constantly getting highlights every six weeks can be expensive and harsh.

• Advertisement

You can get your roots done without getting highlights. The hairdresser will match the colour for you. It's true it won't look as good but it will be barely noticeable. I've had it done a few times as constantly getting highlights every six weeks can be expensive and harsh.

Yea S, I think that's what she's saying but do they match it up with bleach or some kind of dye that lifts hair and is not as harsh?

Yea S, I think that's what she's saying but do they match it up with bleach or some kind of dye that lifts hair and is not as harsh?

It's just they match to it the existing colour which I presume uses bleach. I know Peter Marks does bleach free dye now if you want to go to them. If it's just the roots though you might avoid damage as it's 'new' hair. It's handy to get done as you're not redying old hair. The other option as stated is getting a T bar done which will match up the highlights. Depends on what you want to spend. I find just masking the roots is grand in between highlights. You can choose to re highlight it then when the colour starts to grow out.

Thanks S, ye I think that's what I'll do to give the rest of my hair a breather :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi OP,

I've naturally very dark hair and used to have blonde highlights to give me an all over blonde look. My hair was very damaged after a while, as I was getting my roots done every 5-6 weeks. That said, my hairdresser didnt bring the highlights the full length of my hair, she'd just touch up the roots.

Would you consider more of an balayage approach? You can still stay quite blonde but reduce drastically how often you need to get it touched up. I went to a lovely place in Clontarf that did a great job on mine. It allowed me to grow out my blonde really easily so I never really had an "awkward phase" with really bad roots. People who met me when I had the balayage look versus now always say, "oh I thought you were blonde", so it can still look quite bright whilst giving your hair a good break.

Thankfully its almost completely grown out now :)

Hi OP,

I've naturally very dark hair and used to have blonde highlights to give me an all over blonde look. My hair was very damaged after a while, as I was getting my roots done every 5-6 weeks. That said, my hairdresser didnt bring the highlights the full length of my hair, she'd just touch up the roots.

Would you consider more of an balayage approach? You can still stay quite blonde but reduce drastically how often you need to get it touched up. I went to a lovely place in Clontarf that did a great job on mine. It allowed me to grow out my blonde really easily so I never really had an "awkward phase" with really bad roots. People who met me when I had the balayage look versus now always say, "oh I thought you were blonde", so it can still look quite bright whilst giving your hair a good break.

Thankfully its almost completely grown out now :)

Thanks Sarah, ye that sounds lovely the way you had it but I had it done once before in Peter Mark and she put a toner on the ends after dying my roots and the toner made it look like my hair was all a naturally light brown. There was only a very slight contrast. I did like it but to me it wasn't balayage and it cost me a fortune. I might bring in a picture of a balayage colour I like and see what my hairdresser thinks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Thanks Sarah, ye that sounds lovely the way you had it but I had it done once before in Peter Mark and she put a toner on the ends after dying my roots and the toner made it look like my hair was all a naturally light brown. There was only a very slight contrast. I did like it but to me it wasn't balayage and it cost me a fortune. I might bring in a picture of a balayage colour I like and see what my hairdresser thinks :)

Oh I can totally imagine. That wasnt my first time trying to get balayage done, I'd tried previously before I ever went blonde (wanted to try it gradually) but it was a disater and thats actually what kickstarted me getting all over highlights because I just needed to cover it. That was at a Style Club Salon which is part of the Peter Marks group. I wouldnt trust them with colour again.

The salon I went to to get my successful balayage was much more of a small local place (3 stylists total, they owned it between them) and they'd loads of examples of their work on FB. I went there for a blowdry before i booked in for colour just so I could suss the place out to see if they were worth the risk - that made me feel sooo much better in taking the plunge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Peter marks did this with me too :(
    Came out with darker hair than I went in with!

Advertisement