Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chinese football coming to Sky Sports

• 26-07-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

pelle-shandong-luneng-china-southampton-transfer-social-graphic-graziano_3742418.jpg?20160712075908

So Sky Sports have moved to pick up the Chinese Super League for the next 3 seasons.
    Sky Sports has secured the rights for the next three seasons to a league that already features a number of names familiar to Premier League fans, with former Chelsea midfielder Ramires joined by Obafemi Martins - once of Newcastle United - Gervinho, who played for Arsenal, and recent signing from Southampton Graziano Pelle.

"This is more great news for football fans as we get set for our biggest ever season on Sky Sports," said Sky Sports head of football Gary Hughes said:

"The Ping An Chinese Super League is attracting players from Europe and is creating a really exciting competition that will only add to an incredible line-up of live football on Sky Sports."

The first match to be shown on Saturday July 30 could see former Newcastle United forward Martins in action when Shanghai Greenland Shenhua face Jiangsu Suning.

Then on Sunday, Guangzhou R&F take on ex-England manager Sven Goran Eriksson's side Shanghai SIPG, both games will be shown on Sky Sports 3 from 12.30pm.

The CSL runs from March to November with 16 teams competing for the title, and Sky Sports will show the action live through to 2018.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10512505/chinese-super-league-to-be-shown-on-sky-sports

Due to the amount of money sloshing around in this league at the moment I expected it was only a matter of time before Sky or BT acquired the rights, but I thought it would take a star of the stature of Ibrahimovic for example before they'd make their move. They must be confident more big names will head there in future.

What do you make of this then? Is it going to be a fad that will fade away, or will Chinese football become a force? And will you be giving these games a look?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Chinese league is still really poor despite having a few big names. The standard among most of the Chinese players would be around LOI level from what I've seen of it on Bet365 over the years. I doubt Sky are paying anything more than a few grand to show games. The league might even be paying Sky..who knows.

BT are miles ahead of Sky now. I don't use either, but looking at the rights both have on paper shows a clear winner. BT have a fantastic variety of leagues and have the one show I do watch on either channel - The european football show with James Richardson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Chinese league is still really poor despite having a few big names. The standard among most of the Chinese players would be around LOI level from what I've seen of it on Bet365 over the years. I doubt Sky are paying anything more than a few grand to show games. The league might even be paying Sky..who knows.

BT are miles ahead of Sky now. I don't use either, but looking at the rights both have on paper shows a clear winner. BT have a fantastic variety of leagues and have the one show I do watch on either channel - The european football show with James Richardson.
    Richardson,Horncastle,Laurens & Honigstein are the best football combo of pundits on either Sky or BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll not be watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Virgin are dropping Setanta/BT because their premier league games are reducing by 30 odd games and they can't offer the package for a "reasonable price". Such BS. I'd watch more BT/Setanta than I would Sky - losing 30 premier league games (I'd probably be interested in 2-3 of them anyway) wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Seriously considering dropping SS altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'll not be watching.

Snap. Worse than SPL if the 4 games I've endured are anything to go by.
    I'd rather brave a drab, wet Friday night at the Belfield bowl (and don't plan on doing that much either).

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Virgin are dropping Setanta/BT because their premier league games are reducing by 30 odd games and they can't offer the package for a "reasonable price". Such BS. I'd watch more BT/Setanta than I would Sky - losing 30 premier league games (I'd probably be interested in 2-3 of them anyway) wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Seriously considering dropping SS altogether.

While I have come to f*cking despise Virgin because of the internet problems I have had for the last 7 months, I don't think this is their fault to be honest.

I think it is more likely that Eir refused to negotiate or slapped a ridiculous fee on Virgin if they wanted to continue carrying Setanta/BT, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm sure Sky will use this to justify another price hike on the basis of giving us more choice, even though nobody wants it. I'll watch this as much as I've watched the Super-de-Duper Netball League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The Chinese league still has a cap on foreign players, so most players on a team are Chinese. So while having a couple of international stars is fine, the level of the league won't improve until they produce better local players.

Also, there is not enough of a match-going culture there, so despite their huge population, attendances are generally pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

The Chinese league still has a cap on foreign players, so most players on a team are Chinese. So while having a couple of international stars is fine, the level of the league won't improve until they produce better local players.

Also, there is not enough of a match-going culture there, so despite their huge population, attendances are generally pretty poor.

Whatever about their population, they have the 7th highest average attendance in the world (6th if you discount India as it's as I wouldn't consider it a proper league). It isn't far behind Ligue 1 and Serie A, will probably overtake them in the next year. Don't think it would be mad to suggest they could overtake average attendances in Mexico & Li Liga in the next 3-4 years.

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Whatever about their population, they have the 7th highest average attendance in the world (6th if you discount India as it's as I wouldn't consider it a proper league).

hate to do this, but can you give a source ?
    and how is it measured exactly

• Advertisement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues#Outdoor_sports

By counting the people in the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Theres loads of different sources, but all confirm their average attendance last season was between 21800 and 22500, for instance here:

https://www.footballbenchmark.com/attendance_big_five_emerging_countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

After going all in on the Premier League SS have a poor offering. BT miles ahead. I dumped Sky a few months ago as could no longer justify the cost. Now getting BT for free on eir! So win - win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was saying only last year that there was a potential market for the Chinese Super league in Europe due to the time slots they would fill. It's all early morning(here) games so they can a game starting at 8.00am GMT and 10.00am too and it doesn't affect the league over here. If you fancy early morning football before the Premier league you are now covered and have time for lunch before the 12.45pm kickoff on a Saturday.

I think it'll work out for them because people will watch it to check in on the big names that are playing out there and then get to like a team a bit. If the product entertains they will tell their friends about it and the audience will get bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What saddo would want to watch Chinese football at 8am on a Saturday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I'll give it a sconce just to see the standards and tactical nous if any.I've a feeling I'll be making my decision to keep viewing rapidly though.

More big names will move there on the back of this deal, if money from TV rights starts escalating it could snowball exponentially.

Can't wait for the Guangzhou Evergrand jerseys to hit the likes of Cummins Sports or better still some FKW out on a Saturday night in Temple Bar.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was saying only last year that there was a potential market for the Chinese Super league in Europe due to the time slots they would fill. It's all early morning(here) games so they can a game starting at 8.00am GMT and 10.00am too and it doesn't affect the league over here. If you fancy early morning football before the Premier league you are now covered and have time for lunch before the 12.45pm kickoff on a Saturday.

I think it'll work out for them because people will watch it to check in on the big names that are playing out there and then get to like a team a bit. If the product entertains they will tell their friends about it and the audience will get bigger.

Really? Who wants to check out how Hulk is doing on his ridiculous €300k a week salary? They took the same gamble with MLS and sold it as "check up on Premier League stars in the US". Last season they averaged 20k-40k per game. Can't see droves of people watching the Chinese Super League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

No interest in Chinese football.

I hope Mario Balotelli goes there because hes as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

eagle eye wrote: »

I really don't think people in the UK & Ireland care enough about Pelle, Hulk & Ramires to watch CSL games. If they wanted to fill a gap at 10am they should have shown the J.league. The standard is higher, the pitches are better and the atmosphere is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It'll be better than watching the 'banter filled' Soccer AM anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sky Sports are having a laugh with this. Nobody said "I wish someone got the rights to the Chinese league". Even the Chinese community in the UK won't care about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Yeah why would they be watching that when they could be watching a replay of the Pro Kabaddi League match that was on the night before? Get another chance to see the crucial do-or-die raids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

lertsnim wrote: »
    Sky Sports are having a laugh with this. Nobody said "I wish someone got the rights to the Chinese league". Even the Chinese community in the UK won't care about it.

Ok I was going to suggest that there may be a slight audience there for it, but it looks more like its a filler gap for the time slots that they need.

Think of the bigger picture here though: Joe.ie and balls.ie will have loads of extra click bait to use "You wont believe how this Sky Sports News presenter pronounced Jiangsu Sainty" etc etc

Just on this though (possibly a different conversation) maybe it has something to do with lifestyle changes over the year, but the more sport that is on tv and the more specific sports channels there are jammed packed with sports.....the less I actually care and or watch? It is possibly that I value my time a bit more now that I am older, but I actually have no interest in 90% of what is on.

Thanks, attendances are indeed on the rise according to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Gambling addicts, winos, kids....

It's about building links. Everyone is tipping the CSL to be huge in the future. Sky are getting in early, payin f all (I assume), filling a low viewership time slots with live football, and in years to come hope to say "we brought you the best league in the world first".

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Gambling addicts, winos, kids....

It's about building links. Everyone is tipping the CSL to be huge in the future. Sky are getting in early, payin f all (I assume), filling a low viewership time slots with live football, and in years to come hope to say "we brought you the best league in the world first".

Honest question: how huge can it actually be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

This is a wong move by sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sky will build this to be bigger than the Champions League and the Europa League on every single one of there channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

SS have 126 prem games this season, more than they've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Its one of the best attended leagues in the world with average attendances of about 25,000.
    La Ligas attendance is about the same.

It will grow and it will get bigger. I'm delighted they are fighting back against Man U & Liverpool flogging themselves out there every summer and trying to build a league of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Honest question: how huge can it actually be?

Absolutely massive. In the long term that is. Potentially a bigger market than all of Europe put together, particularly as the middle class in China continues to grow (China now has the biggest middle class the world, larger than the US). This requires great execution and financial commitment though, which I wouldn't be particularly confident in. If they can though then it could become a rival to Europe and change the whole landscape of club football. This would take a long long time to achieve however, which is obviously the biggest risk, will the interest from the big boys with money remain? There's a lot of rumours of dodgy money being invested into it too, I don't know much about that though so can't comment on that. The fact is the market is there though.

Although at the moment seems fairly pointless having it available on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

SS have 126 prem games this season, more than they've ever had.

They have 159 live games in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

They have 159 live games in Ireland.

What channel are the 3pm Saturday games going to be on for Irish viewers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What channel are the 3pm Saturday games going to be on for Irish viewers?

Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Will get zero viewers come 2 weeks as kick off times will go against there very own Premier League coverage :), glad i got rid of sky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If it's half as bad as the US football then no-one will watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jayop wrote: »
    If it's half as bad as the US football then no-one will watch it.

The MLS is great viewing! Obviously not at the same skill level but it's open attacking football for the most part! It's one of the most exciting leagues to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SantryRed wrote: »
    The MLS is great viewing! Obviously not at the same skill level but it's open attacking football for the most part! It's one of the most exciting leagues to watch.

Ah I certainly wouldn't share that view. It's incredibly well presented but I don't think the football is that exciting to watch, especially over 90 minutes. The flash points in games are very well brought across to viewers but as full games they are mostly not all that great imo.

MLS is complete ring piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

MLS is not a great standard but it's still exciting enough. Look at New York City for example. Great attacking but can't defend. Plenty of goals in their matches. Thats what I want to see goals!

I watch the Sligo v Derry match yesterday ****ing awful standard. MLS would be miles better for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Headshot wrote: »
    MLS is not a great standard but it's still exciting enough. Look at New York City for example. Great attacking but can't defend. Plenty of goals in their matches. Thats what I want to see goals!

I watch the Sligo v Derry match yesterday ****ing awful standard. MLS would be miles better for me

Bizarre post.
    The thread is about sky showing the Chinese league yet from some reason you start comparing MLS & LOI.
    MLS is backed to the last with clever marketing and marquee players to gloss over the fact there's a lot of sub standard players in it. The LOI has none of that.

At least the LOI has real teams with real history not this manufactured rivalry nonsense that China and the USA has.

At least the LOI has real teams with real history not this manufactured rivalry nonsense that China and the USA has.

Everybody has to start somewhere.

Or would you prefer China and the USA not to attempt having a league of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It was a very good match today, plenty of goals.

Pity the pitch was awful. It seems to be the standard in China with the awful pitches.

Everybody has to start somewhere.

Or would you prefer China and the USA not to attempt having a league of their own.

No problem with them starting it and in know little about the Chinese teams but the fans and the manufacturing of rivalries in the US is painful watch. Some of the fan videos are the most cringey things I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

No problem with them starting it and in know little about the Chinese teams but the fans and the manufacturing of rivalries in the US is painful watch. Some of the fan videos are the most cringey things I've ever seen.

I saw Galaxy fans in a bar in LA chanting "we believe our team will win, we believe our team will win". One of the most uncomfortably cringey things I've ever witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

You haven't lived until you've seen an entire crowd take selfies in celebration of a goal.

You might find their chants cheesy and the league might not be great, but at least they are out supporting their local teams and their national league which contributes to the growth of the game in their country.

You might find their chants cheesy and the league might not be great, but at least they are out supporting their local teams and their national league which contributes to the growth of the game in their country.

Indeed, but this thread isn't about the LOI.
    What about the Chinese league ?

Some people in a lot of countries don't actually have a local team to support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement