Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chinese football coming to Sky Sports

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Absolutely massive. In the long term that is. Potentially a bigger market than all of Europe put together, particularly as the middle class in China continues to grow (China now has the biggest middle class the world, larger than the US). This requires great execution and financial commitment though, which I wouldn't be particularly confident in. If they can though then it could become a rival to Europe and change the whole landscape of club football. This would take a long long time to achieve however, which is obviously the biggest risk, will the interest from the big boys with money remain? There's a lot of rumours of dodgy money being invested into it too, I don't know much about that though so can't comment on that. The fact is the market is there though.

Although at the moment seems fairly pointless having it available on Sky.

No shortage of dodgy money being pumped through the English leagues over the past decade or so. Hasn't caught up with them.

Yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I saw Galaxy fans in a bar in LA chanting "we believe our team will win, we believe our team will win". One of the most uncomfortably cringey things I've ever witnessed.

That sounds terrible alright, but hardly any worse than "we're the greatest team the world has ever seen" as sung by just about everyone, or gibberish like "you're hardly gonna believe us we're going to win the league".

If they're going to use cringey nonsense chants then it's good they are going original and not just copying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched the match between Shanghai Shenhua and Jiangsu Suning on Sky today. It was a good match for Sky to start off with as it finished 3-2 to Shanghai and was pretty entertaining overall. The foreign players got all the goals and you can tell there is a difference in class between them and the domestic ones, but I suppose it will take a decade or two for that to change.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Wayne Boyce of Eurosport commentate on the game who called it solo. It felt like I was watching Eurosport rather than Sky.

Also I was shocked to hear Boyce say that Christian Vieri is meant to be coming out of retirement at the age of 43 to play in China!

I would watch a game again in future, but as someone said earlier it won't be long before it starts clashing with European leagues and if it's a choice between this and a European alternative I'll likely go with the latter option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Jayop wrote: »
    No problem with them starting it and in know little about the Chinese teams but the fans and the manufacturing of rivalries in the US is painful watch. Some of the fan videos are the most cringey things I've ever seen.
    I saw Galaxy fans in a bar in LA chanting "we believe our team will win, we believe our team will win". One of the most uncomfortably cringey things I've ever witnessed.

Nothing more cringy than people who are from Ireland pretending they're from London or Manchester or Liverpool and saying 'we' when referring to a club foreign to them and acting as if they have an actual connection to a club. THAT is so much more cringy than any MLS chant. Those boys out in LA are supporting their local team. Good on them. Wish we had more of them here. But sure England is better right lads??

Honestly... the lack perspective off most of ye is pathetic. I've no problem with ye supporting foreign teams but to slag off americans supporting their local teams... have a good look at yourselves.

Anyway looks like its a sure thing for Guangzhou, which is one of those Chinese cities which is feckin huge and massively important but for whatever reason we never hear about in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Nothing more cringy than people who are from Ireland pretending they're from London or Manchester or Liverpool and saying 'we' when referring to a club foreign to them and acting as if they have an actual connection to a club. THAT is so much more cringy than any MLS chant. Those boys out in LA are supporting their local team. Good on them. Wish we had more of them here. But sure England is better right lads??

Honestly... the lack perspective off most of ye is pathetic. I've no problem with ye supporting foreign teams but to slag off americans supporting their local teams... have a good look at yourselves.

Anyway looks like its a sure thing for Guangzhou, which is one of those Chinese cities which is feckin huge and massively important but for whatever reason we never hear about in Europe

What a load of crap. Just because it's been said loads of times by top fans like yourself doesn't make it any less true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Jayop wrote: »
    What a load of crap. Just because it's been said loads of times by top fans like yourself doesn't make it any less true.

Good lad, keep slagging off those who support their local clubs while you support a foreign club in the richest league in the world, you're a top fan and they're the ones who are cringy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Also I was shocked to hear Boyce say that Christian Vieri is meant to be coming out of retirement at the age of 43 to play in China!

I read that online and could not believe it. 43!!!!

Must need the cash badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Oat23 wrote: »
    You might find their chants cheesy and the league might not be great, but at least they are out supporting their local teams and their national league which contributes to the growth of the game in their country.

99% of Chinese do not care about domestic football or their national team, because football in China is so corrupt.

source: gf is chinese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

99% of Chinese do not care about domestic football or their national team, because football in China is so corrupt.

We were talking about MLS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

So that still leaves a few hundred million of them that do care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

They need a few players like John Carew

He will quickly give them a few chants ;)

Why is it a lot of boards threads comes down to Liverpool/United or how fans of LOI are better fans :confused:

There usually is very little relevance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Which is coming from USA national team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Good lad, keep slagging off those who support their local clubs while you support a foreign club in the richest league in the world, you're a top fan and they're the ones who are cringy :)

What is a local club? The one that plays on a muddy pitch every week or LoI? Not everyone has a local LoI team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't see any CSL games today but did Sky show the game between Guangzhou R&F and Shanghai East Asia? That game ended 3-3 and so if they chose that one to cover it means they got 11 goals from their first 2 games which would be a pretty damn good start for them.

Advertisement