Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hide tent, or Ghost Camo Net?

• 26-07-2016 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

So I have ordered myself a dozen decoy pigeons. I am now wondering what is the best option with regards to cover.

I am thinking of ordering either

a) 4 metre jack pyke ghost camo net and 4 hide poles. link
    b) 1 man camo tent with built in chair. link

I like the idea of being able to sit down comfortably in the tent with chair (helpful with a sore back), but I wonder if the net would be more effective. Pricing is similar enough.

I have also considered a larger hide tent here but it's a bit more expensive and chair(s) would be extra.

Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Chiparus

goz83 wrote: »
    So I have ordered myself a dozen decoy pigeons. I am now wondering what is the best option with regards to cover.

I am thinking of ordering either

a) 4 metre jack pyke ghost camo net and 4 hide poles. link
    b) 1 man camo tent with built in chair. link

I like the idea of being able to sit down comfortably in the tent with chair (helpful with a sore back), but I wonder if the net would be more effective. Pricing is similar enough.

I have also considered a larger hide tent here but it's a bit more expensive and chair(s) would be extra.

Opinions.

The tent would not be that useful as it would limit your field of vision , shot , and mobility in general, I would recommend the netting and poles.

for a chair get yourself a large plastic bucket ( they have them in pet stores ) and put it inside an army style duffle bag , use it to carry your gear and as a seat by turning it upside down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Something like this maybe ?

http://www.archerycashel.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/288.jpg

and you could pick up a swivel bucket/chair for about €25 and you can store all your gear, including the hide, in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If your shooting around north county Dublin (St Margaret', Swords and Balbriggen etc) you'll have the option of good hedgerows and deep dry ditches that will offer great scope for various types of hides.

Different conditions and situations will dictate the type of hides, often a deep dry ditch is perfect, especially for wary crows. Tall / thick hedgerows offer great back drops for net and poll hides all year around and the hides can be camouflaged to suit the surroundings. At this time of the year and into Autumn bail hides are suitable for setting up out in the open fields. Keep things simple so that they can adapt easily and quickly to each scenario.

Stick with the netting and 6 poles, blue plastic barrels are great for storage and suitably modified make great totes and seats in the field. May I also suggest a pair of floater poles, brilliant to add movement to your decoy pattern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The net sounds like the ticket so. Good hedges all around. I may try my hand at making a couple floater poles unless there are any good prices around.

Do those camo swivel seats on ebay have storage under the lid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The commercially available buckets I find are too small , and the bucket seat too low , I prefer to be sitting on a higher seat , to get to a standing position quicker.

Good video about setup, I used the tip about using 5 MM. pop rivets and a 6 MM hole in the decoys , works really well , the decoys move well in the lightest breeze.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4glNgFWizeM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Invest in a proper old fashioned shooting stick. Its one legged but if you set it up properly to your height its one of the fastest ways to stand up to get into a shooting position for a shot either in the open or behind a blind.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Invest in a proper old fashioned shooting stick. Its one legged but if you set it up properly to your height its one of the fastest ways to stand up to get into a shooting position for a shot either in the open or behind a blind.

Absolutely, this is on my wish list. Ideal for shooting from inside tight hedgerows when targeting cunning and wary corvids. Perfect for a light set up where you may have to move several times during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I have one of these, very comfortable for the long day in a hide and handy for carrying most of the gear in (decoys, nets, cartridges, flask etc.)

I think the lose nets are the best option for bird shooting as you can set up a hide pretty much anywhere you want (with a hedge behind you etc). Also, very easy to carry and pack.

I bought one of the (one man) "pop up" hides a couple of years ago, have hardly ever used it for bird shooting as I find it too small to comfotably swing a shotgun in.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Can you leave the chair in the field? Or, will you be day tripping?

Usually, I would say the random pattern of the net would be better for not offending game.

However, having had a chair, and sat in comfort on the rainiest days, I would not hesitate to get another.

Advertisement