Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying wires in TV cable unit

Options
  • 26-07-2016 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hello,

Can anyone in the know help me identify the wires in the images below? The unit is an alternate TV point positioned over the fireplace. The unit has never been in use. There is a single electrical socket alongside so I am sure none of the wires here are live or electrical. I am planning to cap and tape the wires and replace the unit with a blank plate. I've already capped a couple as can be seen, however the two grey casings with multiple coloured cables were just lying idle and unconnected. Has anyone any idea what these might be?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Look like cat5, is there a central internet point in the house they go back to?

Don't snip them, tape them up and bury them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

A couple more pictures. There are two containing 8 coloured wires in white casing - suspect these may be for phone connection.

There are another two with red, black, yellow and white in black casing.

Anyone have any insight?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

First is definitely cat5, second looks like speaker wire.

Thanks Steve. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishfire

Wires in white casing - cat5 for networking or a phone point

Black with braid and red/black - most likely for speakers or some kind of audio system

Both should be just taped up and secured, handy to have there for again and can be toned out to find where they go to if you want

EDIT - Steve bet me to it!

• Advertisement

Cheers.

When you say secured away from the socket faceplate - assume you mean fed back into the wall but taped back into the socket box so that its not touching the faceplate?

There doesn't appear to be any mains voltage in the pics you provided so do what you want with them unless you have an IT / phone / audio system in place in the house already and could compromise it. In that case, I would need more details to advise you - and would be inclined to recommend you employ someone who knows what they are doing :)

Advertisement