Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free parking Dun Laogihre

Options
  • 26-07-2016 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Starting a new job out in Dun Laoghrie next tuesday and I'm thinking of driving to work. Is there any provision of free parking around the town at all?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Plenty of free parking in Carrickmines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

The Mig wrote: »

Unless he follows the 'business opening & closing' thread I doubt the OP will get your joke. I do though :)

OP - whereabouts in DL is the job?

To get free parking you'd have to be about a 20 min walk from the town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

frash wrote: »
    Unless he follows the 'business opening & closing' thread I doubt the OP will get your joke. I do though :)

OP - whereabouts in DL is the job?

To get free parking you'd have to be about a 20 min walk from the town.
    True:D

Not much free parking at all in DL. Closest I can think of is just by McCormacks pub there on the main road and then walk down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

The Mig wrote: »

Now that's funny!

As others have said though, free parking in the Town centre is hard to come by. There are all sorts of places that offer weekly rates etc if you are planning to drive every day.

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Very little free parking,could you drive to a Dart carpark and pay the day rate or park somewhere beside a Dart line.

I know you can pay for all day parking on some of the streets but don't know what that would cost,most of them are probably three hours only.

I think if you park in the Frascati carpark in Blackrock and pay six euros you will be let park there all day.You could hop on a bus to Dunlaoghaire then or take the Dart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Of course, if you work for BIM or the CoCo you'll get free/subsidised parking, so there is that. But you can get €4/day parking in the harbour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There's free parking in Beechwood Park, just up from Royal Terrace. It's a residential street. It's about a ten minute walk to the town. I live in Royal Terrace so know it's free. Here's a map to it:

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Beechwood+Park,+Glenageary,+Dublin/@53.2858148,-6.1468882,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x486706293fd17829:0xd564c25c039ddbe6!8m2!3d53.2830439!4d-6.1367173

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Of course, if you work for BIM or the CoCo you'll get free/subsidised parking, so there is that. But you can get €4/day parking in the harbour.

Hard to get parking in the CoCo unless you're very senior or there a long time.

When i was based in DL I found a monthly ticket for the shopping centre on Marine Rd to be good value. Plenty of spaces, valet service on the top floor too if that's your thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hard to get parking in the CoCo unless you're very senior or there a long time.

What about the the CoCo run "private" creche on Marine Road, same there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What about the the CoCo run "private" creche on Marine Road, same there too?

Not familiar with that one unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

While people might give out about the charges for parking in DL, the fact is that with the Dart and the bus routes (esp the 46A and 7) that serve the town, the whole place would become a giant park and ride car park for people working in Dublin city if there was lots of free parking and there would be nowhere on the pubic streets for shoppers to park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You can park on the harbor for €4/day.
    coylemj wrote: »
    While people might give out about the charges for parking in DL, the fact is that with the Dart and the bus routes (esp the 46A and 7) that serve the town, the whole place would become a giant park and ride car park for people working in Dublin city if there was lots of free parking and there would be nowhere on the pubic streets for shoppers to park.

True, but I think they went too far. I hate going to DL and, but for going sailing once a week, I would never visit purely because of no free parking. There are much better places I can go and not have to pay for the privilege of spending my cash in local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Look at the balls they made if the parking app, loads of different zones to collect as much as possible

Compared to dublincity who only have 5

ted1 wrote: »
    Look at the balls they made if the parking app, loads of different zones to collect as much as possible

The proliferation of zones in DL has nothing to do with maximizing the amount collected, it's because lots of streets have hourly and daily rates for parking which increases the number of permutations.

If DL wanted to maximize the amount collected, all they'd have to do is remove the all day option which would result in a system like in the city where you can park for a maximum of three hours with no option for all day parking and there are five different hourly rates, that's why they have a much simpler system.

The proliferation of zones in DL has nothing to do with maximizing the amount collected, it's because lots of streets have hourly and daily rates for parking which increases the number of permutations.

In Dublin city you can park for up to a maximum of three hours with no option for all day parking and there are five different hourly rates so it's a much simpler system.

No, it's to stop people who pay for one street moving into another street. The software could easily with out the difference in zones. How many permutations do you think there is?
    Do you not think that Dublin city offer a better option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Also, the system should know what zone you're in based on your GPS location

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Dardania wrote:
    Also, the system should know what zone you're in based on your GPS location

It does in Dublin City but DLR zones are so small and so close together that it would never work. Theres a small Council car park in Dundrum with space for about 40 cars and even it manages to squeeze in two zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I used to park on The Glen, 10 minute walk from the shopping centre. It did get quite popular over a bit of time and being only a small road I did feel a bit bad for the residents so I bit the bullet and paid for the monthly ticket at the cinema car park - t'was a fair bit cheaper than the one beneath the 40ft pub iirc

No, it's to stop people who pay for one street moving into another street. The software could easily with out the difference in zones.

Not true. When you pay for parking in one DL area, you can move to another area and use the unexpired time providedthe hourly rate in the new location is the same or less than in the area where you paid. This has always been the case, the street name on your P&D ticket for example doesn't mean you can't park somewhere else within the time.
    How many permutations do you think there is?

You can count them yourself, they're listed here and you can see how they differ because of variations in the hourly and daily rates.....

https://www.parkingtag.ie/locations.html
    Do you not think that Dublin city offer a better option ?

Certainly not. At €2.90 an hour for yellow and €2.40 an hour for red with a maximum of three hours and the threat of being clamped and no grace period (15 mins. before and after in DL), I'll take DL parking any time thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

While we're talking about parking.

Has anyone ever been clamped for parking up on the path near that carpark across from Teddy's? Any weekend I'm there I see loads of cars parked on the path but haven't seen any clamped

Caliden wrote: »
    While we're talking about parking.

Has anyone ever been clamped for parking up on the path near that carpark across from Teddy's? Any weekend I'm there I see loads of cars parked on the path but haven't seen any clamped

The council don't clamp. , tickets only. The harbour police Clamp but that part of Dun Laoighre is out of their area.
    Why they have a harbour police for a harbour that no longer has a ferry is beyond me.

Not true. When you pay for parking in one DL area, you can move to another area and use the unexpired time providedthe hourly rate in the new location is the same or less than in the area where you paid. This has always been the case, the street name on your P&D ticket for example doesn't mean you can't park somewhere else within the time.

You can count them yourself, they're listed here and you can see how they differ because of variations in the hourly and daily rates.....

https://www.parkingtag.ie/locations.html

Certainly not. At €2.90 an hour for yellow and €2.40 an hour for red with a maximum of three hours and the threat of being clamped and no grace period (15 mins. before and after in DL), I'll take DL parking any time thanks.

If you use the parking app you can't move, you need to name the zone.

If you use the parking app you can't move, you need to name the zone.

There is no difference in this regard between the smartphone app and P&D tickets - as long as you move to a zone/street where the hourly rate is the same or less, unexpired time can be used without the requirement to pay again. Same applies in Dublin city.

There is no difference in this regard between the smartphone app and P&D tickets - as long as you move to a zone/street where the hourly rate is the same or less, unexpired time can be used without the requirement to pay again. Same applies in Dublin city.

In the app you have to select the zone , if you move zones then you are in a zone you didn't pay for. It's like getting a ticket on the bus to cork but getting the Limerick bus

In the app you have to select the zone , if you move zones then you are in a zone you didn't pay for. It's like getting a ticket on the bus to cork but getting the Limerick bus

The reason you have to select the zone is so that the app can charge you the correct amount for the time you declare you want to pay for, it does not mean that you have to pay again if you move to a zone that's the same or a lower hourly rate before the time expires. Same applies to P&D tickets.

The reason you have to select the zone is so that the app can charge you the correct amount for the time you declare you want to pay for, it does not mean that you have to pay again if you move to a zone that's the same or a lower hourly rate before the time expires. Same applies to P&D tickets.
    And where in the app or on the sign does it say that ? Are you involved with it? Can you provide a link to that information ?

And where in the app or on the sign does it say that ? Are you involved with it? Can you provide a link to that information ?

I asked them today in an e-mail.....

=========== to: parkingcontrol@dlrcoco.ie ========
    Hi there, I'd like to know if it's allowed to move a car having paid for parking and to use the unexpired time in a different area where the hourly rate is the same or lower?

For example, say I pay for two hours parking in zone DK where the hourly rate is €1.50 an hour but after one hour I need to move the car and I end up parking in zone DP where the rate is €1 per hour. Can I use the unexpired time already paid for in DK or am I supposed to buy a new ticket or pay for another hour with the smartphone app?

========= their reply ================

Yes, you can move like for like or a cheaper zone with the same ticket, as long as the time has not expired.

==================================

Dublin City has the same policy .....

If you still have time left on your ticket, you can use it elsewhere (provided you do not use it in a more expensive zone).

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/how-use-pay-and-display

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I asked them today in an e-mail.....

=========== to: parkingcontrol@dlrcoco.ie ========
    Hi there, I'd like to know if it's allowed to move a car having paid for parking and to use the unexpired time in a different area where the hourly rate is the same or lower?

For example, say I pay for two hours parking in zone DK where the hourly rate is €1.50 an hour but after one hour I need to move the car and I end up parking in zone DP where the rate is €1 per hour. Can I use the unexpired time already paid for in DK or am I supposed to buy a new ticket or pay for another hour with the smartphone app?

========= their reply ================

Yes, you can move like for like or a cheaper zone with the same ticket, as long as the time has not expired.

==================================

Dublin City has the same policy .....

If you still have time left on your ticket, you can use it elsewhere (provided you do not use it in a more expensive zone).

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/how-use-pay-and-display

That's very interesting.

I wonder would they honour it when you bay the €4 daily rate on the harbour (west of Irish Lights building) and move to the street where the hourly rate is cheaper but there is no daily max.
    When you buy a ticket where I'm talking about, say on Thursday at 17:00, it expires Friday at 17:00.

• Advertisement
Advertisement