Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Quarry Road in Cabra a good place to live?

Options
  • 26-07-2016 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi folks. New to Boards so go easy on me.
    I've been renting in Stoneybatter for two years plus, which I love, but now looking to buy. Cabra seems to offer much more bang for your buck and I've viewed a nice house on the Cabra Road end of Quarry Road. But I'm not very familiar with the area. I've walked around twice during the day and it seems fairly quiet. A bit of traffic but nothing like as heavy as Manor Street either. I'll go back some time at night, maybe visit the pub on the road (Homestead, I think). Beyond the roundabout at the end of Quarry seems a lot more mixed on first glance, but to me Quarry Road seems basically grand... Any local knowledge would be much appreciated though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Quarry road is a nice part of Cabra, much of an older generation live there with some families with young couples dribbling in, which in my opinion is perfect, things are fairly quiet but has a community feel to it too.

You are right beside a good few shops, known locally as "Old Cabra" which is where the AIB bank is, local sports centres /gyms are in an abundance with probably the best up on the navan road area.

The Homestead pub has recently changed hands and is currently just being done up to a nice standard, now also serving food, looks like a promising wee pub, I would definitly recomend a visit.

The luas is currently being built in the area, I think your closest stop would be grangegorman or broombridge, which is a huge plus when it does open up, there is already rail links and bus links so public transport this close to the city is not an issue

Outdoor areas are plentiful if you enjoy a walk etc., there are some hidden gems along the canal and in housing estates but also the phoenix park is fairly close by offering all you want in the outdoors.

I guess it would be known for Cabra to be a working class area with a lot of houses being ex-council houses (open to correction with all this, not hoping to offend at all here), there are some areas which are a little bit rough not too far away from you, but you are almost seperated in the quarry road area from these estates, I would bear this in mind, but ask you to make your own mind up on this by visiting at various times of the day and spending some time in your locality. It is well known that there is antisocial issues in areas of cabra ( In my opinion, not in the quarry road area) along with varying levels of crime. However I don't think many areas in this price range is exempt from this.

I actually dont live in that exact area, live in a seperate part of Cabra, but would know the specific locality well.

Any other info I can offer, just pop it im a PM.

Best of luck !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

YourName wrote: »
    Quarry road is a nice part of Cabra, much of an older generation live there with some families with young couples dribbling in, which in my opinion is perfect, things are fairly quiet but has a community feel to it too.

You are right beside a good few shops, known locally as "Old Cabra" which is where the AIB bank is, local sports centres /gyms are in an abundance with probably the best up on the navan road area.

The Homestead pub has recently changed hands and is currently just being done up to a nice standard, now also serving food, looks like a promising wee pub, I would definitly recomend a visit.

The luas is currently being built in the area, I think your closest stop would be grangegorman or broombridge, which is a huge plus when it does open up, there is already rail links and bus links so public transport this close to the city is not an issue

Outdoor areas are plentiful if you enjoy a walk etc., there are some hidden gems along the canal and in housing estates but also the phoenix park is fairly close by offering all you want in the outdoors.

I guess it would be known for Cabra to be a working class area with a lot of houses being ex-council houses (open to correction with all this, not hoping to offend at all here), there are some areas which are a little bit rough not too far away from you, but you are almost seperated in the quarry road area from these estates, I would bear this in mind, but ask you to make your own mind up on this by visiting at various times of the day and spending some time in your locality. It is well known that there is antisocial issues in areas of cabra ( In my opinion, not in the quarry road area) along with varying levels of crime. However I don't think many areas in this price range is exempt from this.

I actually dont live in that exact area, live in a seperate part of Cabra, but would know the specific locality well.

Any other info I can offer, just pop it im a PM.

Best of luck !!!!

Thanks for the detailed response. It more or less confirms my own thoughts and what other Cabra heads have told me about the road. Nothing I've heard or seen yet is a deal breaker. Happy to hear alternative viewpoints if there are any out there, however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Ciaranis wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed response. It more or less confirms my own thoughts and what other Cabra heads have told me about the road. Nothing I've heard or seen yet is a deal breaker. Happy to hear alternative viewpoints if there are any out there, however

I agree totally with the above. Quiet, settled area. Very little in the way of anti social behaviour in this end of Cabra. Access to shops and proximity to town are huge plus points. The only negative would be if you have, or are planning to have children, you might not have too many young families around. If this isn't an issue, work away. Definitely a lot quieter than manor street also.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

kandr10 wrote: »
    I agree totally with the above. Quiet, settled area. Very little in the way of anti social behaviour in this end of Cabra. Access to shops and proximity to town are huge plus points. The only negative would be if you have, or are planning to have children, you might not have too many young families around. If this isn't an issue, work away. Definitely a lot quieter than manor street also.

Thanks a lot. Might be hoping to start a family there but nowhere is perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Ciaranis wrote: »
    Thanks a lot. Might be hoping to start a family there but nowhere is perfect!

Wouldn't let it out you off either. As you say, no where's perfect and if it ticks the boxes otherwise you're flying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cath54

Gaelscoil just off roundabout great primary school just to let you know for the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

I'd agree with everything said already but add 1 or 2 comments:

- I *think* there's a new Luas stop just around the corner at the Liam Whelan bridge (top of Connaught St)
    - It's a very busy road traffic-wise so could be a bit noisey?
    - There's a health centre & a GAA club at the roundabout so could be useful if you do start a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NIGEL89

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some help here, I'm thinking of buying a house in Park View in Cabra. Can anyone shed any light on the park and the adjoining Dungard area which you need to pass through to access Park View?

Is this a safe area to live in? Does there ever be any anti social behaviour or trouble that would put someone off from buying here?

I took a drive by the green area beside Dungard Road on Saturday night and noted there must have been a small fire lit as smoke was smouldering...would this be common?

Advertisement