Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Check Disk for Mac

Options
  • 27-07-2016 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I copied files from my mac book pro to an external harddrive but i cannot see them, when i go to copy the files again i get the message replace despite the fact i cannot see the files.

I opened the hardrive on a windows and the folder the files are stored in will not open

There must be some corruption, i tried the mac scan disk and it did not fix the problem, is there any software to repair the damaged files so i can see them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can you use the Terminal to see the files or directories ? Have you tried repairing permissions ?

How is the external drive formatted ? HFS - NTFS or FAT ?

Ken

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

ZENER wrote: »
    Can you use the Terminal to see the files or directories ? Have you tried repairing permissions ?

How is the external drive formatted ? HFS - NTFS or FAT ?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply, its NTFS

No I cannot see the files or folders, but when i go to drag files into the drive that i cannot see i get the message to replace them

I've tried the check on disk utility and it picked up nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

By default Macs can't write to NTFS drives, do you have any utilities installed to allow this ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    By default Macs can't write to NTFS drives, do you have any utilities installed to allow this ?

Ken

Yes I use the program Mounty allows write to NTFS on mac, works fine

I got the software wondershare data recovery and did a scan and can see the files in the dialog box, need to purchase the full program to do a recovery

• Advertisement

just found a great free software called Lazesoft Recovery, worked great and i was able to recover the corrupted files

http://www.macdatarecoveryfreeware.com/index.html

Thanks for the reply

Advertisement