Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Question on legal requirement for Motorbike Gear

• 27-07-2016 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Whats the requirement for gear on bikes ? ( town driving) ? . Obviously helmet is number 1 .

but what about gloves , jacket , boots etc ?

just for town driving , just curious im always suited up in textiles etc but see lads riding around in tshirts and shorts on sunny days here .

My question is , is there law on clothing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,360 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Helmet and a g-string to protect your modesty. Thankfully anything other than that is at the choice of the rider.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Helmet and a g-string.

goes commando myself so helmet is all ?? :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Helmet and a g-string to protect your modesty. Thankfully anything other than that is at the choice of the rider.

Plus a L tabbard if you have a learner permit for the category of bike you are on (or N tabbard for the first two years after passing your test if you don't hold a full licence for another vehicle category).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Even at the only requirement by law is a helmet, it does not specify an actual "motorcycle helmet"....

Unless you ride an SUV bike..then YOU MUST wear atgatt...its the law.....:P

Even at the only requirement by law is a helmet, it does not specify an actual "motorcycle helmet"....

Says in the original 1978 regulations here that the helmet must have an ECE or BSI approval mark for motorcycle helmets.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You can drive with just a pair of y-fronts and a helmet if you want. You'd be completely covered legally ;)

Please dont though, unless you're a chick. No one needs to see that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Says in the original 1978 regulations here that the helmet must have an ECE or BSI approval mark for motorcycle helmets.

Yes...but most if not all head protection will have a CE/BS standard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Why do the young lads on the mopeds think its "cool" to ride around with the helmet up on their head and keep revving the nutts out of their 50cc mopeds?:rolleyes:
    I have never understood that mentality.:eek:

Yes...but most if not all head protection will have a CE/BS standard...

yep but not the ones specified in the regulations.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why do the young lads on the mopeds think its "cool" to ride around with the helmet up on their head and keep revving the nutts out of their 50cc mopeds?:rolleyes:

To get any movement out of a moped you have to rev the things.

Lid on the head is the same reason they show their jocks, they've no idea why!

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    To get any movement out of a moped you have to rev the things.

Lid on the head is the same reason they show their jocks, they've no idea why!

When I 17,I never constantly revved the nuts off my moped when stopped at the lights.:rolleyes::confused:

But maybe thats why I didnt move though...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My ex was / is a nurse, she told me about a girl coming off her boyfriends scooter with her helmet on the top of her head.

She was scalped by the helmet and was left with gravel on her scull that had to be washed off to it could heal. :eek:

D3V!L wrote: »
    My ex was / is a nurse, she told me about a girl coming off her boyfriends scooter with her helmet on the top of her head.

She was scalped by the helmet and was left with gravel on her scull that had to be washed off to it could heal. :eek:

Yikes,not a nice thing.:eek:

Hope that girl recovered fully and learned her lesson too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When I 17,I never constantly revved the nuts off my moped when stopped at the lights.:rolleyes::confused:

But maybe thats why I didnt move though...:pac:

You never mentioned that they where stopped. Probably the same reason people do any antisocial activity, they're antisocial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

D3V!L wrote: »

jeez on a scooter . shows anything 2 wheeled can lethal.

Take care everyone over the bank holiday weekend

Del2005 wrote: »
    You never mentioned that they where stopped. Probably the same reason people do any antisocial activity, they're antisocial.

I didnt,sorry.

With the revving and helmet up on the head....... I suppose its the cool thing to do when you are that age though.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Saw this online. A fairly low speed spill, but no gear on - INSANE.

pudzey101 wrote: »
    jeez on a scooter . shows anything 2 wheeled can lethal.

Yeah the commonly held among non-bikers idea that a motorcycle is somehow safer by virtue of not having gears is insane.
    Even a moped restricted to 45km/h (vanishingly rare on Irish roads) is plenty to cause serious injury or death.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement