Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2017!!

Options
  • 27-07-2016 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all 😊
    Got my positive this morning, very very early days but had to tell someone as it doesn't feel real! Dd1 just turned 1 and we have been trying for about 6 months. Cycles all over the place and really long, fingers crossed all will go well. Had dreadful spd last time so hoping to avoid it this time round...:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Congratulations Bobbins!!!!
    I'm in the March thread - can't believe there is a new one already!
    Hope you are feeling well! XxX

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

Congratulations Bobbins! I'm in the March thread but due 28/3 so chances are I'll be having an April baby :)
    Hope all is going well for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Thanks guys, so far so good, fingers crossed it will stay that way 😊 congrats to you both as well, it's an exciting time! Dreamstar, in the blink of an eye the May thread will be up!its scary how fast time goes!

I'll be following you both on the March thread, hope you are doing well x

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I got a positive this morning, it's come as a huge shock! Our daughter is just 10 months and this wasn't part of our plan. 🙈 Has anyone got experience of small age gaps between babies?
    I'm back to work part-time next week and dreading telling them. My husband is so excited but I'm just terrified!!

sullivk wrote: »
    I got a positive this morning, it's come as a huge shock! Our daughter is just 10 months and this wasn't part of our plan. 🙈 Has anyone got experience of small age gaps between babies?
    I'm back to work part-time next week and dreading telling them. My husband is so excited but I'm just terrified!!

Congrats Sullivk! Nice to have an other April momma :-) it is overwhelming, our dd just turned 1 so there isn't much btwn us. It's a shock alright if it wasn't on your do to list and It will be busy for sure. Don't worry about work, everything will work out and you don't need to say anything for a while yet. Do you have family close by to help you out if needs be? I suppose the thing is not to be afraid to ask for help if you need it, something I'm not very good at!!

When do you think you're due?

• Advertisement

Thanks Bobbins, I think around April 8th according to my dates. It's just that we live in a tiny house and room is cramped as it is with ourselves, the baby and my 13 year old son!!
    Our parents are nearby for helping out, I think I'm just totally gobsmacked.

Our lives have changed so much since our daughter arrived and now... here we go again! Don't get me wrong- I'm not unhappy about it, just terrified. The plan was to always have another baby in a year or two, not so soon, but I also feel very lucky that this has happened for us and fingers crossed all will go smoothly!

Big congratulations to you!! How are you feeling?

You'll be fine but I know it must be disconcerting when it happens unexpectedly! Good that you have family around anyway ��

I'm feeling good so far, a bit fatigued. Had some spotting on Thursday/Friday so hoping it was implantation bleeding, nothing since so fingers X! I had dreadful nausea and vomiting til about wk 21 last pregnancy so waiting with trepidation now ��

How bout you, any symptoms yet?

Hunger and nausea!! Last time I could not start my day without eating something really heavy and filling, like a big sandwich or something! So that's how I knew to do the test in the first place.
    This is baby number three and although I've had nausea, I've never really had morning sickness so here's hoping this time will be the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Joining the April 2017 thread! Very early days but did the test tonight. We've a 16 month old at the moment so I'm also terrified lol!

Congratulations!! How are you feeling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

sullivk wrote: »
    Congratulations!! How are you feeling?

Not too bad at the moment. I suffered terrible with heartburn day and night the last time so keeping my fingers crossed it won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 buttons1627

Hi everyone... joining the April 2017 thread. Got my positive yesterday morning & another this morning! My little boy is 11 months. I really didn't expect to get pregnant on our first month trying... though we were in for the long haul like the first time. Trying to get my head around it all. I'm absolutely over the moon but in a bit of a panic as well ha ha!!

Big congratulations to you all by the way, a few of us have small age gaps... we could do with all the tips we can get xx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

21 months between my pair (now 25 months and 4 months). Expect it to be manic the first few weeks. Like - manic. Pre-make all the dinners you can for you guys and the toddler.I didn't first time round, I did second time round and my God I was so glad that I did. Expect the toddler to be all over the place! Take deep breaths at the funky behaviour and remind yourself that their world has been overturned. Invest in crayons, jigsaws, books, lego, anything that can amuse your toddler while you feed. Expect to protect the baby's head at all costs from loving sibling "kisses" and "hugs"!!!!!!!! Research slings and double buggies in great depth :) and make sure your washing machine is in good working order (the laundry! It just multiplies!! I still don't know how or why!).

You expect the first to turn your world upside down, but the second...it's a shock. On the upside, you rebound a heck of a lot quicker, no. 2 just comes along for the ride because, well, they have to, and 4 months in, watching my pair having a ball in the bath tonight (obviously I was holding the baby!!) you realise you have some level of control and that this is actually worth it. Even if your social life is essentially on hold and you have a date with a glass of wine every single evening as opposed to just weekends :) !

Ah no, it's utterly nuts but like everything, it works itself out. You really enjoy the tiny baby snuggles second time round because you know how quickly it goes. I love my first child more than anything, but my heart exploded with happiness when I saw the little heartbeat on the screen at my second's 12 week scan - I literally learned the meaning of the phrase "I loved you before I met you" that day.

Enjoy the pregnancies and I hope you all have happy healthy babas! :)

Congrats Leinster and Buttons!! Hope you are both feeling good? Looking forward to seeing how we all progress over next 8/9 months.:o

Btw, are you ladies going public or private? I went public last time but ended up in hospital for about 8 days as waters broke at 36 weeks. I was in a room with some difficult people and I was quite stressed by the time I was discharged. Other than that though I was very happy with the public system in CUMH and don't think I could justify the money either. What are u guys planning?

I went public in the Rotunda and couldn't praise them more. I was in a few days due to bleeding and then they induced me, baby had a couple of nights in NICU and thankfully everything was okay.
    I had to attend a fortnightly breakfast club clinic for gestational diabetes monitoring so I spent ALOT of time there during my pregnancy and have zero complaints. We both had absolutely fantastic care and will definitely be going public again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi everyone,

Unexpected potential father here.

Found out after we were 6 weeks into a 9 week, once in a lifetime trip around South America....so, big surprise! But we're very happy, and have left SA due to Zika threat.

So I'm more of a Boardsie than my partner (had planned on proposing at end of trip, but plans clearly change!!!), so said I'd add to the conversation here. As others have mentioned, it's so early that we have only told our parents.

We had an ultrasound in Peru last week, which told us we were at five weeks. I'm just wondering, what is the next step - do we need to go to doctors to hear baby's heartbeat, etc.?

Also, we live in Dublin 8, and I am sure there's lots of threads on this, but in general what are the benefits/drawbacks to public/semi-private/private? Money is tight but the most important thing to me is that OH is comfortable and gets the most support.

Great thread everyone, looking forward to reading and contributing in the next few months!

Congrats Chase! Exciting times on a fab trip! Funny how life can sneak up on you and turn all of your plans on their head. Yes, you need to register with a gp when u get back and get referred for your booking appt at least in Cork that's how it works. I think I've seen some of the Dublin ladies refer themselves to their hospital of choice. I'm sure someone else will advise u better. As I mentioned in a previous post I went public and think I will again. Antenatal care is one of the few things our health service does well. It's a personal choice. Enjoy the rest of your travels, it'll be all go when you get back

Thanks Bobbins for your reply!

So we actually came back to Ireland - our next destination was a Zika country, so amazingly the insurance was great and sent us home the next day. I'll never forget the craic we had in that hotel room in Lima when we found out.. .

Yeah, we'll register with a gp in either the Coombe or Holles Street when back. From what we've researched we're probably going to be happy to go with Public.

One other question that someone may be able to help with.... Generally, when do people tell other people?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

chases0102 wrote:
    One other question that someone may be able to help with.... Generally, when do people tell other people?!?!

Totally personal choice and everyone is different. First trimester is the most risky period for miscarriage so a lot of people wait until they get past that stage to tell people. So most wait until week 12. I've had a miscarriage before so know the awful feeling of telling people.....actually I'm not pregnant anymore.
    But like I said everyone is different.
    Congratulations!!!

• Advertisement

My preference is to wait until I've had the first scan. On my first we had this privately at around 8 weeks and told ppl about ten weeks. I'm going to wait for hospital scan this time round and hopefully once all is confirmed to be ok will tell ppl then

Congratulations Chases!! Last time I went to the GP who gave me a letter of referral and then I contacted my Dublin hospital of choice. The GP actually didn't even do another pregnancy test so I think this time I'll skip him altogether and just contact The Rotunda directly.

Is your partner taking folic acid supplements? If not she should start these.

We had a private scan at 8/9 weeks last time and told our parents & siblings at 10 weeks. We waited until after 12 weeks to tell everyone else. It's personal preference really.
    We'll probably do the same this time.
    Best of luck to you both, it's a very exciting time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

How come she had an ultrasound in Peru?

You won't hear the heartbeat for a while yet unless you pay for a private scan, definitely not at a gp appointment. Mostly just need to wait until 12 week booking in appointment and get that done and properly start the appointments side of the process.

The general advice is to tell people you would want support from should something go wrong. We (April 2015 baby!) told parents at 10 & 14 weeks, told friends from about 14-20 weeks (one couple at 32 weeks, I was not keen on telling many!), most people like to wait til heartbeat/scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mc81

Hi all, I have joined the April 2017 thread!! :)

have been trying for 8 mths and was starting to lose hope but started feeling nauseas 4 days ago and did test on sunday and got a positive, did clearblue yesterday and got positive stating 2-3 wks gone so very early days but over the moon!

we have a 5 year old who has been begging for a sibling also so very happy household! I'm suffering a lot of cramping this time and nausea but mostly worse in evenings!! Congrats to you all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Hi everyone. We are joining the April 2017thread! Cant believe it. Very nervous at the moment but gona try be positive. I had a very early miscarriage last november and we have been trying since. Did a test Friday but was negative and today it was positive. Going to doctor tomorrow.

I have a 4 and a half year old girl and a little boy who will be 3 in november. Small enough age gap but it is great.Busy but they both get on so well now.

my symptoms so far are a bit of nausea, tiredness, sore boobs and some cramping. I feel like it is my first pregnancy and I dont know whats right and whats not! Im constantly running to the loo to check too!

Gona think positive. Congrats to all here. Its great to have people to share with. We did not tell anyone until after 12 weeks. Hopefully same this time. I might tell my sister a bit earlier depending on how things are going.

I went private and cant fault it. Midwives were excellent. Undecided this time. I have been attending a gynea privately to check all is ok. Does anyone know if that means I now have to go private?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pipina29

Hi all,
    I'm joining this thread too! I am 5 weeks today and my GP already confirmed it. I took a pregnancy test on my period due date, since this time I had none of the usual pms symptoms that I normally get, and it was positive. I'm a little scared because I had a miscarriage early this year and this was the first month we were trying after the miscarriage! I think the full moon helped :D
    We are not going to tell people before the 12 weeks are over, maybe we are telling parents after 8 weeks (my miscarriage was at 8 weeks). I'm definitely choosing the Rotunda, and I'm going private, they were quite good there especially considering the sad circumstances we were going through.
    Waiting is now the hard part, I'm trying to be positive and enjoying it anyway. I'm feeling quite ok, except for a little nausea on empty stomach and tiredness.
    Congratulations and best of luck to everyone!

This really is a great thread.

Congrats everyone!

Can anyone recommend books for new fathers?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mc81

Pipina29 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm joining this thread too! I am 5 weeks today and my GP already confirmed it. I took a pregnancy test on my period due date, since this time I had none of the usual pms symptoms that I normally get, and it was positive. I'm a little scared because I had a miscarriage early this year and this was the first month we were trying after the miscarriage! I think the full moon helped :D
    We are not going to tell people before the 12 weeks are over, maybe we are telling parents after 8 weeks (my miscarriage was at 8 weeks). I'm definitely choosing the Rotunda, and I'm going private, they were quite good there especially considering the sad circumstances we were going through.
    Waiting is now the hard part, I'm trying to be positive and enjoying it anyway. I'm feeling quite ok, except for a little nausea on empty stomach and tiredness.
    Congratulations and best of luck to everyone!

Congrats Pipina29, I was 5 weeks yesterday!! feeling very nauseas and today the tiredness has hit big time! having a lot of cramping which is worrying. last time I had no symptoms until week 7 but ive had symptoms from week 4 this time round!:)

Chases, last time my Husband read The Blokes Guide to Pregnancy by Jon Smith. I had a read of it myself and it was pretty good. No too silly or blokey and jokey like some that you can get. It actually had some very practical advice.

Does anyone else have serious pregnancy bloat? Somedays I look 6 months pregnant by the end of the evening!! (I'm only 6 weeks!)
    Last time I ended up wearing maternity jeans at 9 weeks... difficult to hide from your work colleagues in the changing room at the end of a shift!!!
    Not looking forward to telling work our surprise news as I only started back from maternity leave on Monday... oops ;)

Huge congrats to you both ladies xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Looks like a few of us have conceived after a miscarriage. Im so nervous too. I am a worrier anyway but it has just made me extra nervous. I wont be 5 weeks til Friday. It feels so early... Confirmed with doc today but initially it wasnt showing up and then it did! I was so nervous! Then he said I know what happened last time and we cant control these things so just be positive!! He did not reassure me at all!! Anyway I'm gona try enjoy it until there is reason not to. try!! :) i will be having an early scan around week 7. i have to wait for appointment to come out. No point doing one before then.

Hows everyone feeling?

Advertisement