Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti D

Options
  • 27-07-2016 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question, not medical advice, more hypothetical situation.
    How does the anti D work?

Say for example you've had an anti D previously (in the past 3 years) and you have a trauma, eg, you fall. Does the 1st anti D still stand or can you have more than 1?

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm not sure Lexie. I think you can get it as often as you need, but certainly its not like a vaccine type thing where you are covered for life, because they were going to give me it twice in less than a month.

I'm RH negative too and I had the Anti D after a fall around 35 weeks as a precaution. But then the second time I tripped at about 38 weeks, they were on the fence about giving it to me again. In the end, they ran a Klien-Harr blood test. This tests for foetal blood cells in the mothers blood stream. If they were there then they would have maybe issued me another one, but in the end they weren't so they left me alone.

But then again, I've had miscarriages since, and though I've wondered if the RHneg stuff contributed, it seems not because I've lost them on or before 8 weeks and typically losses due to RHneg antibodies are later into the 2nd trimester. Any medic I've talked about it to has dismissed that as a cause for them.

I'm not sure if that helps you any?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

My knowledge is also a bit sketchy but the guidelines I've been given are; if you're over 12 weeks pregnant and you've had a fall where you hit your stomach, or a bang to the stomach, or any kind of RTA regardless of how minor, you should have an anti d injection. That's the latest I've heard from my own midwife in the last few weeks.

There is an antibody blood screening test done, but from what I can gather, it's only useful in later pregnancy. I'm booked in t have it at 31 weeks.

But you can definitely have more than one. I've had it after 2 miscarriages and ectopic surgery and I had it after I gave birth on my successful pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's just my best friend is about 18 weeks pregnant, had a bad fall yesterday and went to a+e. They didn't give her the anti D injection but she had it previously when she had her first baby. She is rh neg and her first baby was rh positive

I guess I was just worried they didn't give her a second one but wondered maybe the first one would cover her.

Answers were very helpful, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I had anti d a couple of times on my first and after giving birth as she was rhesus positive. I was still given it during my second after a fall. I didn't need it after giving birth as she was rhesus negative. There are only 20 months between my first two. There'll be 16 months between 2 and 3 and I was told that after 12 weeks I'd need to come for anti d after any trauma to the bump or any bleeding. This is the policy in Cork.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's just my best friend is about 18 weeks pregnant, had a bad fall yesterday and went to a+e. They didn't give her the anti D injection but she had it previously when she had her first baby. She is rh neg and her first baby was rh positive

I guess I was just worried they didn't give her a second one but wondered maybe the first one would cover her.

TBH I'd get her to go back in to demand it, or at least a satisfactory answer as to why its not required. It's not worth the risk to not have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Neyite wrote: »
    TBH I'd get her to go back in to demand it, or at least a satisfactory answer as to why its not required. It's not worth the risk to not have it.
    +1 to this. I think there is a window in which anti d should be given too in the event of falls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

She has to get it. I'm RH- and on my second pregnancy. My consultant in Holles Street was very clear about advising me that should I fall or get any kind of knock to the tummy after 12 weeks then it is imperative that the Anti-D shot be administered within 72 hours of the incident. She needs to call her consultant or midwife and she'll be asked to come in.

They didn't do scan yesterday either just checked babies heart beat so she is going to her maternity hospital tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Did she just go to a normal a&e?

She was taken by ambulance to the nearest a+e, she went to the hospital where she's being taken care for this pregnancy and was given the anti D last night and had an internal done and everything is looking ok with the baby thank god, thanks for the answers guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Glad to hear she's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Fantastic, delighted to read the end. I had two or three anti D injections even when it was in doubt whether I needed them. Like I tripped in the kitchen, did no damage to the bump and they insisted I come in for it just in case

Advertisement