Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mapping woes

Options
  • 27-07-2016 8:14am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I went into mapmyride.com this morning to plan a weekend spin, and got this in course creation;

392798.JPG

So preferring to pick l-roads from the high contrast maps in open street mapper I nipped over to the course creator in Garmin connect only to realise it didn't have the maps I wanted, e.g. for the junction I was looking at on OSM it gives

392800.JPG

which is only marginally better than their google offering of

392799.JPG

while the map I'm looking for is

392801.JPG

The reason I like this map is firstly because it shows the trails connecting bits of l-roads together, secondly it matches what I've got on my Garmin, and most importantly I'm not a fan of searching for thin white lines on an off white background or grey lines on a light grey background.

What are other people using for course creation, and do the tools work properly with Open Street Map?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bike route toaster seems ok, with direct access to open street maps as well as mapquest (which reports the same issues as MapMyRide).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use the one on Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I used the one on Strava, but since its blocked at work I switched to https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/create/ with Opencyclemap display.

Strava is great if you prefer main roads, but if you're in L road discovery mode, Bikemap.net is so much better... :) The routing can be hilarious, but I like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I use ridewithgps too or sometimes strava

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Alek wrote: »
    I used the one on Strava, but since its blocked at work I switched to https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/create/ with Opencyclemap display.

Strava is great if you prefer main roads, but if you're in L road discovery mode, Bikemap.net is so much better... :) The routing can be hilarious, but I like it :D

Great site and just what I'm after. Nice simple interface which also allows all the Coilte tracks to be mixed with road routes. Tried it out this evening on a route cutting across Tibradden and Cruagh woods and all worked fine (except for me trying to get up a muddy incline where the wheels and pedals were going forward, yet the bike was going backward)

Advertisement