Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for Griffin

Options
  • 27-07-2016 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭

I dropped my Griffin/Cuboid the other day and I think it's on the way out. The JFC/AFC is now completely loose. I opened it up and it appears to be a pressed fit deck rather than screwed in.

Can anyone recommend a RTA replacement for the Griffin? Is the Griffin 25 worth getting or should I just replace it like for like?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Steve666

Same thing happened mine. Don't think I dropped it, but ya it spins freely now. Someone recommended giving it a slap of a mallet to get it back in, but I couldn't get it back to normal. I got a Gemini then - very similar to the Griffin - extremely similar - but I reckon it's an overall improvement. There seems to be more space between the inside of the glass and the outside of the chamber, so air bubbles are less likely to get stuck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Look to the Sense Herakles line. The RTA 2 gets rave reviews, with many saying it is way better than the Griffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Pondering on it myself, I loved the old Herakles V1, and the Plus, not tried their RTA but every review I've seen on it tempts me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Pondering on it myself, I loved the old Herakles V1, and the Plus, not tried their RTA but every review I've seen on it tempts me

I just received a black & a silver one from E-Dym....€41 inc postage

https://e-dym.pl/gb/on-sale/2528-sense-herakles-rta-2-tank-6ml.html

• Advertisement

I just received a black & a silver one from E-Dym....€41 inc postage

https://e-dym.pl/gb/on-sale/2528-sense-herakles-rta-2-tank-6ml.html

Holy crap! €16!!! Worked out at €23 delivered from 3fvape for me.

Have you tried it out yet?

Yeah I posted that offer here last week, I thought it was only a flash sale, seems it's their general price on it. I can't ignore it, gonna grab one while I'm getting a few flavors.

Never ordered from 3fvape, what are they like for delivery times? You'd have it within a week from E-dym

Just made that order, there's a few FA flavors I needed topping up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Holy crap! €16!!! Worked out at €23 delivered from 3fvape for me.

Have you tried it out yet?

No,not yet,just stocking up on RTA's which will come in useful next year,they might be hard to find after the euro bowlax:D:D

Never ordered from 3fvape, what are they like for delivery times? You'd have it within a week from E-dym

Same as fasttech but a lot of items are 24hour shipped which means you generally get it in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭mossymac!

3fvape : 17, 18, 11 & 25 days

• Advertisement

I'm at 9 days now for a tank from FT, and the tracking number doesn't seem to work

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭mossymac!

FT : 23, NOSHOW, 18, 18, 25, 25, 25, 25, 32, 45, 14, 14, 28, 28, 17, 16, 16, 14, 18

To be fair these are from date of order - so some include 2-7 days b4 package is dispatched. The No Show was China Mail - China Mail Sucks :)

Mine said it was shipped the day after ordering.

Just checked again, and the tracking has updated on mine to "Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE)"

So we shall see. Yesterday the number wouldn't work t all. Hopefully it has been 'despatched' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Can anyone recommend a RTA replacement for the Griffin? Is the Griffin 25 worth getting or should I just replace it like for like?

Wotofo Conqueror, postless rta, fantastic flavour and clouds, top fill, juice control, great AFC, easy to coil and wick, overall superb.

Mine said it was shipped the day after ordering.

Just checked again, and the tracking has updated on mine to "Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE)"

So we shall see. Yesterday the number wouldn't work t all. Hopefully it has been 'despatched' :D

Its generally a week from the time you see :"Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE)"

jno547 wrote: »
    Wotofo Conqueror, postless rta, fantastic flavour and clouds, top fill, juice control, great AFC, easy to coil and wick, overall superb.

Sounds good, I have the Sapor which i love.

I see there's a sapor RTA out now, very low juice capacity though which put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

I see there's a sapor RTA out now, very low juice capacity though which put me off.

These small capacity tanks are a pain, the Moonshot is another excellent rta but your constantly filling, having said that, it is a fabulous little tank.

Its generally a week from the time you see :"Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE)"

Not so bad, my Herakles RTA will probably here before it so I'll have something to play with anyway :D Be cool to do a comparison on them, if they arrived same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I'm not too impressed by the flavour of the rta2. Every other 24/25 mm tank I've had beats it. It wins on wicking though, hands down.

The flavour is there but very muted, no matter what air flow setting. Its OK.. Reasonably disappointed, have dual fused Claptons so should be great flavour. I've tried a variety of liquids I'm very familiar with now.

Might have the try the billow v3 plus and the conqueror.

moleyv wrote: »
    I'm not too impressed by the flavour of the rta2. Every other 24/25 mm tank I've had beats it. It wins on wicking though, hands down.

Ah balls. From what I read the flavour is on a par with the griffin which is acceptable for me I guess.

• Advertisement

Most reviews I've watched on the RTA 2 disagree, but as ever, I'll judge for myself ;) If it's better than the Avocado, that'll do me. I have the Mage on the way too and that's apparently got amazing flavour

Yeah judge for yourselves, just I will say..

Griffin
    Griffin 25
    Avocado 24
    Tornado
    Tornado nano
    TF RTA

.. all have about 50% better flavour.

I used fused Claptons in all of them.

When you guys have them, let me know if ye find something that works well.

I've not tried fused Claptons at all yet, must give it a go some time. I only use SS wire atm, I find it better than the standard Clapton wire I have [bog standard 26/32 stuff] - the Clapton I have is very crackly and spitty.

I was impressed with the Avocado to begin with, but over time I'm finding it's not as flavorful as I initially thought. I still find the Bellus better, and even the Cleito RTA. I am hoping the Herakles is better. I will build some dual SS coils on it once I get it and give a good testing.

Most of the reviews I've seen on it at least, hailed it as being better in most ways than the Griffin, with some saying it was in or around the same flavor-wise, but much nicer to build on with better airflow. There's vids out there of people going 200w on it, I won't be going anywhere close! I think the higher you go, the harder it is to get decent flavour, which is why I stay around the 40-50w range and tend to build wider coils, though keep the ohms low enough - 0.3 - 0.4

Just flicked through some of the old reviews on it there, inc SMM, Ruby, Grimm etc ...

It seems they all think the flavor is good, but they do suggest to close the airflow down a bit, and mention that, as with any RTA [as most of them are pretty much alike these days] it can boil down to your build. And I'd agree on that. I'm thinking now on my Avocado 24, I used to think it was great, but now it's kind of meh ... so I thought about what might have changed - well, it's the build I stuck in there. I switched from Claptons to ss wire, and since then I think the flavour has been muted. Which is very weird, because I'm finding the complete opposite with my other rebuildables! SO I'll try Claptons in there again later, maybe that one is more a thicker wire tank?

Oh, they all definitely agree that it has much better flavour than the first edition, the RTA 4 [the one with the 4 air holes, with 2 below the posts] so at least there's that

I also noticed I keep switching between the UK and US spelling of 'flavour' :D

Most of the reviews I've seen on it at least, hailed it as being better in most ways than the Griffin, with some saying it was in or around the same flavor-wise, but much nicer to build on with better airflow. There's vids out there of people going 200w on it, I won't be going anywhere close! I think the higher you go, the harder it is to get decent flavour, which is why I stay around the 40-50w range and tend to build wider coils, though keep the ohms low enough - 0.3 - 0.4

My build was around 0.35 ohms. I used the strands of fused Clapton, then wrap them myself.

I tried it at like 50w with small airflow up to 120w with wide open airflow. Could def go higher on the wattage. Flavour was best around 90w for 70/30 and 110w for 85/15.

It puts out more clouds than anything I've ever had, but that's all I see it as, not built for flavour.

Different things suit people differently, so don't be put off, might just be me.

Maybe I'm just being spoiled by the kfv5 and squape x dream clones and I'm numb to everything else.

The billow v3 plus is a nice idea, I'd say it might be a winner. Aromamiser supreme is way better too, just hard to get just right.

Of course, it's all about your wicking method, the power you vape at, how much cotton etc ... I just threw together some spaced Claptons [0.42ohm] for the Avocado there, and hitting them at 60w, and it is an improvement already. It's just that kind of tank, prefers fatter builds. Obviously that's with brand new cotton in there, a clean of the tank and refill with a diff juice, but so far so good

To think, only a few months back I hated the idea of RDA/RTA or any kind of rebuildable. I was just being lazy. Now I can just go do that in a matter of minutes, tis great :)

Feck it...just ordered this too!

https://www.fasttech.com/p/4842700

Looks a decent clone. One thing to be very wary of with the Avocado, is that little insulator at the top of the pin, when taking it apart. If you lose that, it's screwed. But I haven't actually taken mine apart in ages, when I want to clean it now I just remove the wicks, open the juice ports up, and flush it out with warm water. I did take it apart when I first got it, just to try the other o-rings in there, and switched to the clear glass - it came fitted with the frosted.

If anyone happens to buy the Herakles RTA mini btw, I'd be interested in trading spare glass, a large for a mini. Can't find them available anywhere separate

• Advertisement

As an update to the herakles rta2 (as I gave it a hard time), it has improved. Still there are better RTAs to my mind, if only they all switched to the herakles style of wicking.

Advertisement