Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4th "extra time" sub in the FA cup

• 27-07-2016 12:06pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Will only kick in from the quater-final stage but I think it is a great decision.
    FA chief executive Martin Glenn said the fourth sub will add "extra intrigue and interest."

"Also, from a technical point of view, it will be interesting to see how managers use the chance to make an additional substitution in such high-profile games and the impact it has on the final result," added Glenn.

"Player welfare and being mindful of the number of games people play at the elite level has also been a consideration."

Obviously players tire and are more likely to succumb to injury late in games and therefore it could be very beneficial to be able to sub off an extra player in extra time.

Also it would mean that managers would be able to make their 3 subs in the 90 mins without having to worry about if they should save 1 incase the match goes to extra time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

great stuff.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,662 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I actually think they should go further and allow anyone with a head injury either time out to be properly assessed with a temporary sub, or allowing an extra sub to cover that scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Extra time should be scrapped altogether,just go straight to penalties after 90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Beasty wrote: »
    I actually think they should go further and allow anyone with a head injury either time out to be properly assessed with a temporary sub, or allowing an extra sub to cover that scenario

Great idea. As for the extra sub that's a fantastic idea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Will only kick in from the quater-final stage but I think it is a great decision.

While I think it's a great idea, I think it's bizarre that it only kicks in from the quarters. Are players not going to be just as tired in extra time of a replay in an earlier round?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think you'd be seeing a lot of head injuries.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,662 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As you know it's a topic that's very close to my heart. There have been a number of clear examples of people playing on when concussed, risking very serious consequences if they take another blow to the head. Many sports are starting to introduce a 2 week return to action protocol and that should be extended across all sports in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

While I think it's a great idea, I think it's bizarre that it only kicks in from the quarters. Are players not going to be just as tired in extra time of a replay in an earlier round?

Well it's not an FA idea as such, if it happens it'll be part of the ongoing FIFA/IFAB trial which will include the knockouts in the Olympics next month.
    Its not the sort of thing the FA could arbitrarily decide to do on their own.

Presumably IFAB only want it to be done in small segments of competitions during the trial period, and then they'll analyse the effects to see whether its suitable for all knockout comps etc.

As you know it's a topic that's very close to my heart. There have been a number of clear examples of people playing on when concussed, risking very serious consequences if they take another blow to the head. Many sports are starting to introduce a 2 week return to action protocol and that should be extended across all sports in my view.
    Just a pity doctors and physios won't do their jobs really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dont like it.

Its the continuing Americanisation of the game.

What next, rolling subs like in American Football or basketball.

Next we will all be calling it soccer instead of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's about time we seen something like this but it should be for every round and not just QF's onwards.

The sooner this becomes a permanent part of the game at every level the better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,205 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Dont like it.

Its the continuing Americanisation of the game.

What next, rolling subs like in American Football or basketball.

Next we will all be calling it soccer instead of football.

You do realise you're posting in the Soccer forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You do realise you're posting in the Soccer forum?

latest?cb=20130813194642

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think it'd work if they put a minimum amount of time off if a player had to be treated for a head injury and couldn't return. If someone is subbed off and can't return with a head injury, not allowed play for 2 weeks or something and would stop managers taking the piss to use an extra sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,205 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

latest?cb=20130813194642

The things people call jokes these days....

Advertisement