Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay at home Dads

Options
  • 27-07-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello all,
    Just wondering if there are many stay at home Dads out there? I'll be minding my 11 month old daughter for the summer. While I love the opportunity to spend time with her and bond it can be difficult at times. Any suggestions for enjoyable activities (free if possible; ) for both baby and myself?
    Go raibh maith agaibh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Welcome to the club .

I'd recommend trips to the like of Parks and the zoo with a blanket and picnic ,
    I have my 2 full time bar the summer break for colleges ,
    Depending on where your based look out for local events geared towards family's,
    I'll usually try make st Stephen's Green or one of the seaside towns along the dart line once a week too

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

My 2 love going to the playground, we live close to the sea so even a walk on the beach does the trick, read her stories and get her interested in the library - even just looking at the books, stroll around town into the toy shop and pet shop (don't bring money!!), playing with her and her toys, cuddle up to watch a favourite cartoon - that's what we did and it's worked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I took a year off twice for both my sons and don't regret it for a second. As others have said just get out and go for walks, playground etc. And don't let the
    weather keep you housebound. Get full rain gear and you still get a break outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

At home on maternity leave with my two year old (I'm obviously a woman!!) .We hit the local parks, bring along a bike or scooter some days.Occasionally playgrounds.We are lucky enpugh to be near several large castles with grounds and she'll happily run for miles in the open space!We go to the shppping centre every couple pf weeks or to a coffee shop down the road-I get a latte, she gets a babycino (LOVES her 'coffee'!) We visit other people on maternity leave ( maybe not an option for you') or she plays in our garden which we have a small wooden playhouse and slide, amd a small junior trampoline(30eur in Smyths).There's a 'rainy day' box in the cupboard with paints, new colouring books, amd odd bits of toys, for the bad weather.We also do a LOT of duplo, colouring and toy kitchen playing.There are several nearby beaches, so amy time on those she loves.This week we're going to go to town (Dublin) to get some bits and I'm toying with the idea of a Dart or Luas trip while at it.
    The zoo is on our hit list too.Keep it simple really, they can be easily amused.Don't be afraid to let her get bored a bit too- sit back and watch what she does to entertain herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Thanks for all the brilliant suggestions! I'll definitely make use of them. I'm realizing the hardest part is not having any adult company throughout the day. My partner leaves for work at 7am and usually gets home at 6.30 so it feels like a long day. I should try to arrange meeting granny and some friends more regularly I suppose. Thanks again for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You should also look out for some local parent and toddler groups in your area where you can meet other parents in the same situation which is always nice to see,
    Library's check them regularly to see if they have any events on for kids too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My OH was a stay at home Dad to our son full time for 5 months last year and otherwise a few days per week. He normally does shift work but adapted quickly to being home full time. He loved it. 11 months is a great age to be out and about with a baby as they are interested in what's going on, while still being pretty easy to manage. Other than the usual walks, parks etc. they go swimming together every week and in the younger days he would even go fishing with baby in a sling. It's harder to do that now that he is a toddler. He usually calls home to his parents/sis every two weeks or so. He also brings him on any errands - shopping, library, digging worms for fishing (you can see a theme...).

I think it's important to do adult activities as much as child centred activities. Definitely agree that having good weather gear, and maybe consider a sling, means you can do almost anything together really.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I remember a story a granny told me, she was minding her grandchild and took the child around with her on her daily routine - the child gradually got to know, the butcher, shopkeeper and all the other business people she would go to, this went on until the child went to school. As a result the child was brimming with confidence, well informed, knew people around town and the business people missed the child's visits as they had built up a rapport with the child - so bring the little one around with you, show her the shops, street names etc, it'll mean nothing to her now, but keep doing it and it will sink in, it would be a great start to her in life in your town.

Advertisement