Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Did I read somewhere that there are difficulties buying cars from Motorpoint and bringing them to Ireland? Was it payment issues maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its a residency issue, they have a silly policy where they will not sell a used car to a non UK residence due to Brexit. Some people mentioned giving them a NI address as a workaround but I'd just buy somewhere else rather than jumping through their hoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

bazz26 wrote: »
    Its a residency issue, they have a silly policy where they will not sell a used car to a non UK residence due to Brexit. Some people mentioned giving them a NI address as a workaround but I'd just buy somewhere else rather than jumping through their hoops.

Been looking at cars and don't see much of a saving really. I've been looking second hand cars pre '10 mostly. Is it for newer cars the cash is to be made going across??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have been looking for a 2014/15 Audi A4 or BMW 320D in NI only (don't want to take the hassle to fly and come back by ferry).

I can't seem to find exact model on VRT calculator. Is it possible to get the exact VRT charge by searching through UK licence plate?

The Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series are some of the more common cars imported, you may be doing something wrong in the VRT calculator if you cannot located them in there.

• Advertisement

For example they don't have automatic A4 black line edition on VRT calculator.
    And the amount shown fixed or it could be plus minus 1000 euros?
    Many thanks for help
    bazz26 wrote: »
    The Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series are some of the more common cars imported, you may be doing something wrong in the VRT calculator if you cannot located them in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

plus I reckon

The VRT calculator is a rough guide, it is not a set in stone price. Alot of the time it can be accurate but it's not a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

My car wasn't in it too, so I checked nearest similar and when Revenue gave me the price it was approximately the same. So try to find the model closer to yours with the same CO and same transmission and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Was just wondering now.

Donedeal is overflooded with English reg cars and they conveniently say vrt price. With all deadlines, isn't it a bit dodgy buying English reg car here? What would be even process?

In fairness, you can get some really great bargains in UK now, just all the hassle really putting me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

To be honest, it's not much hassle. If you buy from a reputable dealer, most of the transactions can be done before you go. You will only be less than a hour in the dealership and then on the way to the boat. There is a delay in getting the vrt done but you will get an appointment within the month. The only hassle I had was selling my car privately here.
    Was just wondering now.

Donedeal is overflooded with English reg cars and they conveniently say vrt price. With all deadlines, isn't it a bit dodgy buying English reg car here? What would be even process?

In fairness, you can get some really great bargains in UK now, just all the hassle really putting me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Hi Guys,
    Just looking over this thread and have a question.
    I bought my car back a couple of days ago.
    Just about to book the VRT appointment now.
    With regard to the V5C form, the dealer gave me the original section 10 part of the form and a photocopy of the page with section 4,5,6,7 and 8 on it.He said he had to send it off to the DVLA.
    My question is, is the V5C original section 10 enough for the VRT here to be completed along with bank statements etc.?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi Guys,
    Just looking over this thread and have a question.
    I bought my car back a couple of days ago.
    Just about to book the VRT appointment now.
    With regard to the V5C form, the dealer gave me the original section 10 part of the form and a photocopy of the page with section 4,5,6,7 and 8 on it.He said he had to send it off to the DVLA.
    My question is, is the V5C original section 10 enough for the VRT here to be completed along with bank statements etc.?
    Thanks in advance.

Not a hope; as you were a non resident he should have handed you all the parts of the V5C that he had and then simply notified DVLA by letter of a sale to a non resident. You will not be able to Register it and pay the VRT until you get a formal notification from the DVLA. His mistake but it's likely to result in you having a VRT penalty cost. It might be harsh to say it but you would have been better off consulting this thread before the purchase, not after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Question:
    The vrt website states that you need documentary evidence of your ppsn no - something from the revenue commission.

Will a medical card and page from HSE stating name and address suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Marcusm wrote: »
    Not a hope; as you were a non resident he should have handed you all the parts of the V5C that he had and then simply notified DVLA by letter of a sale to a non resident. You will not be able to Register it and pay the VRT until you get a formal notification from the DVLA. His mistake but it's likely to result in you having a VRT penalty cost. It might be harsh to say it but you would have been better off consulting this thread before the purchase, not after.

Thanks for your reply.
    I rang the dealer just there and they hadn't sent the form off yet so he is posting the original to me now.
    Thank God for that.
    So when he sends the letter of sale to a non resident to the DVLA will the DVLA then contact me? Will I not be able to pay the vrt until they contact me even if I have the full V5C form.

Once you have the full V5c form your ok to VRT the car. When you VRT it the NCT will take the V5c form off you and then they will process it which includes notifying the DVLA that the car has been permanently exported from the UK afaik. You need to do nothing at that end.

Thanks for your reply.
    I rang the dealer just there and they hadn't sent the form off yet so he is posting the original to me now.
    Thank God for that.
    So when he sends the letter of sale to a non resident to the DVLA will the DVLA then contact me? Will I not be able to pay the vrt until they contact me even if I have the full V5C form.

The DVLA will never contact you and you don't need them to as you will never be the registered keeper in the U.K. You need to bring the form to the NCTS centre and complete the VRT process and then you'll get a degree no and after you tax it you'".ll get the Irish ref cert in your name which is all you'll ever need. In case the dealer has second thoughts, tell them to read the instructions with the form which tells them to give the entire* form to you.

*entire is a bit of a misnomer as when the dealer took it intrade one of the sections will have been clipped to let DVLA know. In reality you need pages 1 and 2 but get as much as you can.

Question:
    The vrt website states that you need documentary evidence of your ppsn no - something from the revenue commission.

Will a medical card and page from HSE stating name and address suffice?

Do you have a public services card? Or a balancing statement or tax demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PJ4

Hi,

My Dad has offered to give me his Citroën Berlingo van (2016). The van was brought in the UK. How much will it cost me to get the van registered in Ireland? Any information, links, online calculator etc would be great. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with a very good guide on importing, read first post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 magic123

Guys,advice needed again.just got car in uk,vrt boked for wed.invoice is on my name but want register car on my wife's name.is there any extra form or letter needed to do it?thanks

I am just wondering if a UK dealer can deliver the car to Ireland ? I could pay extra money. Any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I am just wondering if a UK dealer can deliver the car to Ireland ? I could pay extra money. Any idea?

Some do but you'd prob be better off going with one of the local dealers who can source a car for you in the U.K. The biggest problem with a UK dealer doing it, is that you'd be committing and paying for the car before they'd even consider it.

There are some businesses that will collect a car in the UK and deliver back to Ireland. I can't think of the name of any but a quick google should put you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

magic123 wrote: »
    Guys,advice needed again.just got car in uk,vrt boked for wed.invoice is on my name but want register car on my wife's name.is there any extra form or letter needed to do it?thanks

Nope, just make sure your required paperwork is in her name and maybe bring her along just in case they need to see her.

Anyone here tried this service? Any good feedback?
    Some do but you'd prob be better off going with one of the local dealers who can source a car for you in the U.K. The biggest problem with a UK dealer doing it, is that you'd be committing and paying for the car before they'd even consider it.

There are some businesses that will collect a car in the UK and deliver back to Ireland. I can't think of the name of any but a quick google should put you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Hi all, have vrt coming up on weds and worried about evidence of shipping. Have Stena line receipt showing date and my name plus car but no vehicle details in receipt as didn't have details at time of booking. My name is on stena receipt but car in my mothers name...i got car on her authorisation. Will this be an issue? Stena line booking is same day as car sale invoice. Sale invoice in mothers name. Appreciate ur advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

Hi again . Bit confused. Ye might help.
    I bought privately 2 weeks ago in U.K.. The seller filled out the sections 10 new keeper details and gave it to me. The rest of the sections they filled out and sent to Swansea. I signed section 8 declaration also. I'm trying to get clarification from them on whether they filled section 11 notification of export -I'm presuming they did.
    Anyway I rang the DVLA to get an update on when my new registration would be sent to me. She wasn't very helpful and said something like they wouldn't do any processing with it until I send them form V756 which is an application for a certificate of permanent export(v561)
    This form says you fill it only when you do not have a Vehicle Reg Cert V5C but that was sent by the seller.
    Am I misunderstanding?
    Thanks

Moggaman wrote: »
    Hi again . Bit confused. Ye might help.
    I bought privately 2 weeks ago in U.K.. The seller filled out the sections 10 new keeper details and gave it to me. The rest of the sections they filled out and sent to Swansea. I signed section 8 declaration also. I'm trying to get clarification from them on whether they filled section 11 notification of export -I'm presuming they did.
    Anyway I rang the DVLA to get an update on when my new registration would be sent to me. She wasn't very helpful and said something like they wouldn't do any processing with it until I send them form V756 which is an application for a certificate of permanent export(v561)
    This form says you fill it only when you do not have a Vehicle Reg Cert V5C but that was sent by the seller.
    Am I misunderstanding?
    Thanks
    again, without meaning to sound harsh, you should have read up before you went over. The UK private seller should have given you the entire v5c and not filled out or sent off any sections to Swansea. It is not a permaanent export case as the registered keeper (i.e. The private seller) has not exported it. Swansea is not interested in dealing with you, understandably as you could be anyone. Under no circumstances will they issue you with a v5c in your name as you are neither the registered keeper nor a U.K. Resident. I think you will have to get back on to the seller and ask them to obtain a duplicate v5c which they can send to you and contemporaneously they can notify Swansea by letter that they have sold the car to a person who lives abroad.

You'"" be lucky to get it in time to VRT it without penalty. This must have been explained 50 times in this thread and is also set out in the guidance notes for the v5c.

inabina wrote: »
    Hi all, have vrt coming up on weds and worried about evidence of shipping. Have Stena line receipt showing date and my name plus car but no vehicle details in receipt as didn't have details at time of booking. My name is on stena receipt but car in my mothers name...i got car on her authorisation. Will this be an issue? Stena line booking is same day as car sale invoice. Sale invoice in mothers name. Appreciate ur advice.

They want to see a ticket but with the purchase date so close they won't be particularly fussed about the name. It's not as if you are asserting that you bought it 3 months ago and kept it abroad until now - that's why they want proof of importation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

Marcusm wrote: »
    again, without meaning to sound harsh, you should have read up before you went over. The UK private seller should have given you the entire v5c and not filled out or sent off any sections to Swansea. It is not a permaanent export case as the registered keeper (i.e. The private seller) has not exported it. Swansea is not interested in dealing with you, understandably as you could be anyone. Under no circumstances will they issue you with a v5c in your name as you are neither the registered keeper nor a U.K. Resident. I think you will have to get back on to the seller and ask them to obtain a duplicate v5c which they can send to you and contemporaneously they can notify Swansea by letter that they have sold the car to a person who lives abroad.

You'"" be lucky to get it in time to VRT it without penalty. This must have been explained 50 times in this thread and is also set out in the guidance notes for the v5c.

Thanks. Yeah clearly didn't do my homework enough .. thought I did at the time.

Advertisement