Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

Marcusm wrote: »
    again, without meaning to sound harsh, you should have read up before you went over. The UK private seller should have given you the entire v5c and not filled out or sent off any sections to Swansea. It is not a permaanent export case as the registered keeper (i.e. The private seller) has not exported it. Swansea is not interested in dealing with you, understandably as you could be anyone. Under no circumstances will they issue you with a v5c in your name as you are neither the registered keeper nor a U.K. Resident. I think you will have to get back on to the seller and ask them to obtain a duplicate v5c which they can send to you and contemporaneously they can notify Swansea by letter that they have sold the car to a person who lives abroad.

You'"" be lucky to get it in time to VRT it without penalty. This must have been explained 50 times in this thread and is also set out in the guidance notes for the v5c.

Firstly Marcusm , I am glad if your help here. I am not trying to be awkward but I am still a little baffled.
    See an extract from The AA uk website below , I suppose that is why I was confused.

Notify DVLA
    You must tell DVLA as soon as possible that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle. It's in your own interest to do so, as you don't want to be landed with any of the new driver's future offences and convictions.

As the seller you will need to complete the new keeper details on the V5C and sign the declaration along with the buyer. It is your responsibility to send the completed V5C to DVLA having first given the buyer the V5C/2 section - their proof of keepership until they receive a new V5C from DVLA.

This is exactly as I have done but because it is being exported i.e. An Irish address on the new keepers details it will not happen.?? if I lived in Brighton and did exactly as above there would be no issue, I would get my new V5C in the post?? but because I live in Ireland they want confirmation of export before they send me the new V5C?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Take a look here. It explains exactly what should have been done.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/for-12-months-or-more

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Moggaman wrote: »
    Hi again . Bit confused. Ye might help.
    I bought privately 2 weeks ago in U.K.. The seller filled out the sections 10 new keeper details and gave it to me. The rest of the sections they filled out and sent to Swansea. I signed section 8 declaration also. I'm trying to get clarification from them on whether they filled section 11 notification of export -I'm presuming they did.
    Anyway I rang the DVLA to get an update on when my new registration would be sent to me. She wasn't very helpful and said something like they wouldn't do any processing with it until I send them form V756 which is an application for a certificate of permanent export(v561)
    This form says you fill it only when you do not have a Vehicle Reg Cert V5C but that was sent by the seller.
    Am I misunderstanding?
    Thanks

Had this same issue a while back , rang DVLA and explained situation they confirmed I'd need cert of permanent export which they said would take 4-6 weeks , I sent off v756 , a couple of days later I receive original v5 in post from DVLA with cover letter explaining sellers error sending v5 to DVLA in first place so u might get lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Moggaman wrote: »
    Firstly Marcusm , I am glad if your help here. I am not trying to be awkward but I am still a little baffled.
    See an extract from The AA uk website below , I suppose that is why I was confused.

Notify DVLA
    You must tell DVLA as soon as possible that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle. It's in your own interest to do so, as you don't want to be landed with any of the new driver's future offences and convictions.

As the seller you will need to complete the new keeper details on the V5C and sign the declaration along with the buyer. It is your responsibility to send the completed V5C to DVLA having first given the buyer the V5C/2 section - their proof of keepership until they receive a new V5C from DVLA.

This is exactly as I have done but because it is being exported i.e. An Irish address on the new keepers details it will not happen.?? if I lived in Brighton and did exactly as above there would be no issue, I would get my new V5C in the post?? but because I live in Ireland they want confirmation of export before they send me the new V5C?thanks

You're reading the wrong part. There is a separate instruction for what to do if you sell to a person who does not have a UK address. Such a person can never be issued with a v5c. It may be that the DVLA will intervene and post to you the one which has been sent to them by the seller or it may require the seller to seek a new one to send to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

https://www.ncts.ie/1155

Lists all docs you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

https://www.ncts.ie/1155

Lists all docs you need.

In that list is the evidence of previous registration the V5C form?

In that list is the evidence of previous registration the V5C form?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The V5c document is the car's UK log book.

again, without meaning to sound harsh, you should have read up before you went over. The UK private seller should have given you the entire v5c and not filled out or sent off any sections to Swansea. It is not a permaanent export case as the registered keeper (i.e. The private seller) has not exported it. Swansea is not interested in dealing with you, understandably as you could be anyone. Under no circumstances will they issue you with a v5c in your name as you are neither the registered keeper nor a U.K. Resident. I think you will have to get back on to the seller and ask them to obtain a duplicate v5c which they can send to you and contemporaneously they can notify Swansea by letter that they have sold the car to a person who lives abroad.

You'"" be lucky to get it in time to VRT it without penalty. This must have been explained 50 times in this thread and is also set out in the guidance notes for the v5c.

So the latest is I sent off an email to the DVLA explaining that the seller incorrectly sent them the V5C and asked them to send it to me or back to them. They replied saying they do not send them outside Uk. Funny thing is I rang them before I got email reply and a nice Welsh man told me they were sending in the post to me in Ireland!!. I have read this thread through and nowhere does it mention the inconsistency in the Irish VRT site where it asks people to produce evidence of previous registration ( which is the V5C) AND certificate of permanent exportation(V561).
    Now it seems to me that the majority of people went successfully to the VRT office with just the V5C and with no cert of perm exportation (obviously they had all other docs utility bills etc).
    Is the V5C on its own ok then.
    I have not recieved the V5C yet!! however I did fax over to the DVLA an application form for the Cert of Exportation in case I need it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

It does not say that you need both a V5C AND cert of exportation. See below from NCTS VRT page. One or the other.

Evidence of previous registration e.g. foreign certificate of registration, a certificate of permanent exportation or a certificate of de-registration in the case of a vehicle imported from outside the EU, as appropriate, if the car has been previously registered. (A Vehicle Salvage Certificate cannot be used to register a vehicle from 20th February 2012) If the car has not been previously registered a Certificate of Conformity is required (this document will be retained by NCTS so please ensure you make a copy of it before you go to the test centre). Please provide original documentation only.

• Advertisement

Harcrid wrote: »
    It does not say that you need both a V5C AND cert of exportation. See below from NCTS VRT page. One or the other.

Evidence of previous registration e.g. foreign certificate of registration, a certificate of permanent exportation or a certificate of de-registration in the case of a vehicle imported from outside the EU, as appropriate, if the car has been previously registered. (A Vehicle Salvage Certificate cannot be used to register a vehicle from 20th February 2012) If the car has not been previously registered a Certificate of Conformity is required (this document will be retained by NCTS so please ensure you make a copy of it before you go to the test centre). Please provide original documentation only.

Thanks, I believe you are right but that is not how it reads .

My understanding is that normally if you the Permanent Export Cert then it means the V5C was already sent by the previous owner to the DVLA in Swansea so technically you should not have both. Afaik the NCTS will accept either when VRTing the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 magic123

Guys,just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Just followed all advices given here and yesterday got irish reg plates fitted. The whole process buying car in uk and registering in ireland was very straight forward, thanks to you all :-)

Hi guys,

Would any of ye be able to tell me if you can use several cards when paying for the vrt on the day. I would be looking to use my debit card and wife's debit card as our bank has a low limit. Do the vrt centre have a limit on how many cards you can use for the transaction?
    Thanks.

Hi Guys,
    Some of you might have seen my earlier post with regard to the V5C form. I received it in the post today but they have only sent me page 1. I already have section 10 from page two but the garage that I bought the car off have just told me on the phone that they have thrown away the rest of page 2 with sections 9,11 and 12 on it for reasons unknown. Do I have any hope of success with the vrt inspection having only page one and section 10 of page 2 with me? Thanks.

Hi Guys,
    Some of you might have seen my earlier post with regard to the V5C form. I received it in the post today but they have only sent me page 1. I already have section 10 from page two but the garage that I bought the car off have just told me on the phone that they have thrown away the rest of page 2 with sections 9,11 and 12 on it for reasons unknown. Do I have any hope of success with the vrt inspection having only page one and section 10 of page 2 with me? Thanks.

All the info they require is in sections 4-7 so absent getting someone impractical (not unlikely in my experiences), it should be sufficient. Also make sure you can identify the VIN stamped on some part of the chassis/body of car. The first one I did, she tried to insist on finding one on the underbody rather than the suspension tower in the engine bay.

All the info they require is in sections 4-7 so absent getting someone impractical (not unlikely in my experiences), it should be sufficient. Also make sure you can identify the VIN stamped on some part of the chassis/body of car. The first one I did, she tried to insist on finding one on the underbody rather than the suspension tower in the engine bay.

Thank fook for that. Thank you.

Lads on the vrtvpd2 form section 3. It's confusing me slightly, do I fill this part in? I bought the car myself and my name is on the invoice.
    It states;
    "Person/Business who purchased the vehicle outside the state if not the proposed registered owner"
    The terminology is throwing me.
    Thanks.

Lads on the vrtvpd2 form section 3. It's confusing me slightly, do I fill this part in? I bought the car myself and my name is on the invoice.
    It states;
    "Person/Business who purchased the vehicle outside the state if not the proposed registered owner"
    The terminology is throwing me.
    Thanks.

It would be if you used a car sourcing company etc.

It would be if you used a car sourcing company etc.

I didn't use a car sourcing company so I leave this section blank do I??

• Advertisement

Got the car VRT'd and new Irish plates put on today, no hassle thank God. There was a queue out the door with p*ssed off people trying to pay and process paperwork they had forgotten with their initial inspection. Luckily I had an appointment and she flew through it. Took about twenty minutes in total for me some people said they had been waiting over an hour and a half in there today.

Thanks to everyone on here for your help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Maybe this has been asked before.

I am looking for an agency who could pick up the car from England and deliver to my home in ROI?? I have already contacted the dealer in England and they could offer only to bring the car to the ferry port.

One more question, the car is still under manufacturers warranty, will it be under warranty in ROI?

Why not just collect it at the ferry port yourself and drive it back? It will work out a lot cheaper than paying a middleman to do it for you. You also get to view and test drive the car before taking it away which imo is critical.

Manufacturers warranty depends on the manufacturer as some warranties in the UK were longer than Irish ones and the extra length could have been given by the UK distributor which may not be honoured by the distributor over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Just a quick one lads.

Is there time of the year the VRT price drops ?

I dont want to buy a car in January to find the price dropping in February for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just a quick one lads.

Is there time of the year the VRT price drops ?

I dont want to buy a car in January to find the price dropping in February for example

Not really, in fact I've noticed VRT prices going up or staying the same for a longer period than usual. Usually happens when the number of imports increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Not really, in fact I've noticed VRT prices going up or staying the same for a longer period than usual. Usually happens when the number of imports increases.

I expect the price to drop from December to January due to vehicles being a year older but i thought around April or so in the car industry was when prices dropped as did VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Has anyone had to supply this Documentation as per step 8 on revenue Guide to Vehicle Registration Tax page. If so what is this documentation that they require?
    Documentation (as approved by the Revenue Commissioners) confirming the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture.

allimac wrote: »
    Has anyone had to supply this Documentation as per step 8 on revenue Guide to Vehicle Registration Tax page. If so what is this documentation that they require?
    Documentation (as approved by the Revenue Commissioners) confirming the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture.
    Yea that's on the UK form V5.
    Going for my vrt check tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Sound, thought there might be other docs required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Out of curiosity, is there a way to find out what the latest registration number is for any particular year.

I'll be importing a 08 - D next week so curios as to what number I might get :P

Advertisement