Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Keep typing regs into motorcheck or the likes, until they stop returning cars, add about 10 or 15 more numbers onto that and you won't be far off your own number! It'll be over 127,000 anyway

Edit:

I did the donkey work for you

Last registered car on motorcheck is 08 D 127795

Bearing in mind that the system probably hasn't been updated in a few weeks, with Christmas, yours will probably be 08 D 128xxx, probably, somewhere around 128020 (if you were to register it in the coming days)

Once you get it done it'll probably make a lier out of me! Guessed for someone before and I wasn't far out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Keep typing regs into motorcheck or the likes, until they stop returning cars, add about 10 or 15 more numbers onto that and you won't be far off your own number! It'll be over 127,000 anyway

Edit:

Bearing in mind that the system probably hasn't been updated in a few weeks, with Christmas, yours will probably be 08 D 128xxx, probably, somewhere around 128020 (if you were to register it in the coming days)

Once you get it done it'll probably make a lier out of me! Guessed for someone before and I wasn't far out though!

I did the donkey work too and ended on 127795

I would quite like 128020 so i hope your prediction is correct!!

If you are, I owe you a beer voucher! :D

Tune in on next Wednesday , 11 JAN 17 to find out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Possibly buying a car in the North next month. Whats the best way to get the money across. Bought a car in England last year but my bank made a bloody killing of me with their exchange rate. I did a bank transfer. Is there an easier, less pricy way for me to purchase it?

Possibly buying a car in the North next month. Whats the best way to get the money across. Bought a car in England last year but my bank made a bloody killing of me with their exchange rate. I did a bank transfer. Is there an easier, less pricy way for me to purchase it?

Transferwise is probably the cheapest and easiest option. The problem is it will take 2 days to clear but seeing as you are going up north, you could go view the car, pay a small deposit in cash and the rest using Transferwise, then head back up to collect the car once payment has cleared into sellers account.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

ION08 wrote: »
    Transferwise is probably the cheapest and easiest option. The problem is it will take 2 days to clear but seeing as you are going up north, you could go view the car, pay a small deposit in cash and the rest using Transferwise, then head back up to collect the car once payment has cleared into sellers account.

I used TW 3 weeks ago to buy in Belfast. Was in their account the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭grebtol2

What are the reasons given usually by those advising to not purchase from a private seller in the UK?

There's the warranty issue, I can think of security in terms of handing over a large amount of cash, difficulties in arranging a pre-purchase inspection maybe too.

If you identify what looks to be a legitimate seller, the car's records are impeccable, the car passes a rigorous inspection and you're happy with your own security arrangements handing over the money are there any pitfalls in purchasing from a private seller? Would the NCTS quibble with a hand written receipt with the seller's details? You would have travel receipts as additional proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭grebtol2

Also, has anyone successfully used a Revolut card to purchase from a dealership in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

grebtol2 wrote: »
    What are the reasons given usually by those advising to not purchase from a private seller in the UK?

There's the warranty issue, I can think of security in terms of handing over a large amount of cash, difficulties in arranging a pre-purchase inspection maybe too.

If you identify what looks to be a legitimate seller, the car's records are impeccable, the car passes a rigorous inspection and you're happy with your own security arrangements handing over the money are there any pitfalls in purchasing from a private seller? Would the NCTS quibble with a hand written receipt with the seller's details? You would have travel receipts as additional proof.

The same pitfalls as buying from a private seller over here especially one who is not local to you.

I just brought back my latest car from the UK on Thursday and it was a cash sale with a private seller, as were all of my previous cars.

As always, I am delighted with my purchase, car was exactly as described and as expected it to be and the transaction was very smooth.

Maybe I have been lucky but I find UK cars to be (a) way better maintained and (b) sellers to be much more open and honest about their cars.

Unfortunately same can't be said for my (attempted) buying experiences in ireland.. too many times have cars been described as "mint" over the phone only to be absolute buckets which I've had to walk away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

When buying a car in Northern Ireland what can we use as proof of entry to Ireland?

I'm thinking toll receipt?

• Advertisement

hamhamwich wrote:
    When buying a car in Northern Ireland what can we use as proof of entry to Ireland?

Did you buy private or off a dealer?

hamhamwich wrote: »

I'm thinking toll receipt?

You should not need proof of entry from NI. A purchase invoice from the dealer should be enough. If you bought privately then either get the seller to scribble one up or just do one up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

Did you buy private or off a dealer?

Have not bought yet...just getting the process clear in my head.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    You should not need proof of entry from NI. A purchase invoice from the dealer should be enough. If you bought privately then either get the seller to scribble one up or just do one up yourself.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

www.usedcarsni.com/2012-Audi-A5-S-LINE-TDI-Black-Edition-Styling-176766776

Have my eye on this car. How much do you think I could reasonably bargain of the price with alloys included? Would £14,995 with alloys included be a reasonably good deal?

djPSB wrote: »
    www.usedcarsni.com/2012-Audi-A5-S-LINE-TDI-Black-Edition-Styling-176766776

Have my eye on this car. How much do you think I could reasonably bargain of the price with alloys included? Would £14,995 with alloys included be a reasonably good deal?

Why wouldn't the alloys be included?... he's not gonna sell it sitting on bricks :P

Is it because it says "optional extra"?... I would take that to mean that it was an optional extra when car was new, not that it will cost you an additonal £795 if you want them on the car.

I would aim for £14500 if you are taking it to export.

Why wouldn't the alloys be included?... he's not gonna sell it sitting on bricks :P

Is it because it says "optional extra"?... I would take that to mean that it was an optional extra when car was new, not that it will cost you an additonal £795 if you want them on the car.

I would aim for £14500 if you are taking it to export.

They are aftermarket replica Audi rims, it will probably be sold with the standard wheels that came with it if a buyer doesn't want to pay extra for the replicas. Very normal for dealers in the North to fit aftermarket replica rims on these type of cars, seems to be a thing up there with appealing to young buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

bazz26 wrote: »
    They are aftermarket replica Audi rims, it will probably be sold with the standard wheels that came with it if a buyer doesn't want to pay extra for the replicas. Very normal for dealers in the North to fit aftermarket replica rims on these type of cars, seems to be a thing up there with appealing to young buyers.

How much are the replica alloys worth?

Are they poor quality?

Well if the seller wants £800 extra for them then they probably cost him a bit less. I'd also bet they probably have cheap unheard of branded tyres on them too as usually they are sold together as a bundle. If they were real Audi 20" rims with good tyres you would probably pay at least twice that for them. Replicas are hit and miss and never as good as the real ones, I would not have much faith in keeping 20" alloy wheels intact on poor Irish roads especially replicas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I just brought back my latest car from the UK on Thursday and it was a cash sale with a private seller, as were all of my previous cars.

As always, I am delighted with my purchase, car was exactly as described and as expected it to be and the transaction was very smooth.

Maybe I have been lucky but I find UK cars to be (a) way better maintained and (b) sellers to be much more open and honest about their cars.

Unfortunately same can't be said for my (attempted) buying experiences in ireland.. too many times have cars been described as "mint" over the phone only to be absolute buckets which I've had to walk away from.

There's a lot of dodgy dealers in the UK though. Loads of small non-marque garages, would probably describe them in the same vein as the Naas Road dealers. Found some cars but when you look up the garage selling them, you'd want to be wary. Never heard anything bad regarding buying privately, and anyway it makes no difference when you are buying in the UK anyway as you are hardly going to drive back to get the car serviced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Going to Cargiant this weekend with a bit of luck, hoping the car I'm looking at doesn't sell by then - as Cargiant doesn't seem like a standard dealer, would ye still recommend getting the Dekra inspection done, or would the cars be safe enough?

Everything looks well & car passed MOT last month, & full service history.

• Advertisement

Surely if you want to guarantee the car is there when you arrive then you need to put a deposit on it before hand? Either that or have a number of other cars nearby lined up to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Shlippery wrote: »
    Going to Cargiant this weekend with a bit of luck, hoping the car I'm looking at doesn't sell by then - as Cargiant doesn't seem like a standard dealer, would ye still recommend getting the Dekra inspection done, or would the cars be safe enough?

Everything looks well & car passed MOT last month, & full service history.

They turnover stock pretty fast so I would not bet that it will still be there

Yea, they don't take deposits due to high turnover of cars, there are a few options i'm interested in though, so with a bit of luck, I'll get sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Hey guys quick question on the OP (Thanks to the OP!)

He says he brought the following to the VRT appointment in addition to the required forms: invoice, utility bill, P60, ferry ticket and bank statement. I imagine thats for proof of purchase, address, PPSI number, date of entry. But whats the bank statement for?

Utility bill or bank statement, just for proof of address.

Edit:

I did the donkey work too and ended on 127795

I would quite like 128020 so i hope your prediction is correct!!

If you are, I owe you a beer voucher! :D

Tune in on next Wednesday , 11 JAN 17 to find out :D

VRT'd it yesterday.... you were way off Im afraid :P

08-D-1278XX

ION08 wrote:
    VRT'd it yesterday.... you were way off Im afraid

Ahh no!!!

How long does it the for the details to trickle down to the motortax website?

I entered my Reg nr and last 7 Digits of VIN and its still giving me an error since Wednesday

Not to beat a dead horse - but one last Q with regards to Cargiant, heading over tomorrow , with the intention of driving home in something tomorrow night! I've 5 or 6 cars earmarked, so with a bit of luck they won't sell before tomorrow morning!

I've been searching through past threads and here and saw mention of them holding a car for 24 hours for Irish people? Is that still a thing?
    I've some test drives booked in, but wary that Friday could be a busy day for buying cars!

Appreciate the feedback! - did the motorcheck thing as well to see an idea of the potential reg! Handy :P

EDIT: Called them up, they did indeed offer to hold a car for me until I got there, but unfortunately, one person is viewing it tonight at 8pm! So they advised to call after to reserve it, just in case they don't buy it! - other than that, very accommodating, so getting good vibes so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

Hey guys quick question on the OP (Thanks to the OP!)

He says he brought the following to the VRT appointment in addition to the required forms: invoice, utility bill, P60, ferry ticket and bank statement. I imagine thats for proof of purchase, address, PPSI number, date of entry. But whats the bank statement for?

You're welcome!

As Noccy said already, it was for proof of address. My utility bill, bank statement and P60 were all generated from pdf from the internet and the VRT office insisted on at least one original document. To keep them (and revenue happy) I had to print my pdf bank statement and then go to my bank to get it stamped by the bank to prove it was valid. The stamped version was accepted.

Advertisement