Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Shlippery wrote: »
    Not to beat a dead horse - but one last Q with regards to Cargiant, heading over tomorrow , with the intention of driving home in something tomorrow night! I've 5 or 6 cars earmarked, so with a bit of luck they won't sell before tomorrow morning!

I've been searching through past threads and here and saw mention of them holding a car for 24 hours for Irish people? Is that still a thing?
    I've some test drives booked in, but wary that Friday could be a busy day for buying cars!

Appreciate the feedback! - did the motorcheck thing as well to see an idea of the potential reg! Handy :P

EDIT: Called them up, they did indeed offer to hold a car for me until I got there, but unfortunately, one person is viewing it tonight at 8pm! So they advised to call after to reserve it, just in case they don't buy it! - other than that, very accommodating, so getting good vibes so far.

Did you check to make sure that you can drive away same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rizdub

quick question about VRT.
    my friend brought the car from UK for me as i could not travel.
    the invoice and v5c has got his name and details.
    i m going to do VRT now and want to register this car on my name.
    Do I need to take him for VRT appt as well?
    or should i simply fill my details in the VRTVPD2 document under Q.3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hi just lookin for some confirmation;

I VRT'd a May 2008 registered car.

Will I get a 2 year NCT for this once I put it through the test?

rizdub wrote: »
    quick question about VRT.
    my friend brought the car from UK for me as i could not travel.
    the invoice and v5c has got his name and details.
    i m going to do VRT now and want to register this car on my name.
    Do I need to take him for VRT appt as well?
    or should i simply fill my details in the VRTVPD2 document under Q.3

The fact that the V5 has his name on it wont matter. Just re-do the invoice in MS Word and fillout the VRTVPD2 in your name and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

ION08 wrote: »
    How long does it the for the details to trickle down to the motortax website?

I entered my Reg nr and last 7 Digits of VIN and its still giving me an error since Wednesday

It's the last SIX digits of the VIN. Mine took approx 24 hours last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are busy this time of year processing new cars too so it might take a bit longer than normal.

Hi just lookin for some confirmation;

I VRT'd a May 2008 registered car.

Will I get a 2 year NCT for this once I put it through the test?

Yes, you should. My understanding is that you will get an NCT for one or two years (depending on age) from the date of registration in Ireland.

I'm in for an NCT on Monday for a March 2009 car. Registered in Ireland on 5th Jan 2017. I expect to get a two year NCT from 5th Jan to 2017 to 4th Jan 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Hoping to head up North next weekend.

Would anyone have any thoughts on a 134bhp A5 as opposed to a 177 bhp A5.

www.usedcarsni.com/2012-Audi-A5-S-LINE-TDI-Black-Edition-Styling-176766776

www.mcautosales.co.uk/used-AUDI-A5-Magherafelt-Aberdeenshire--1012313

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

djPSB wrote: »
    Hoping to head up North next weekend.

Would anyone have any thoughts on a 134bhp A5 as opposed to a 177 bhp A5.

www.usedcarsni.com/2012-Audi-A5-S-LINE-TDI-Black-Edition-Styling-176766776

www.mcautosales.co.uk/used-AUDI-A5-Magherafelt-Aberdeenshire--1012313

I'd only look at the 177 out of those too. Very underpowered otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Only one variant of the A7 3.0 engine (that I've never even heard of) coming up on the VRT website. Anyone else experience of an A7 on it?

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    I'd only look at the 177 out of those too. Very underpowered otherwise.

I'd only look at the 3.0 TDI Quattro tbh! :P

I'd only look at the 3.0 TDI Quattro tbh! :P

You should check out the BiTurbo so, 313bhp.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You should check out the BiTurbo so, 313bhp.
    Sure look, you may aswell do it right and go for the RS7! :D

Sure look, you may aswell do it right and go for the RS7! :D

Not really that comparable; I seem to recall that secondhand, the gap between 3.0 and 3.0 Bi on the A7 Quattro is not that much of a stretch pricewise.

Yes, you should. My understanding is that you will get an NCT for one or two years (depending on age) from the date of registration in Ireland.

I'm in for an NCT on Monday for a March 2009 car. Registered in Ireland on 5th Jan 2017. I expect to get a two year NCT from 5th Jan to 2017 to 4th Jan 2019.

...and that's exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Can anyone describe the process when you arrive to have your car inspected and pay the VRT? - Are you dealing with one person for paperwork and the inspection?

Do they go over every extra by looking up the VIN?

On the VRT calc, they have the SE version of my car but not the Sport, will it make much difference? - CO2 is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Can anyone describe the process when you arrive to have your car inspected and pay the VRT? - Are you dealing with one person for paperwork and the inspection?

1 person, take the docs off you, you take a seat, sign a few bits, follow them out to the car, they'll check the vin, mileage, trim and gearbox (in my case anyway). Back inside, they'll tell you the price, you pay, they'll give you a sheet with the spec and info, you sign saying it's correct. Get your receipt, happy days, can tax from the next working day using the pin they give and can book NCT too

lads, I just booked my NCT for this Thursday but I forgot that I don't have a Log Book.

I have just checked the motortax website and it is showing as "awaiting to be issued" so it probably won't arrive by Thursday!

Will they still put the car through the NCT? (what if I show them my VRT receipt which contains all of the details anway)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oystercatcher

Hi Guys,

Is there anyway of estimating the final cost of bringing a new car into Ireland from UK, and is it generally considered worthwhile to buy a car costing say Stg30,000 into Ireland?

Thanks.

lads, I just booked my NCT for this Thursday but I forgot that I don't have a Log Book.

I have just checked the motortax website and it is showing as "awaiting to be issued" so it probably won't arrive by Thursday!

Will they still put the car through the NCT? (what if I show them my VRT receipt which contains all of the details anway)

If the car is a newly registered import then you will not receive the log book until you first tax the car. When it's taxed then the log book will then be processed and sent to you. They do it this way in order to get you to pay your motor tax.

They should still do the test but if they do ask for the logbook and you don't it they will just hold onto the NCT pass cert until you come back and produce the log book. In reality they probably will not ask for it so I'd go ahead and play by ear.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Is there anyway of estimating the final cost of bringing a new car into Ireland from UK, and is it generally considered worthwhile to buy a car costing say Stg30,000 into Ireland?

Thanks.

Use the Revenue online VRT calculator, it will give you a pretty good idea of what it will cost but it's not a written in stone figure.

And research what similar cars are asking for here if you are saving money on importing when you take exchange rate, VRT, flights, ferry, etc into account.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the car is a newly registered import then you will not receive the log book until you first tax the car. When it's taxed then the log book will then be processed and sent to you. They do it this way in order to get you to pay your motor tax.

They should still do the test but if they do ask for the logbook and you don't it they will just hold onto the NCT pass cert until you come back and produce the log book. In reality they probably will not ask for it so I'd go ahead and play by ear.

Yeah I already paid the tax on it so just a matter of receiving the log book. I rang up NCT customer service and they said it should be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

ION08 wrote:

Yep the a4 page VRT receipt is proof enough and will cover you for the NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was going for Petrol but my circumstances will be changing next month and ill be driving a good bit more (few decent monthly motorway trips) so diesel suits my needs better. With that my choices are pretty big and I've narrowed it down to a VW CC GT 140bhp.

So looking on auto trader the prices are very attractive, I'd be looking at a 2012 for my budget of £8-9k plus VRT.

My questions are:
    1. What is considered high mileage on these for that age? All seem to be around 80k to 110k. 4 year old diesel car doing 20-25k sounds about right to me. I see some with 130/140k aswell are they best avoided?

2. For those who have bought these, what do I need to look out for and ask the dealer what work has been done?

3. I don't want to buy privately so when people say dealer do they mean a main dealer or just from some small independent?

Much appreciated thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Is transfer mate still regarded as the best for currency exchange?

Yep the a4 page VRT receipt is proof enough and will cover you for the NCT

Log book arrived yesterday the day of the NCT .... didn't even ask for it. Just asked for my licence

(Also, Passed with no advisories :D ... I was sure that being a UK import in for it's 1st NCT they would try to find something for the sake of it)

Any issues with a scanned copy of the V5c? or do they insist on originals?

They will only accept the original. Why would you want to keep it anyway and only give them a copy if your registering the car here?

I only have a scanned copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Yep originals only. I used to hold onto a copy of it myself just for my own records of the cars history.

How come you only have the scanned copy?

Advertisement