Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is an MOT has good as an NCT. When I have to get one here, I wont get any nasty surprises, will I if it passed the MOT only last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

rob316 wrote: »
    Is an MOT has good as an NCT. When I have to get one here, I wont get any nasty surprises, will I if it passed the MOT only last month?
    Should be but it's no guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thanks

Just put down a deposit on one, any recommendation for an inspection they all run about the same price. Dekra Comprehensive for £180 looks good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thanks

Just put down a deposit on one, any recommendation for an inspection they all run about the same price. Dekra Comprehensive for £180 looks good to me.

Was very happy with the AA one

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Thanks

I used the RAC and found it good value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Great thread OP, really informative. Considering heading over for my next purchase.

Does anyone have an experience exporting a vehicle and part exchanging? Checked the VRT rebate on my own car, a 2004 X5 3.0d. Looks like I can get a rebate of over 2k even after the admin fee (I see this is only €100 now). Values look stronger in the UK on these (£4k+ for similar spec/mileage on autotrader)

- Does the amount increase for options as it would brigning a car in? This one has pretty much everything, widescreen nav, front & rear heated seats, electric rear seats, rear screens & DVD etc
    - It came in from the U.K. originally about 10 years ago, would it still have a U.K. Reg to make re registering easier?
    - Anyone here experience of part ex'ing an Irish car in the U.K.?

Potential here to realize more value out of the car with that VRT rebate included than just selling it locally (might fetch €4.5k here)

Appreciate any insight from anyone having done this before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Anyone use revolut app to buy a car in UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

MOT is a joke. I have got my lovely one imported not long ago with a valid MOT Test and almost no mileage since the test. Blowing exhaust (looks like it has been like that for over a year), no reverse light, no windscreen washer - just to point out the very obvious faults and I am not going into the details, no point.

And interestingly, the car passed all 10 last MOT Tests over the years with no faults :D. Covered very tiny mileage during that time though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

ford2600 wrote: »
    Anyone use revolut app to buy a car in UK?

I looked into it but there is a daily transaction limit which scuppered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Bought a car up North at the weekend and did a HPI check this morning.

It indicates the number plates were changed. Should this be a concern or could there be a legitimate reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

djPSB wrote: »

It indicates the number plates were changed. Should this be a concern or could there be a legitimate reason?

It might be that the owner or new owner was putting on a private plate (so that they can have their own lettering or that nobody knows the year of the car)

Has the car had more than one previous owner?

Pete123456 wrote: »
    It might be that the owner or new owner was putting on a private plate (so that they can have their own lettering or that nobody knows the year of the car)

Has the car had more than one previous owner?

It was a Lex Lease car. Only owner.

The RAC check report is saying 0 owners. That can't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Would you not do the check before you bought it ?

liam7831 wrote: »
    Would you not do the check before you bought it ?

I've just a deposit on it. Haven't paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

I've just a deposit on it. Haven't paid for it.

Oh ok, is it a private sale or garage as most garages include HPI check free

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

When at the VRT centre, do you have to pay there and then once they do the calculation, or do you have a certain grace period?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You don't have to pay there and then but you are still under the 30 days rule from the date the car entered the country (not the date of the VRT appointment) to complete the registration process. You won't get an Irish registration number until you first pay the VRT. Outside of that 30 days you will incur VRT late penalties which are calculated on a daily basis.

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    When at the VRT centre, do you have to pay there and then once they do the calculation, or do you have a certain grace period?

No you do not have a "grace period". You are expected to pay there and then otherwise they will not VRT/register your car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

What is the general consensus when it comes to the VRT online calculator and the actual bill when revenue process your lovely new car on UK plates? Can there be a major difference in what you were quoted online and what you actually have to hand over?

MarkN wrote: »
    What is the general consensus when it comes to the VRT online calculator and the actual bill when revenue process your lovely new car on UK plates? Can there be a major difference in what you were quoted online and what you actually have to hand over?

Not from the experiences I had, assuming you can find an Exact match for the car you are importing.

I usually check the calculator again on the day of the appointment and bring a printed quatation with me to "help" them along :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Similar recent experience - the HPI test should show the original plate had a 'clean' history.

Garage owner told me that up the north - if the car comes in on English plates they are often / normally swapped to NI plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

MarkN wrote: »

Mine was exactly the same as what was on the VRT calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

1 person, take the docs off you, you take a seat, sign a few bits, follow them out to the car, they'll check the vin, mileage, trim and gearbox (in my case anyway). Back inside, they'll tell you the price, you pay, they'll give you a sheet with the spec and info, you sign saying it's correct. Get your receipt, happy days, can tax from the next working day using the pin they give and can book NCT too

Are we suppose to get this PIN on the day or does it come later via text/email?

hamhamwich wrote: »
    Are we suppose to get this PIN on the day or does it come later via text/email?

Itll be the last 6 digits of your VIN

• Registered Users Posts: 18 caffers3

Was just having a look at cars online and was checking the MOT history. Any reason why there would be two MOT tests in such a short time when the result of the May test was a pass?

MOT history of this vehicle
    Test date:19 October 2016
    Expiry date: 18 October 2017
    Test Result Pass
    Odometer reading 29,961 miles
    MOT test number 1963 8077 9299

Test date: 19 May 2016
    Expiry date: 19 May 2017
    Test Result: Pass
    Odometer reading 24,906 miles
    MOT test number 1543 6304 4121
    Advisory notice item(s)
    under trays and engine covers fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

1 person, take the docs off you, you take a seat, sign a few bits, follow them out to the car, they'll check the vin, mileage, trim and gearbox (in my case anyway). Back inside, they'll tell you the price, you pay, they'll give you a sheet with the spec and info, you sign saying it's correct. Get your receipt, happy days, can tax from the next working day using the pin they give and can book NCT too

Does the price usually equate to that on the revenue site? I often have a look and think they're value of the car is a lot higher than it should be

sm3ar wrote: »
    Does the price usually equate to that on the revenue site? I often have a look and think they're value of the car is a lot higher than it should be

By the price I presume you mean price of car not VRT?

The OMSP determined by revenue is often wide of the actual mark. They severely overvalue and in some cases undervalue certain cars..

However the VRT you pay does most of time equate to that on the revenue site

When getting a rate off transfermate, are you supposed to negotiate with them?

Their rate today is same as AIBs.

When getting a rate off transfermate, are you supposed to negotiate with them?

Their rate today is same as AIBs.

Really doubt that... what's the amount in sterling you want to transfer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

caffers3 wrote: »
    Was just having a look at cars online and was checking the MOT history. Any reason why there would be two MOT tests in such a short time when the result of the May test was a pass?

MOT history of this vehicle
    Test date:19 October 2016
    Expiry date: 18 October 2017
    Test Result Pass
    Odometer reading 29,961 miles
    MOT test number 1963 8077 9299

Test date: 19 May 2016
    Expiry date: 19 May 2017
    Test Result: Pass
    Odometer reading 24,906 miles
    MOT test number 1543 6304 4121
    Advisory notice item(s)
    under trays and engine covers fitted

Was there a change of ownership? When living in the U.K., I bought 6 cars. Where applicable, each had a freshly issued MOT. It's normal practice at main dealerships.

Advertisement