Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

ION08 wrote: »
    Really doubt that... what's the amount in sterling you want to transfer?

£16,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

A quick question for you folks please,

I am going to the NCT Center to have my car assessed tomorrow after importing it in from the UK last week.

I note I have to provide a document that is approved by the Revenue Commissioners that certifies the vehicles CO2 level.

Can anyone advise me what kind of document will do? Will the UK V5 do? It has the CO2 level recorded on it.

That is the only document that I am having trouble with. Have everything else I'm fairly sure.

BTW, I was looking back over the thread to see if my Q was answered before I posted. I saw lots of talk about paying for cars in the UK.
    I paid for mine with a Bank Of Ireland Visa Debit Card and had no problem at all, €11,000 approx. Much better than Bank Transfer if you ask me.

Anyway, hope someone can advise me on the "revenue approved CO2 document"

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Corcioch wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me what kind of document will do? Will the UK V5 do? It has the CO2 level recorded on it.

Thanks.

That's all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

djPSB wrote: »
    £16,000.

Transferwise 18,752 Euro

AIB fx calculator 19,109 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Thanks to this thread, successfully bought from CarGiant on 14th Jan, VRT'd and got the Irish plates stuck on yesterday! Just leaves NCT & to tax it now!

Delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Corcioch wrote: »
    A quick question for you folks please,

I am going to the NCT Center to have my car assessed tomorrow after importing it in from the UK last week.

I note I have to provide a document that is approved by the Revenue Commissioners that certifies the vehicles CO2 level.

That is the only document that I am having trouble with. Have everything else I'm fairly sure.

BTW, I was looking back over the thread to see if my Q was answered before I posted. I saw lots of talk about paying for cars in the UK.
    I paid for mine with a Bank Of Ireland Visa Debit Card and had no problem at all, €11,000 approx. Much better than Bank Transfer if you ask me.

Anyway, hope someone can advise me on the "revenue approved CO2 document"

Thanks.

Debit card seems like a great option. Is there a maximum transaction limit? If I were to go to UK I'd prob be spending just under 30k. Could always front load a credit card too maybe?!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

MarkN wrote: »
    Debit card seems like a great option. Is there a maximum transaction limit? If I were to go to UK I'd prob be spending just under 30k. Could always front load a credit card too maybe?!

Just be sure to check with the dealer because not all will take credit cards, and some will take them but charge a percentage (up to 3% from what I've read) for doing so. 2% of 30k is 600 quid!

Debit card does seem like a great option. I know it's like electronic cash but will a dealer be as inclined to bargain with a debit card as paper money in front of him? Would you still get the "cash discount"?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MarkN wrote: »

You should be able to pre authorize increasing the limit with your bank in advance. Some dealers will charge extra for using a credit card as the transaction costs them money too, something like 1% or 2% of the amount which is substantial if your spending thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Just be sure to check with the dealer because not all will take credit cards, and some will take them but charge a percentage (up to 3% from what I've read) for doing so. 2% of 30k is 600 quid!

Debit card does seem like a great option. I know it's like electronic cash but will a dealer be as inclined to bargain with a debit card as paper money in front of him? Would you still get the "cash discount"?

A UK dealer would charge you more to take cash in note form where he has forgery risk and cash handling fee for bank than he would a debit card which is the normal method for non finance purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Shlippery wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread, successfully bought from CarGiant on 14th Jan, VRT'd and got the Irish plates stuck on yesterday! Just leaves NCT & to tax it now!

Delighted!

How smooth did the process go with them?
    Did you use bank draft for payment or what?
    Was insurance a pain to sort out?
    Is it a 6 hour run to Holyhead, any idea what's best ferry to aim for, I'd be thinking try to get out of London at 11 at the latest to avoid traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Marcusm wrote: »
    A UK dealer would charge you more to take cash in note form where he has forgery risk and cash handling fee for bank than he would a debit card which is the normal method for non finance purchases.

Interesting... I brought cash the last time I went but it was only a few thousand... if I was going again I'd probably go the debit card route!

How smooth did the process go with them?
    Did you use bank draft for payment or what?
    Was insurance a pain to sort out?
    Is it a 6 hour run to Holyhead, any idea what's best ferry to aim for, I'd be thinking try to get out of London at 11 at the latest to avoid traffic?

Bank draft for the price of the cheapest car I wanted & then a few brown envelopes of sterling just in case!

Went smooth to be fair, flew to Luton in the morning, straight to Cargiant for 10:30, took the one I wanted for a short spin, checked over it, saw through the whole service history and was happy to proceed, had the deposit on the car by 11:30, they take £200 first as a deposit while they prepare the car for you, then you go to collections building when the car is ready, where the cashier will look after the balance and get you your keys, v5c etc. They're well familiar with exporting to Ireland, said they get tons at it, so they know exactly what to do with regards to paperwork and documentation.

Only delay, was I had to get them to fix something minor in their workshop nearby ((Bonnet clip, nothing mechanical!), the salesman had spotted the issue when taking it for a test drive, and he went to get it rectified before we went any further! He checked first if it would be fixed in time for me to catch the ferry before letting me proceed with the purchase!

Fortunately all went well, only annoying thing is listening to their little pitch on getting this "GardX" stuff for the car, they show you a video and try get you to buy it, I just watched it to pacify him as I know it's not their choice / commission based, I just declined after the shpiel was done! Seems like part of the script and they gotta stick to it :) !

Got the 8:30 Stena Lines ferry from Holyhead, last one of the day, it's a healthy enough drive, I drove non-stop the whole way as thought it might be tight for time, but you should be grand really, there's a good window between 10 and 2:30 there to make it to the ferry.

But, you'd really want to be there before noon on the weekends because the place is MANIC on a Saturday.

Also, have a few cars picked out to suit your budget, as they seriously turn over a serious amount of cars & they're open til 10pm! One of the ones I wanted to see was gone at 9:50pm the night before I flew! ( :P still happier with the one I got in the end however!)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭grebtol2

Bank draft for the price of the cheapest car I wanted & then a few brown envelopes of sterling just in case!

Went smooth to be fair, flew to Luton in the morning, straight to Cargiant for 10:30, took the one I wanted for a short spin, checked over it, saw through the whole service history and was happy to proceed, had the deposit on the car by 11:30, they take £200 first as a deposit while they prepare the car for you, then you go to collections building when the car is ready, where the cashier will look after the balance and get you your keys, v5c etc. They're well familiar with exporting to Ireland, said they get tons at it, so they know exactly what to do with regards to paperwork and documentation.

Only delay, was I had to get them to fix something minor in their workshop nearby ((Bonnet clip, nothing mechanical!), the salesman had spotted the issue when taking it for a test drive, and he went to get it rectified before we went any further! He checked first if it would be fixed in time for me to catch the ferry before letting me proceed with the purchase!

Fortunately all went well, only annoying thing is listening to their little pitch on getting this "GardX" stuff for the car, they show you a video and try get you to buy it, I just watched it to pacify him as I know it's not their choice / commission based, I just declined after the shpiel was done! Seems like part of the script and they gotta stick to it :) !

Got the 8:30 Stena Lines ferry from Holyhead, last one of the day, it's a healthy enough drive, I drove non-stop the whole way as thought it might be tight for time, but you should be grand really, there's a good window between 10 and 2:30 there to make it to the ferry.

But, you'd really want to be there before noon on the weekends because the place is MANIC on a Saturday.

Also, have a few cars picked out to suit your budget, as they seriously turn over a serious amount of cars & they're open til 10pm! One of the ones I wanted to see was gone at 9:50pm the night before I flew! ( :P still happier with the one I got in the end however!)

Was there any movement on price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

grebtol2 wrote: »
    Was there any movement on price?

In my experience the price is the price they don't haggle over a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

If you bought a Yaris Hybrid in uk , can the odo be changed to klm instead of mls?

mad m wrote: »
    If you bought a Yaris Hybrid in uk , can the odo be changed to klm instead of mls?

Just go into Settings

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks I'm looking at a 2.0 Highline BMT Passat in the UK for £8,500. It was registered in November 2013 and has a full VW service history.

The garage selling it provide AA 128 point inspection reports on all their vehicles. They are sending me over a copy of this report but the salesman has said no items were highlighted in the report.

Would anyone here think an additional inspection would be necessary? I've asked and they have said that is no problem at all.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Folks I'm looking at a 2.0 Highline BMT Passat in the UK for £8,500. It was registered in November 2013 and has a full VW service history.

The garage selling it provide AA 128 point inspection reports on all their vehicles. They are sending me over a copy of this report but the salesman has said no items were highlighted in the report.

Would anyone here think an additional inspection would be necessary? I've asked and they have said that is no problem at all.

Get them to send you the HPI check

liam7831 wrote: »
    Get them to send you the HPI check

I had actually emailed for that already but they're closed at 6 so should have it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

emmetkenny wrote: »

Wouldn't deem it necessary, but maybe give AA a ring about the car and see if there was any additional notes, that weren't published on the dealers site.

• Advertisement

Just for a timeline - NCT'd this morning & passed with flying colours, all sorted at last and all discs up on the car.

Purchased Jan 14th from Cargiant.
    Insured/VRT Jan 24th, Tax'd 26th Jan and NCT'd Feb 1st.

All went very smooth, would definitely do it again in future.

12 Ford Focus Zetec S 1.6 TDCi

Just for a timeline - NCT'd this morning & passed with flying colours, all sorted at last and all discs up on the car.

Very nice.

Just where you said insured/vrt, how did you get it over before your insurance was sorted? I'm having trouble with 123.ie they wont give me temporary cover only permanent and want a huge premium.

rob316 wrote:
    Just where you said insured/vrt, how did you get it over before your insurance was sorted? I'm having trouble with 123.ie they wont give me temporary cover only permanent and want a huge premium.

Transferred mothers policy from her car to the English plates for 48 hours (Aviva) , then parked it up in shed back home until the date of vrt when I set my own new policy to start ! Went with liberty myself and they were grand sending out insurance disc with English reg on it, then re issued the disc once I had my irish number!

Transferred mothers policy from her car to the English plates for 48 hours (Aviva) , then parked it up in shed back home until the date of vrt when I set my own new policy to start ! Went with liberty myself and they were grand sending out insurance disc with English reg on it, then re issued the disc once I had my irish number!

Hold up you might be able to advise me here, my mother also is on Aviva.

So were you named driver on her policy already or did you just add yourself and get the insurance temporarily transferred then or what?

rob316 wrote: »
    Hold up you might be able to advise me here, my mother also is on Aviva.

So were you named driver on her policy already or did you just add yourself and get the insurance temporarily transferred then or what?

Named driver, she called them and said she'd be transferring her policy for the day, so it put her car off the road while I was in England, from once I bought the car to when I got it back to ireland.

Basically, notified them in advance that on the Saturday we'd be getting the car, & sent an email as soon as I had the car bought with the car details / registration as official notice of the temporary change.

they should be able to advise with a quick call if that's an option!

How much did it work out costing incl the VRT ?

Named driver, she called them and said she'd be transferring her policy for the day, so it put her car off the road while I was in England, from once I bought the car to when I got it back to ireland.

Basically, notified them in advance that on the Saturday we'd be getting the car, & sent an email as soon as I had the car bought with the car details / registration as official notice of the temporary change.

they should be able to advise with a quick call if that's an option!

This sounds like a plan, cheers fella. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

rob316 wrote: »
    Very nice.

For anyone insured with FBD...

FBD added my UK purchase to my policy for 24 hours for a fee of €20.00. So both cars were insured for the duration.

liam7831 wrote: »
    How much did it work out costing incl the VRT ?

£6499 for the car, €2026 VRT, flights €45, ferry €150, £45 diesel to drive from London to Galway! Had some change €10k

I think it's worth it, as same car (12 Zetec S - going for €12-13k) on Carzone..

May be controversial, but didn't do the HPI/Dekra check, took a chance with Cargiant, and was satisfied with condition of car, and it's full service history / maintenance reports. Was well documented in the glove box. But each to their own.

• Advertisement

I saw someone here mention they were going to buy a car without going over to the UK.

How would that work? Does the dealer put the car on the boat? What does he do with the keys?

Advertisement