Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A dealer will only drop the car to a ferry port at best for you in most cases so someone would have to collect it from there. You would be better off paying a transport company to collect it from the dealership altogether and transport it to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

bazz26 wrote: »
    A dealer will only drop the car to a ferry port at best for you in most cases so someone would have to collect it from there. You would be better off paying a transport company to collect it from the dealership altogether and transport it to your door.

Ah no I was just wondering how it would work.

I think I'll head over myself to have a look at the Passat but just realised my passport is out of date so may renew that first :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Ah no I was just wondering how it would work.

I think I'll head over myself to have a look at the Passat but just realised my passport is out of date so may renew that first :(

You can go over with your driving licence

Mc Love wrote: »
    You can go over with your driving licence

Really? I thought they stopped that recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

buying from a NI dealer, collecting next monday , the car is untaxed since oct 16.

what do i do. ill be driving straight down to the south. How does that work?

Can i be prosectued for no tax in the north with a ROI licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Really? I thought they stopped that recently?

Aer Lingus and ferry companies will accept a driving licence, Ryanir would require a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

irishgeo wrote: »
    buying from a NI dealer, collecting next monday , the car is untaxed since oct 16.

what do i do. ill be driving straight down to the south. How does that work?

Can i be prosectued for no tax in the north with a ROI licence.

It should have been declared off the road when sold to the dealer.

Depending on the dealer, they may ask you to tax it there online before driving away. Most wont, so head for the boarder - I drove from Bristol to Holyhead with no tax and it was fine.

Aer Lingus and ferry companies will accept a driving licence, Ryanir would require a passport.

Flights are €20 more expensive with Are Lingus so will probably just go with that.

The guys came back with the Service History and HPI check so all looks ok.

Full VW History with a stamped book and fully filled out and serviced as below.

8/14 @ 20290
    5/15 @ 40951
    2/16 @ 61380
    11/16 @ 83250

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What would you think of this?

Found a VW CC, late 2012 59k miles. £9400. Full GT spec.

So I spoke to the dealer, they specialize in VW, Audi, Porsche. Very forward with me on the phone, told me how much thread depth there was, where there was a scratch on the body. Really detailed information.

So the source of his cars are all from the VW Group, this specifically was owned by VW financial services. He scanned me over a copy of the V5C, it says VW own it. It has a FSH, just serviced 500 miles ago. They are an AA warranty dealer and said they welcome an inspection if you like. But I don't even know if that's necessary? I've looked on their FB page, Google reviews, all 5 star. They clearly don't touch ****.

Should I just jump in with the deposit and skip inspection, Ive stretched the budget as much as I can at this stage, £200 would go along way for me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It should have been declared off the road when sold to the dealer.

Depending on the dealer, they may ask you to tax it there online before driving away. Most wont, so head for the boarder - I drove from Bristol to Holyhead with no tax and it was fine.

the garage plates were on it when i took it for a test drive so i assuming its off the road?

its a dealer owned by ford so hopefully he just let me off without the tax.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

mad m wrote: »
    If you bought a Yaris Hybrid in uk , can the odo be changed to klm instead of mls?
    liam7831 wrote: »
    Just go into Settings

Where within Settings? UK Yaris Hybrid here too. I've the trip and mpg, etc, but in miles.

What the most recent licence plate number (last 5) that people got??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Question guys, I'm looking at getting a car within a few months. Been browsing Done Deal and seen a 2013 Vauxhall Astra, he's listed the mileage at 63k miles, it passed an MOT on the 4th October 2016. But there's no odometer reading on the MOT for it. Is this normal? I've been looking at quite a lot of cars and it's the first time I've seen that.

Had my appointment yesterday to register - Had everything but they don't have the exact car on their system so have to wait around 10 days for revenue to tell me the full cost! Very frustrating.

Anyone have any experience with this? - Does it take the full 10 days?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Had my appointment yesterday to register - Had everything but they don't have the exact car on their system so have to wait around 10 days for revenue to tell me the full cost! Very frustrating.

S.

Oh must be some kind of exotica ?

S.

If it's not on Revenue's database then they have to contact the car manufacturer with the car's VIN to get a detailed description of the car and it's spec. It's not uncommon for this to happen if it's a rare car or some sort of UK special edition that's not on their system previously.

Not exactly an exotic! - 525d Touring

S5f8fqw.jpg?1

^^
    VERY NICE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Not exactly an exotic! - 525d Touring

Why the hell is that not in the revenue database?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

S.

I had this issue recently with a 330d,apppointment on a Saturday, was told exact model not on system so new stat code needed and they would contact me by the following Wednesday, no call so rang on Friday morning and it was on their system, the staff in that vrt office really came across as uninterested

• Advertisement

Good to know! Think it's because the older 525d were 3L and the new ones are twin scroll turbo 2L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

fm wrote: »
    I had this issue recently with a 330d,apppointment on a Saturday, was told exact model not on system so new stat code needed and they would contact me by the following Wednesday, no call so rang on Friday morning and it was on their system, the staff in that vrt office really came across as uninterested

Was it Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Was it Kilkenny?

No blarney, cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1 goldlob

Hi I would like to import a car from NI but was wondering how can I drive the car to Dublin without the insurance? is not risky? did you buy a short term cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

goldlob wrote:
    Hi I would like to import a car from NI but was wondering how can I drive the car to Dublin without the insurance? is not risky? did you buy a short term cover?

Most companies will give you temporary insurance on English plates. Ring your insurer and check

goldlob wrote: »

You don't drive it anywhere without insurance. You either arrange cover prior to collecting it or look into getting someone else (who is not your spouse) that has a policy that allows them to drive other cars that they don't own. Alternatively pay a transport company to collect it from the garage in NI and deliver it to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hi guys,

I imported my car & VRT'd it early Jan.

UK seller is messaging me worried about car still being in his name and he hasn't received any notification or refund of Road Tax.

From what I understand, once a car has been successfully VRT'd, a notification of Permanent Export goes out to the DVLA to inform them the car bearing that UK reg is out of the country.

I just did a total car check on the UK reg and it is showing " Exported = NO "

Any thoughts?

ION08 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I imported my car & VRT'd it early Jan.

UK seller is messaging me worried about car still being in his name and he hasn't received any notification or refund of Road Tax.

From what I understand, once a car has been successfully VRT'd, a notification of Permanent Export goes out to the DVLA to inform them the car bearing that UK reg is out of the country.

I just did a total car check on the UK reg and it is showing " Exported = NO "

Any thoughts?

Ring the DVLA maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

rob316 wrote: »
    Ring the DVLA maybe?
    Yeah, I told him that alright. Just thought Id check here incase I overlooked something.

• Advertisement

Just heads up to anyone probably been mentioned before but if you are getting an inspection book with Dekra not AA as dekra still do the inspection only the AA is more expensive.

For a VW CC

Dekra £178
    AA £205

Your basically paying a handling charge for the AA.

Advertisement