Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ION08 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I imported my car & VRT'd it early Jan.

UK seller is messaging me worried about car still being in his name and he hasn't received any notification or refund of Road Tax.

From what I understand, once a car has been successfully VRT'd, a notification of Permanent Export goes out to the DVLA to inform them the car bearing that UK reg is out of the country.

I just did a total car check on the UK reg and it is showing " Exported = NO "

Any thoughts?
    It's his obligation to write to DVLA informing them that he has sold the car to a person who lives abroad. I doubt that there is a reconciliation between the licensing authorities in the two countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

Hi - clueless car buyer here just wanted to ask a question.

Ive found a car i like up north, just wondering about price. When i rang he said the price was the price, no moving on it. Is this normal for NI sales, priced to sell? Its probably a stupid question without context of car and spec etc, but in general would it be a thing they dont usually budge on price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

There is no set practice or rule for this. Some dealers will price a car high and allow haggling, other will price low and not allow much off. If you turned up in person he might be more receptive to a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I have found a car I like up north. I am chatting to them about price to get it down a little bit which is going ok. It is a Ford car in a main Ford dealer in Belfast. Do most people get a mechanic to check it out even if with main dealer? Also I am told its a full Ford dealer service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Hi,

I've been looking at this thread and have one question. I'm looking at getting a small Nissan for my mother, we've seen a good one with low mileage and a higher spec than cars here. I'll be contacting the dealer, getting it checked and going over to collect the car. The thing is it's not for me, so will there be any problem with me either buying it in her name and driving it back, giving it to her to sort out the vrt etc? Or should I get it in my name, sort the vrt and then transferring it to her?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Marcos wrote:
    I've been looking at this thread and have one question. I'm looking at getting a small Nissan for my mother, we've seen a good one with low mileage and a higher spec than cars here. I'll be contacting the dealer, getting it checked and going over to collect the car. The thing is it's not for me, so will there be any problem with me either buying it in her name and driving it back, giving it to her to sort out the vrt etc? Or should I get it in my name, sort the vrt and then transferring it to her?

No it's ok, when it comes to vrting it, you just put her details on the forms, despite that yours are on the receipt. Might need to bring her to the vrt appointment to be safe though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

chris85 wrote: »
    I have found a car I like up north. I am chatting to them about price to get it down a little bit which is going ok. It is a Ford car in a main Ford dealer in Belfast. Do most people get a mechanic to check it out even if with main dealer? Also I am told its a full Ford dealer service history.

I brought one in from Belfast last year, full RAC check over, it covers your piece of mind and will be an assist when selling on in the future, £199

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

mel123 wrote: »
    Hi - clueless car buyer here just wanted to ask a question.

Ive found a car i like up north, just wondering about price. When i rang he said the price was the price, no moving on it. Is this normal for NI sales, priced to sell? Its probably a stupid question without context of car and spec etc, but in general would it be a thing they dont usually budge on price?

They just don't seem to haggle, price is the price especially over the phone. I went up North and haggled 300 quid off in person (main dealer) but he wouldn't budge anymore even when I was walking out the door. He was meant to ring me as I was up there for day but didn't. I got an email that Monday asking was I still interested in car, but seen a better spec'd one elsewhere but slightly higher price. The search continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

confused here

do i need to fill in VRTVPD1 or VRTTVPD2 if i am registering the car myself? Can i type it out and print it rather than write it with pen?

What proof of pps number is acceptable>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

irishgeo wrote: »
    confused here

do i need to fill in VRTVPD1 or VRTTVPD2 if i am registering the car myself? Can i type it out and print it rather than write it with pen?

All of above is covered in the confirmation email you receive for VRT booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

confused here

No, VRTVPD1 is for dealers

As a private individual all you need to fill out is the VRTVPD2 and the declaration

As for printing it out, why would you want to type it out???... it needs to be signed anyway so you may aswell fill it all out by hand, its not exactly difficult?

For PPS I used and old PPS card I had

Would anyone think it was mad to fork out 125 quid to get a 2 year old car checked from main dealer in north.

mad m wrote: »
    Would anyone think it was mad to fork out 125 quid to get a 2 year old car checked from main dealer in north.
    It would not be mad in fairness. Big purchase so think of it as an investment. It may not pick up anything but if it does then money very well spent and may save you a lot down the line.

It would not be mad in fairness. Big purchase so think of it as an investment. It may not pick up anything but if it does then money very well spent and may save you a lot down the line.

I was looking at Dekra for car inspection. It says on their FAQ, they don't inspect Hybrids.

Have agreed a price on car up in Belfast with a main dealer part of a large network. Have paid a deposit pending a test drive of the car. Heading up tomorrow afternoon to test drive the car. its 5 years old with low mileage and full main dealer service history so need to decide if need to get an inspection. I probably will for peace of mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I paid £199 for my 2year 9month old purchase last year, even though I had the FSH and spoke to the garage where it was sold/last serviced.
    Anything could happen since the last service and there are some mighty skilled panel beaters out there.
    As it turned out the car was 100% so some might think it was a waste of money but I don't, I was putting a lot more than £199 into the purchase price and when I go to sell it down the line I have a great independent RAC report on the car for next owner's benefit which I believe is an additional selling benefit.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Put my deposit on the Passat yesterday so just have to organise heading over now. Lucky enough the dealer will accept a card payment for the remainder of the price.

Interview tonight for a new job which could lead to a decent pay rise... Dealer has a CC for a £500 more. Could be tempted to buy that instead of the regular Passat if it goes well tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Put my deposit on the Passat yesterday so just have to organise heading over now. Lucky enough the dealer will accept a card payment for the remainder of the price.

Interview tonight for a new job which could lead to a decent pay rise... Dealer has a CC for a £500 more. Could be tempted to buy that instead of the regular Passat if it goes well tonight :D

Get the CC! I'm collecting one Saturday. :D

Watch out paying by card, most dealers will charge 2.5% service charge, depending on your purchase that could be a lot, not to mention the exchange rate wont be as good as something like transfermate.

Good luck with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob316 wrote: »
    Get the CC! I'm collecting one Saturday. :D

Watch out paying by card, most dealers will charge 2.5% service charge, depending on your purchase that could be a lot, not to mention the exchange rate wont be as good as something like transfermate.

Good luck with the interview.

I don't really want to travel over twice though. At least with card I can pay there and then and go with it :pac:

I'm impatient!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Lads, what do you do if the car you're looking at isn't on the VRT calculator? Do you email them ahead of time, or do you have to wing it and hope for the best when you get home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Soarer wrote: »
    Lads, what do you do if the car you're looking at isn't on the VRT calculator? Do you email them ahead of time, or do you have to wing it and hope for the best when you get home?

As far as I know when you do the VRT appointment, the NCT crowd will take the VIN number and revenue will contact the manufacturer for exact model and spec details and you will hear from them then in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

They need to inspect the car first before they can give you a VRT figure so prepare to be bent over by the taxman!

what car is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They will not give you a figure ahead of time. On presentation of the car for it's VRT inspection where the VIN is not on their database, they will contact Revenue for a figure. Revenue will then contact the car manufacturer to get details from the car's VIN. This process can take upto 2 weeks. Revenue then come back with a VRT figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

ION08 wrote: »
    They need to inspect the car first before they can give you a VRT figure so prepare to be bent over by the taxman!

what car is it??

A BMW ActiveHybrid 5.

Basically a 535i with a hybrid motor.

What I was doing to give myself a rough estimate is get a quote for a normal 535i, change the co2 to the hybrid figure, and then reduce that total by the hybrid allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

slave1 wrote: »
    I brought one in from Belfast last year, full RAC check over, it covers your piece of mind and will be an assist when selling on in the future, £199

Ive rang RAC and DEKRA and neither do pre purchase inspections up in Northern Ireland, can anyone recommend someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

mel123 wrote: »
    Ive rang RAC and DEKRA and neither do pre purchase inspections up in Northern Ireland, can anyone recommend someone?

http://www.motorvehicle-assessors.co.uk/services/vehicle-purchase-inspections

might be worth a look.

I've rang him and he has to get back to me,

Has anyone ever used www.clickmechanic.com ?

They have half price sale on at moment but when I put in car details they can't find it so when I manually put it in the Yaris hybrid I'm looking at is a 2015 but on their website it only goes to year 2013 when selecting year.

Have agreed a price on car up in Belfast with a main dealer part of a large network. Have paid a deposit pending a test drive of the car. Heading up tomorrow afternoon to test drive the car. its 5 years old with low mileage and full main dealer service history so need to decide if need to get an inspection. I probably will for peace of mind.

Did you get sorted with a pre inspection?

Did you get sorted with a pre inspection?
    I went up and the car is good. It's a main Ford dealer up there so they had no problem with me getting it inspected but they said it got a full service two weeks ago and had the report from that for me also so we didn't feel it necessary as its a main dealer with great reviews and comes with a warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

anyone bought a car from sere car supermarket up north? just looking for feedback on how are they to deal with?

Advertisement