Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Normally you would put a deposit on the car first pending an inspection otherwise the car could be sold when the car inspector arrives to examine it. You would obviously agree with the dealer to buy the car in full if it passes the inspection or get your deposit back if it fails. If the car is genuine and the dealer has nothing to hide then I don't see what issue they would have with that arrangement. Paying for a car up front before an inspection would make it harder to get the dealer to rectify small things that the car inspector may highlight before recommending to follow through with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

Do you know if a category D insurance loss car will affect the VRT rate? On the VRT calculator there is no option to specify this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hoolies wrote: »
    Do you know if a category D insurance loss car will affect the VRT rate? On the VRT calculator there is no option to specify this

A woman at work bought a category D car. You need an engineer report on it when registering with the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Walk away from any dealer who won't allow an inspection. As said, you need to give them a refundable deposit to hold the car but this should be £250ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sm3ar wrote: »
    Reading what you said about the Dekra, am I right in thinking that garages won't allow inspection prior to full price arriving at dealer?

No you put down a deposit pending an inspection, ignore the way I did it, I had paid the full thing before the inspection but that was down to the source of the car ( came direct from VW so had been approved by them, the dealer gave me their own 102 point inspection report also) and how comfortable the dealer made me feel. Plus I was impatient and didn't want to wait another weekend to collect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They wouldnt allow me to do an inspection before unless I paid a deposit to hold the car.

Mc Love wrote: »
    They wouldnt allow me to do an inspection before unless I paid a deposit to hold the car.

Yes that is correct, and to be honest it would make little sense paying for an inspection without a deposit as the car is still on the market and could be sold to another interested buyer before or after the inspection.

You get in writing (email) that your deposit is fully refundable should the inspection throw up some serious issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

rob316 wrote: »
    Yes that is correct, and to be honest it would make little sense paying for an inspection without a deposit as the car is still on the market and could be sold to another interested buyer before or after the inspection.

You get in writing (email) that your deposit is fully refundable should the inspection throw up some serious issues.

I wouldn't use the term "serious issues", it's ambiguous, just word the email "subject to inspection", that's the way I worded my inspection to cover my ass

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Some advice folks. Picking up the car tomorrow but I will be registering the car in the wife's name here (she drives it more and insurance in her name). Do I need to put her name on the V5c document. Some feedback on how this part works would be good.

• Advertisement

Why are you putting a name on the V5 form?

chris85 wrote: »
    Some advice folks. Picking up the car tomorrow but I will be registering the car in the wife's name here (she drives it more and insurance in her name). Do I need to put her name on the V5c document. Some feedback on how this part works would be good.

You don't do anything to the V5C, dealer hands you the complete V5C minus the export slip that they send to the DVLA.

When you are registering here just put the car in your wife's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

The very first guy who posted this thread mentions about having a letter for tax as the garage will otherwise make you pay at their premises. Is this really the case?! Why would the garage care?

Also the Dekra inspection. Anyone know how long they take?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sm3ar wrote: »
    The very first guy who posted this thread mentions about having a letter for tax as the garage will otherwise make you pay at their premises. Is this really the case?! Why would the garage care?

Also the Dekra inspection. Anyone know how long they take?

I *think* they are legally required to do so.

Not your ornery onager

The garage cares because in the UK dealers are not supposed to leave a car they sell leave without it being taxed. Getting the buyer to sign a statement means the onus is put on the buyer. Not sure how much water that statement holds though and I'd imagine they only do it with cars being driven to a ferry port to be permanently exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

chris85 wrote: »

You don't do anything to the V5C, dealer hands you the complete V5C minus the export slip that they send to the DVLA.

Ok do I need to book in for the VRT appointment in wife's name also. Was hoping i could just do all of it myself and just put it in her name but unsure if need to book it in for VRT in wifes name or mine if I am presenting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I just did it last Thursday and all I got was a little slip from the V5C document, a section 2.

This was in a main BMW UK dealership and the chap I dealt with said he sells to Ireland all the time. And he said that the whole transfer of ownership process has recently changed as the DVLA has enabled online processing.

He made me fill out a form with all my details and did the transfer of ownership with the DVLA online. He also made me tax the car online there and then. He said I will receive a new V5C from the DVLA within a week or so. And on that one he explained is a section where I declare my permanent export. I send that back to Swansea he said which will also take care of my tax refund.

I just did it last Thursday and all I got was a little slip from the V5C document, a section 2.

This was in a main BMW UK dealership and the chap I dealt with said he sells to Ireland all the time. And he said that the whole transfer of ownership process has recently changed as the DVLA has enabled online processing.

He made me fill out a form with all my details and did the transfer of ownership with the DVLA online. He also made me tax the car online there and then. He said I will receive a new V5C from the DVLA within a week or so. And on that one he explained is a section where I declare my permanent export. I send that back to Swansea he said which will also take care of my tax refund.

doesn't sound right the revenue will want the full v5c when you are registering for vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Section 2 is on the front page and lists the previous keepers details. I can't believe that any dealer would have cut this and given it to you. The dealer has screwed you/dealt you a disservice. He should have handed you every section of the v5c in his possession and sent a letter to Swansea stating that he's sold it to a person who lives abroad. He should not fill out perm export section as he has no clue what happens with the car when it leaves the lot.

DVLA will not issue a very to you as you live abroad. You will now have to seek a very of export from Swansea.

I'm confused now. The little slip I have has a green heading which reads .

"10. New keeper's details - To be kept by the new keeper. Do not return to DVLA .... V5C/2"

Anyway I get what you guys are saying. That is maybe for a normal UK 2 UK sale?

Just had look at the DVLA FAQs and in either case it should be just a a little extra hassle. They have a V756 which is being used when declaring permanent export and already out of the country. It also allows for transfer of ownership during said export where the new owner never had a V5C. So that would be me I guess.

I'll give the DVLA a call on Monday, see what they say. I'm sure it'll work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Hey folks,
    Put a deposit down for 2016 scirocco R Line from a Volkswagen dealer near Manchester.
    Can anyone rectify if currencyfair is similar to transfer mate for getting the best pound from my euro?
    From reading the past posts the dealer just gives me the v5c form filled out and that's all in need to bring with me back to Dublin?
    Thanks again for all the help as would've been too daunting for me If I'd have gone over without reading this thread.

I've attached a picture of what part of the v5c the dealer keeps. that's it the rest is for you to give to the revenue when your paying vrt.

AH92 wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Put a deposit down for 2016 scirocco R Line from a Volkswagen dealer near Manchester.
    Can anyone rectify if currencyfair is similar to transfer mate for getting the best pound from my euro?
    From reading the past posts the dealer just gives me the v5c form filled out and that's all in need to bring with me back to Dublin?
    Thanks again for all the help as would've been too daunting for me If I'd have gone over without reading this thread.

Of course you'd also want an invoice and a receipt to prove you actually purchased the car. Just for yourself even. And keep the ferry ticket for prove of date of entry into the country.

No idea about currency fair but transfer mate worked really well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

I'm looking at a couple of cars from a dealer where he claims all their cars are AA 128 point tested. Before I contact them does anyone know if they'd be obliged to show me the full report or just enough to say it had been done.
    Also, would the test be as thorough as it would be if I got someone in to inspect it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

on the declaration for registration of a new or used vehicle form. a few questions have me confused

question 10 has me confused

what do i put in eu type-approval directive? mines is a m1 vehicle

in section b
    question
    2. country where consigned ?

thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

irishgeo wrote: »
    on the declaration for registration of a new or used vehicle form. a few questions have me confused

question 10 has me confused

what do i put in eu type-approval directive? mines is a m1 vehicle

in section b
    question
    2. country where consigned ?

thanks for the help.

I didn't answer that question and it wasn't a problem on the day. Don't know if the inspector filled it in or not.

Does anyone know if there is a Dekra equivalent in Ireland?

I think motorcheck.ie offer an inspection service here.

Any idea how much roughly? They mention it on the site.... no price quoted though?

• Advertisement

No idea.

Advertisement