Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Whats better?
    TransferWise or TransferMate?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Whats better?
    TransferWise or TransferMate?

Thanks!

I used currency fair and had no hassle whatsoever dealer received the money.
    Do I need to bring the v5c form with me? Or will a dealer have them and just give me it to fill? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the V5C is the equivalent of our taxbook or VLC .You must bring it with you from the dealer otherwise you'll get a world of pain re-registering. DO not let him send it of to the DVLA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

How about making a sticky FAQ with all the questions. Reading back over the thread it seems like the same questions are being asked over and over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mine went OK. Thanks for the help everyone. Exact figure as per the calculator. Didn't ask for the NCT registration form for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

irishgeo wrote: »
    Mine went OK.  Thanks for the help everyone. Exact figure as per the calculator. Didn't ask for the NCT registration form for some reason.
    What NCT registration? Nothing about that mentioned on list of documents required for VRT inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

irishgeo wrote: »
    Mine went OK. Thanks for the help everyone. Exact figure as per the calculator. Didn't ask for the NCT registration form for some reason.

Ya that was handed back to me too, she said it was the old method not needed anymore.

Need some help lads. Have the money sent over for a car in the uk and everything nearly finalised as I'm flying over on Saturday.
    The dealer is now asking for a cover note proof of insurance on the new car but my insurance will only send me an email confirming temporary insurance which I don't see as a problem as I will be insured and the dealer won't accept it despite me forwarding them the email and telling him I can't get a cover note from the insurance.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Never heard of people experiencing that one before when buying from a UK dealer unless UK regulations have changed recently. Maybe ask your insurance company to fax you a cover note to that effect. If it's just something that particular dealer is insisting on then I'd tell them that's all you have and keep the car if it's not acceptable.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Never heard of people experiencing that one before when buying from a UK dealer unless UK regulations have changed recently. Maybe ask your insurance company to fax you a cover note to that effect. If it's just something that particular dealer is insisting on then I'd tell them that's all you have and keep the car if it's not acceptable.

I just sent him an email back saying that's all they can give and I cannot do much more as I have proof of insurance from the email. Waiting to see what he says now.

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    What NCT registration? Nothing about that mentioned on list of documents required for VRT inspection.

The first item on the checklist you get on the email

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

On the VRT form - not vrtvpd2, the other one - under vehicle particulars there is bullet 10. EU Type-Approval Directives. Then there's a box for M1 and one for non M1.
    What are you supposed to put in there?

On the VRT form - not vrtvpd2, the other one - under vehicle particulars there is bullet 10. EU Type-Approval Directives. Then there's a box for M1 and one for non M1.
    What are you supposed to put in there?

i didnt get asked for that form despite me having it filled in. i didnt answer question 10 either.

AH92 wrote: »
    Never heard of people experiencing that one before when buying from a UK dealer unless UK regulations have changed recently.  Maybe ask your insurance company to fax you a cover note to that effect.  If it's just something that particular dealer is insisting on then I'd tell them that's all you have and keep the car if it's not acceptable.

I just sent him an email back saying that's all they can give and I cannot do much more as I have proof of insurance from the email. Waiting to see what he says now.
    Start talking about pulling out of the deal if hes not playing ball, he'll soon change his tune, I've never had any issue with insurance, I always have something in case I meet the Police but have never had to show a dealer.

AH92 wrote: »
    Never heard of people experiencing that one before when buying from a UK dealer unless UK regulations have changed recently.  Maybe ask your insurance company to fax you a cover note to that effect.  If it's just something that particular dealer is insisting on then I'd tell them that's all you have and keep the car if it's not acceptable.

Start talking about pulling out of the deal if hes not playing ball, he'll soon change his tune, I've never had any issue with insurance, I always have something in case I meet the Police but have never had to show a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

RE: insurance. Dealer I dealt with got me to sign a declaration that I've insured car and garage was not responsible.

Cheers for all the replies lads.
    Dealer emailed me back saying it's not a problem at last.
    Only last piece of the checklist is to make sure I bring the v5c form with me that the dealer fills for me tomorrow and make sure he doesn't send it all to Swansea?
    Going over tomorrow to collect so will post some pics up when I'm back on Sunday, Really appreciate all the help.

You make sure he gives you the entire V5c form, you need to produce this at the VRT inspection. If the dealer sends it off to the DVLA then you have all sorts of hoops to go through with the DVLA to sort it out.

I didn't get the V5C, dealer wouldn't give it to me. He was convinced he knew the process and he was going to transfer the ownership online and send the V5C to Swansea. He only gave me a little slip from the V5C.
    I've been onto to the DVLA and they told me they don't issue V5Cs to non residents and that I must request a certificate of permanent export instead. They have a form for that even. Not that big a deal. I had to write to them over the tax refund anyway.
    But the cert is not here yet and my VRT appointment is on Monday. Let's see what the VRT crowd says to that. I imagine not that much. Will have to come back with the cert I reckon. All they want is your money, they're not going to make it too complicated to hand over your dosh..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I didn't get the V5C, dealer wouldn't give it to me. He was convinced he knew the process and he was going to transfer the ownership online and send the V5C to Swansea. He only gave me a little slip from the V5C.
    I've been onto to the DVLA and they told me they don't issue V5Cs to non residents and that I must request a certificate of permanent export instead. They have a form for that even. Not that big a deal. I had to write to them over the tax refund anyway.
    But the cert is not here yet and my VRT appointment is on Monday. Let's see what the VRT crowd says to that. I imagine not that much. Will have to come back with the cert I reckon. All they want is your money, they're not going to make it too complicated to hand over your dosh..

That's the big deal!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

VRT will have no problem waiting for the cert to arrive. Problem is they will charge you a penalty for every day you are late.

Esel wrote: »
    That's the big deal!

I imagine I'm not the first one not having all their papers in order. What was I going to do anyway? Fly home 'cos he wouldn't give me the V5C?
    I got 30 days in total. Be grand.
    Harcrid wrote: »
    VRT will have no problem waiting for the cert to arrive. Problem is they will charge you a penalty for every day you are late.

The car is still a long way away from being 30 days in the country. Should be fine.

The certificate of permanent export has been known to take up to 6 weeks to arrive from the DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I imagine I'm not the first one not having all their papers in order. What was I going to do anyway? Fly home 'cos he wouldn't give me the V5C?
    I got 30 days in total. Be grand.

The car is still a long way away from being 30 days in the country. Should be fine.

You should really have ensured in advance that the dealer knew the correct procedure regarding the V5C in the case of permanent export. This has been flagged in this thread and others many times.

Hope it all works out OK for you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Thats why i always buy private. Just so much less hassle than having to deal with "know it all" dealers :rolleyes:

Always bought private, and sellers never had an issue with me keeping the V5

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ION08 wrote: »
    Thats why i always buy private. Just so much less hassle than having to deal with "know it all" dealers :rolleyes:

Always bought private, and sellers never had an issue with me keeping the V5

with the level of cars been exported to southern Ireland there is really no excuse for any dealer not been well versed on the paperwork.

I spoke to this sales guy after hoping he'd still have the V5C to post it to me. This is at a main BMW dealership btw.
    He repeated himself saying he knows what he's doing. He sells to Irish buyers all the time and the way he does it they have their export cert in the post in Ireland within a week. He said he even rang the Dublin guy who he sold 5 cars to in the last 6 months to confirm whether there ever was a problem and there wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

He's an idiot I'm afraid.
    the best advice (for others) is to print out the section on the DVLA website (if it's still there) and show the Dealer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He's bull****ting you to cover his tracks, probably told you at the beginning of your phone calls with you that's he sold loads to Irish lads to warm you up.
    My instructions are clear, no V5C means no sale, I just walk if they say otherwise

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Think about getting a Nissan leaf teckna Circe 2014-2015 , 11000-13500 any idea on vrt duty to be paid read 0€ in revenue site,anyone any idea where to start looking middle westcost of England preferred, cheers

Advertisement