Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

EV's have a €5k VRT exemption so unless you're bringing in a Tesla there should be no VRT payable

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Thanks to the OP and others for the info.
    Just back from the uk with a Lexus hybrid.
    Vrt centres seem to be busy, will call them in the morning.

I had planned to pay the deposit part by card, but cargiant only take uk debit cards. Fortunately the transfermate folks were able to sort me out with the additional transfer (thanks Conor). Was worried it wouldn't get done that day otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Seanosullivan2

Has anyone every had the car delivered to their door using a delivery company? I'm currently exploring that option and it seems to be much cheaper than getting flight, Ferry etc and much less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,290 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Has anyone every had the car delivered to their door using a delivery company? I'm currently exploring that option and it seems to be much cheaper than getting flight, Ferry etc and much less hassle.

What kind of prices are you getting for delivery?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Seanosullivan2

Esel wrote: »
    What kind of prices are you getting for delivery?

Looking at around 400 to my door from northhampton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Looking at around 400 to my door from northhampton.

Who is offering this service - got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Might be a silly question, but looking at importing a 161/162 equivalent car. So obviously MOT is not going to be there as its less than 3 yrs old. Is there anything else I should be checking instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Might be a silly question, but looking at importing a 161/162 equivalent car. So obviously MOT is not going to be there as its less than 3 yrs old. Is there anything else I should be checking instead?

buy a report on the car. Anything that new you might have to pay VAT?

I thought that it was only if being imported into the EU does VAT need to be paid?!

Ok I checked it out
    If you are importing a new car from another EU country you have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), usually when registering the car. A new car means a car that has been in service for 6 months or less, or has been driven for 6,000 kilometres or less. The VAT is payable even where you have paid VAT in the other country.
    So Im safe, car is July '16 and has 6k miles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I thought that it was only if being imported into the EU does VAT need to be paid?!

from revenue.ie
    When is VAT chargeable and payable?
    For VAT purposes a new means of transport is a goods or passenger vehicle that meets either one of the following two criteria:

It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) supplied six months or less after the date of its first entry into service.
    It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) that has travelled 6,000 kilometres or less at the time the vehicle is first presented for registration.
    If the vehicle meets either of these criteria the vehicle is treated as a new means of transport for VAT purposes and VAT is chargeable at registration.

Note: In this context "entry into service" means registration in another jurisdiction. If not previously registered, the vehicle is new.

Example

Vehicle 5 months old with 8,000km - chargeable to VAT

Vehicle 7 months old with 5,000km - chargeable to VAT

Vehicle 7 months old with 8,000km - not chargeable to VAT

Note: The date of the vehicle's first entry into service (registration date) determines the age of the vehicle for VAT purposes. The mileage is the odometer mileage when first presented for registration in the State.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure to do a HPI check on the car for outstanding finance. A newish car possibly might still have financing owning on it.

All in process, picking the car up in 10 days :)
    OP or anyone, any particular reason why use transfermate or 3rd party IF you can use Visa Debit etc / credit card on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

All in process, picking the car up in 10 days :)
    OP or anyone, any particular reason why use transfermate or 3rd party IF you can use Visa Debit etc / credit card on the day?

I couldnt see any reason to use them if you can use your debit card. Just checked Visa's currency converter and it would cost 25 euro more on £15000 than transfermate but its instant and you wouldnt have to worry about transferring money and delays. i havent included fees in that obviously but for the sake of 50 quid id rather use a debit card

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

Quote;

"If you are importing a new car from another EU country you have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), usually when registering the car. A new car means a car that has been in service for 6 months or less, or has been driven for 6,000 kilometres or less. The VAT is payable even where you have paid VAT in the other country."

you only have to pay vat by law once in a European country so if you end up paying the vat here when you bring it in 23%, you can reclaim the vat from the uk 20%.

when the UK leave the eu, when we will be importing a car from the uk vat will have to be paid of 10% on all imports making it too expensive, unless they come to some agreement between them

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I couldnt see any reason to use them if you can use your debit card. Just checked Visa's currency converter and it would cost 25 euro more on £15000 than transfermate but its instant and you wouldnt have to worry about transferring money and delays. i havent included fees in that obviously but for the sake of 50 quid id rather use a debit card

with aib you can only transfer 2500 with your debit card.

boi is 50000 afaik

thadg wrote: »
    with aib you can only transfer 2500 with your debit card.

boi is 50000 afaik

sorry yeah i forgot to mention that... :o When i called BOI they said as long as you have the funds it will go through. but i guess it depends on your bank

Yeah I confirmed last week that BOI agreed, no limit as long as there is funds.
    However to let them know 24hrs before hand that there is going to be a large transaction on the card.

However to let them know 24hrs before hand that there is going to be a large transaction on the card.

sounds about right... she said to me on the phone it might decline the first time, but the second time a number to call will come up on the terminal for the dealer to ring and get the authorisation code... sounds a bit strange but hey if it means saving a few hundred over buying and carrying sterling its worth the few minutes it might take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Have VRT'ed the car but what I'm not certain of now is where do I get the log book from and how do I tax it?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

Sorry this has no doubt being asked 1001 times but I'm in way to view car and can't search back

Whats the best way to pay for car in NI? Where's the best place to exchange? I dunno if I was doing it right but BOI Calculator looked better than An Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I used to have a handy FEDEX card that you could load with funds and draw from an ATM. Wouldn't let me draw it all it in the UK so I called into a random bank and they advised me to make multiple withdrawals on their machine which I did about ten times.....:-) got some funny looks, people thought I'd hit the jackpot.

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Have VRT'ed the car but what I'm not certain of now is where do I get the log book from and how do I tax it?

you get the log book once you tax it. You tax it with the last 6 digits of the VIN number listed on the sheet of paper they gave you. Did they not explain that? your man highlighted if for me and said it can take 24 hours to load onto the system but then you can tax it online.

culsoh wrote: »
    Sorry this has no doubt being asked 1001 times but I'm in way to view car and can't search back

Whats the best way to pay for car in NI? Where's the best place to exchange? I dunno if I was doing it right but BOI Calculator looked better than An Post

1. Debit/credit card (only BOI have limits above 2500 a day though i think)

2. Cash (although dealers may not want large amounts of cash) AIB have the best rate on sterling i think

3. Bank draft

4. Transfermate/currency fair etc. but this can take a few days between setup and time taken to transfer

probably other options aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

ARGINITE wrote: »

You can tax it online 24 hours or so after you VRT it. Use the last six digits of the vin as the PIN number. Once you tax it for the first time you will get sent the log book (VLC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Thanks guys sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

Bought car in NI - getting it hopefully Friday (March 31st). I understand I have to complete VRT within 30 days. Seller has no problem dating the invoice to suit me (e.g. April 5th) which will give me longer to complete VRT, but is it realistically going to matter. Would the amount payable come down slightly with the extra month

It could easily go up too, won't know until you present it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not related to an import but I got a VW CC 2.0TDI in last month and I've put up 4000km on it since I got it and as its my first diesel I'm curious about the DPF. I haven't noticed anything happen while driving to suggest a regen has happened or would I even notice?

For the most part it is seamless to the driver but you might hear what sounds like the fan run at idle or when the engine is switched off if it's finishing it's regeneration but if your doing a fair bit of driving especially at a constant 60/70 mph then chances are it will be well finished by the time you switch the engine off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bazz26 wrote: »
    For the most part it is seamless to the driver but you might hear what sounds like the fan run at idle or when the engine is switched off if it's finishing it's regeneration but if your doing a fair bit of driving especially at a constant 60/70 mph then chances are it will be well finished by the time you switch the engine off.

thanks. ya I've heard the fan twice go off after the engine was switched off but those were after city runs. I'm doing cork to Dublin a few times a month anyway so it should be fine.

Advertisement