Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,581 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have my VRT test on Friday and Ill update with how much it was. I see now there is a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) -seriously??? - Anyway is this an additional form I need to pricess first and have ready for the test or something that the VRT centre do?

Is the car something out of the ordinary? If it's originally a passenger car from UK, has not been modified and the emissions data is on the V5 I can't see there being any need for Certificate of Conformity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Is the car something out of the ordinary? If it's originally a passenger car from UK, has not been modified and the emissions data is on the V5 I can't see there being any need for Certificate of Conformity.
    Thats what i was thinking amd how inread it...its only in the case of it "not conforming" to the manufacture spec ud need to fill it out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Certificate of Conformity only applies to cars never registered anywhere before, ie brand new cars or possibly something that wasn't ever sold in the EU. It's a document signed off by the manufacturer and contains information on the car like VIN, Co2 figure, engine capacity, colour, etc. Since you are buying a used car from the UK, this information will be already listed on the car's UK V5 registration so they will not look for a certificate of conformity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conamara boy

When buying a car in Ireland which was imported and registered here, can I check to see how many owners etc it had in the UK?>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

When buying a car in Ireland which was imported and registered here, can I check to see how many owners etc it had in the UK?>

Motorcheck/cartell or the likes will tell you if you pay for their reports. This crowd will tell you how many owners it has had in the uk, but you need the uk reg. https://cazana.com/uk (Bear in mind the car could have an owner or 2 in Ireland since) If it's a Ford car and you don't have the uk reg, I can find it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hi guys,

Quick one: my dad bought a car in the UK last week and has a VRT appointment scheduled next week.

Is it possible to declare this car off the road straight after paying the VRT to avoid paying motortax for May?

This is a legitimate question as he still has his current car and doesn't want to start driving the new one until next month.

I believe there is a rf150 form that can be filled out but just wanted to check if anyone here has first hand experience :)

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

What date did the car enter the state? you have 30 days to complete the registration of the car from the date it has entered the state. If it came in on the 5th or after, you could take it to the inspection as normal, but don't pay the VRT until 1st may. This should be ok, as it's what I'm doing. Just bear in the mind the VRT amount estimate can go up and down in that period of time, could end up that the vrt went up and cost more than what a month tax would have been.

What date did the car enter the state? you have 30 days to complete the registration of the car from the date it has entered the state. If it came in on the 5th or after, you could take it to the inspection as normal, but don't pay the VRT until 1st may. This should be ok, as it's what I'm doing. Just bear in the mind the VRT amount estimate can go up and down in that period of time, could end up that the vrt went up and cost more than what a month tax would have been.

car only came into the state on the last week on 4th of May, getting VRT'd next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

ION08 wrote: »
    car only came into the state on the last week on 4th of May, getting VRT'd next week.

Why not hold off the VRT inspection until after June 1st? Then you'll only have to start paying tax from June.

culsoh wrote: »
    Why not hold off the VRT inspection until after June 1st? Then you'll only have to start paying tax from June.

Hadn't thought of that, I thought they would want to backdate from the month of entry into the country not the month of when car is VRT'd

That being said, "part b" of the RF150 form does have a section specifically for "Declaration of Non-Use immediately following registration of a new/imported vehicle"

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF150_en.pdf

• Advertisement

FYI, for anyone else wondering: An "Off the Road Declaration" can simply be submitted online, even after just VRT'ing your car.

https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login

Easy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 English_Chris

Hi Guys,

This is my first post although I've done a lot of reading! I have searched for an answer on this but not been able to find anything definite - sorry if I've missed it though!

My question has to do with when you have to pay the VRT. I have booked my recent import in for it's VRT inspection on the 31st May. The VRT is going to be around €7k and I'm wondering if I have to pay the full amount there and then? What I'm hoping is that I can get the valuation done and then go off to the bank and get a bankers draft drawn up and pay within the 30 day limit? Is this the case or would I then have to pay a penalty for another VRT inspection?

Thanks very much for your help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Hi Guys,

This is my first post although I've done a lot of reading! I have searched for an answer on this but not been able to find anything definite - sorry if I've missed it though!

My question has to do with when you have to pay the VRT. I have booked my recent import in for it's VRT inspection on the 31st May. The VRT is going to be around €7k and I'm wondering if I have to pay the full amount there and then? What I'm hoping is that I can get the valuation done and then go off to the bank and get a bankers draft drawn up and pay within the 30 day limit? Is this the case or would I then have to pay a penalty for another VRT inspection?

Thanks very much for your help guys.

You must pay the VRT within the 30 days. When you attend the inspection they will give you the amount to be paid but wont give you anything further until the VRT is paid. As long as you pay in full within the 30 days there should be no penalty. Only one inspection required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

First of all thanks for this thread, it's been an excellent resource and I wouldn't be considering importing if it wasn't for this thread.

I've read through the whole thread, I think I know what I need to do. For my initial contact however, I'm wondering what sort of information should I be expecting from them? I'm going to ask if I can arrange an independent inspection, get evidence of service history (as I've no idea if it was serviced by a main dealer or not) and previous MOT certs emailed over. Oh and if it comes with 2 keys.

Is there anything else I should be asking for? They are a car supermarket (they perform HPI vehicle check and 114-point vehicle check), so not sure how much effort/information they will send over via email. They say they sell to non-UK residents if they come and collect the car and sort out the import papers (I assume that's means take the V5C document and get the VRT done).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ask them what method of payment do they accept and are there any additional charges associated with the method of payment - ie credit card transaction fee.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ask them what method of payment do they accept and are there any additional charges associated with the method of payment - ie credit card transaction fee.

Good idea, thanks. I know they only charge for credit cards, debit and bank transfers are free. But I may need to use multiple payment types.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

if its car giant, they accepted a bank draft a 2 years ago anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

Does anyone have any experience of importing an ex-motability car? Trying to bring a car in from the UK so I would appreciate any help you can give.

thadg wrote: »
    if its car giant, they accepted a bank draft a 2 years ago anyway

It's carshop. Does it not take a day or so for a bank draft to go through?

Benzino wrote: »
    It's carshop. Does it not take a day or so for a bank draft to go through?

it didnt for my friend anyway, he asked them before hand though so may be better off ringing them to confirm. if you have a bank of Ireland debit card you can make a transaction of up to 50k euro. aib debit card is up to 2500 euro

• Advertisement

it didnt for my friend anyway, he asked them before hand though so may be better off ringing them to confirm. if you have a bank of Ireland debit card you can make a transaction of up to 50k euro. aib debit card is up to 2500 euro

Hmm, I see. I'm gonna try TransferMate, they seem quick and have some savings with their exchange rate. But I will look into the bank draft as a fallback. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Note that car giant only take U.K. Issued debit cards, and won't take credit cards for car purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bbbbb wrote: »
    Note that car giant only take U.K. Issued debit cards, and won't take credit cards for car purchases.

Revolut a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i take it with the euro so strong against sterling now is the time to strike ?

surely tempted to buy a turbo colt i saw on autotrader twitchy fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

fryup wrote: »
    i take it with the euro so strong against sterling now is the time to strike ?

surely tempted to buy a turbo colt i saw on autotrader twitchy fingers

It would be rude not to buy a car with the exchange rate the way it is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Was in last week and had a bank statement that was posted, they would not accept it as proof of address without an official stamp from the bank...anybody else have this issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

gary29428 wrote: »
    Was in last week and had a bank statement that was posted, they would not accept it as proof of address without an official stamp from the bank...anybody else have this issue...

Who wouldn't accept it? VRT? I work in a bank, I'd genuinely laugh if someone asked me to stamp a posted statement. Govt departments have lost the run of themselves with what they will and won't accept these days, between this and requiring the PPS card to get a drivers license its beyond a joke. They're going to run into real trouble with this sooner or later. Considering the PPS card is "not" an ID card according to Government and the fact that certain banks, including mine won't accept PPS card as ID for account opening purposes (because it doesn't have DOB on it) and now looking for a posted statement to be stamped theres just zero consistency between departments. Wrecks my head.

I'd be telling VRT that the bank refused to stamp it and see what they say. If thats the case do they require a utility bill to be stamped by Eircom or ESB? Nonsense rule.

Who wouldn't accept it? VRT? I work in a bank, I'd genuinely laugh if someone asked me to stamp a posted statement. Govt departments have lost the run of themselves with what they will and won't accept these days, between this and requiring the PPS card to get a drivers license its beyond a joke. They're going to run into real trouble with this sooner or later. Considering the PPS card is "not" an ID card according to Government and the fact that certain banks, including mine won't accept PPS card as ID for account opening purposes (because it doesn't have DOB on it) and now looking for a posted statement to be stamped theres just zero consistency between departments. Wrecks my head.

I'd be telling VRT that the bank refused to stamp it and see what they say. If thats the case do they require a utility bill to be stamped by Eircom or ESB? Nonsense rule.

it is stupid as with everything to do with vrt but they say this if it is an e-statement.A posted statement is ok, how they can tell the difference is another story:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

it is stupid as with everything to do with vrt but they say this if it is an e-statement.A posted statement is ok, how they can tell the difference is another story:rolleyes:

Would you believe there was a customer in work today who had a form they got of DSP that specified that e-statements weren't acceptable. Ended up giving the guy a letter on headed paper explaining banks position regarding e-statements, wonder will he be back :rolleyes:

The only difference between a posted statement and an e-statement is the paper is usually coloured on a posted bank statement but I just don't see how they can operate by insisting on a posted statement when i'd say everyone under the age of 30 have probably not seen a posted statement or utility bill in years. Mad situation when everyone else takes e-statements no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Too easy to forge Ebills/print offs. You can blame all the people who have tried to forge proof of address documents for that.

Was the posted statement you got just black and white or was it official bank statement paper?

Advertisement