Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Put the reg into motorcheck.ie, and see what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Using a combination of motorcheck.ie and VRT .ie confirms that the car matches the description on the Audi website and lists the CO2 as 134g. 
    It looks as if the guys in the NCT centre  will be contacting the Revenue to get advice on what to charge if I import the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mick4_2000

Hey guys I have something similar with the CO2 emissions on the V5C.

I've just put a deposit down on a 2015 Audi A6 S-Line Ultra S-T Auto and the V5C is showing Co2 as 119 but every website i check the Co2 emmisions is different and any variant i put into the revenue website i get something else.

Does anyone know if the Co2 is correct and if not how would you go to get the correct reading for VRT and Motortax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

You will pay the VRT on whatever is on the V5.

mgn wrote: »
    You will pay the VRT on whatever is on the V5.

No problem with that but its not on the revenue website and it's not on honestjohn.co.uk for example as ever having an engine with Co2 emissions of 119. I have a HPI report showing it as 110 which would make a difference on the VRT might just be a case of appealing afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

http://www.checkthecar.com/ Put the Reg into this history checker and see is it on it.

mgn wrote: »
    http://www.checkthecar.com/ Put the Reg into this history checker and see is it on it.

Yup 119 so i guess I will just need to see what the NCT guys will do.

Nice website thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just make sure you have the correct model variant selected on the VRT calculator as it has been known to be inaccurate. Either way they will go off what is on the V5C but if the model variant Stat code is not on the VRT system then they will need to ask Revenue for a figure.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just make sure you have the correct model variant selected on the VRT calculator as it has been known to be inaccurate. Either way they will go off what is on the V5C but if the model variant Stat code is not on the VRT system then they will need to ask Revenue for a figure.

I've selected every model of 2015 A6 Automatic just to check and none of them have a Co2 of 119 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Closest I could get was 116g using STAT code: 43288161.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I've been looking at UK cars and I'm just wondering what a VOSA mileage reading is?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mick4_2000 wrote: »
    I've selected every model of 2015 A6 Automatic just to check and none of them have a Co2 of 119 :confused:

That’s just because no one has yet imported a secondhand model with 119g/I’m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Hi. I'm buying a car in the UK in next few days and have read through this thread tonight for very useful information. I set up a transfermate account to handle to transfer to the dealer but I notice a lot of people advising the use of a visa debit card instead and there is no need to transfer funds to dealer account in advance. I don't like the idea of the money sitting in their account in advance in case there is any hiccup on the day of pickup.

Problem is I don't have a visa debit only a credit card and presumably it would take a number of days to be issued with a new visa debit card. I was wondering could I use my wife's card? Would the dealer have any issue using a card that was not in my own name? The car is for my wife in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Looking to buy a UK import but am wondering when searching for a car how did ppl deal with the UK postcode sceanario, there are hundreds of them. Are there any sites that will search the complete UK, Autotrader and motor UK and others want me to enter in a postcode, does this mean they only search this postcodes area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

They search for cars throughout the whole UK but sort the results based on distance to the postcode you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

creedp wrote: »
    Hi. I'm buying a car in the UK in next few days and have read through this thread tonight for very useful information. I set up a transfermate account to handle to transfer to the dealer but I notice a lot of people advising the use of a visa debit card instead and there is no need to transfer funds to dealer account in advance. I don't like the idea of the money sitting in their account in advance in case there is any hiccup on the day of pickup.

Problem is I don't have a visa debit only a credit card and presumably it would take a number of days to be issued with a new visa debit card. I was wondering could I use my wife's card? Would the dealer have any issue using a card that was not in my own name? The car is for my wife in any case!

Debit cards have daily transaction limits which are quite small compared to the amount of money you'd be needing for a car purchase so I'd be finding out what limits your bank has on debit card transactions before ordering or trying to use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

superg wrote: »
    Debit cards have daily transaction limits which are quite small compared to the amount of money you'd be needing for a car purchase so I'd be finding out what limits your bank has on debit card transactions before ordering or trying to use one.

I think AIB are 2500 euro, BOI are 50000 euro on debit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Thanks. Will check the daily limit on an Ulster Bank card. Any view on whether dealer would have a problem with me using my accept my wife's debit card?

Must just get my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

I'm buying a car from Macklin Motors in Glasgow. The max they will accept in cash is £5000, and £500 max on credit/debit cards, so anything over that has to be transferred by bank transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Mr_Man wrote: »
    Using a combination of motorcheck.ie and VRT .ie confirms that the car matches the description on the Audi website and lists the CO2 as 134g. 
    It looks as if the guys in the NCT centre  will be contacting the Revenue to get advice on what to charge if I import the car.

Is it fellas in nct centre that calculate vrt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Johngoose wrote: »
    Is it fellas in nct centre that calculate vrt?

No. Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Hi guys, quick question which i'm sure I could find the answer to if I dug deep enough but I assume there are car brokers who will source a UK car of specific spec for you and save you the hassle of going through all of the steps described in the opening post? If so, what kind of premium do they charge does anyone know and is there anyone specific that you would recommend?

Looking at options at the moment but could be looking at importing 2 cars but not for a good few months yet due to my work situation.....I think i'd be happy to take a small hit on getting a broker to source me exactly what i'm looking for and taking the hassle out of it....one car I might be looking at would be a 430d for around 20k sterling based on current prices if that's any use for the advice.......
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

mick4_2000 wrote: »

They will need to create a new code for your car - takes about 5-10 days and they ring/text you with the confirmed VRT quote.

The % of VRT is based on the V5 Co2, it's just how much they value the car at.

Happened to me last year with a BMW 525d and I ended up appealing the value and got back €600.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

VRT timing question.

Looking at importing in Dec, so how does the 7 / 30 days work for the VRT calculation.

If I buy and land it in on the 12 Dec 2018, book the VRT inspection before the 19th for the 4th Jan 2019.

What date is the VRT calculated? Is it the landed date or the inspection date?
    Would the change in year make much difference?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

traco wrote: »
    VRT timing question.

Looking at importing in Dec, so how does the 7 / 30 days work for the VRT calculation.

If I buy and land it in on the 12 Dec 2018, book the VRT inspection before the 19th for the 4th Jan 2019.

What date is the VRT calculated? Is it the landed date or the inspection date?
    Would the change in year make much difference?

Inspection date. It'll only make a small bit of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

Inspection date. It'll only make a small bit of a difference.

That's sound - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Hi guys, quick question which i'm sure I could find the answer to if I dug deep enough but I assume there are car brokers who will source a UK car of specific spec for you and save you the hassle of going through all of the steps described in the opening post? If so, what kind of premium do they charge does anyone know and is there anyone specific that you would recommend?

Looking at options at the moment but could be looking at importing 2 cars but not for a good few months yet due to my work situation.....I think i'd be happy to take a small hit on getting a broker to source me exactly what i'm looking for and taking the hassle out of it....one car I might be looking at would be a 430d for around 20k sterling based on current prices if that's any use for the advice.......
    thanks in advance

Any progress with this ?In the same situation myself .Have the car sourced and funds available .Flying over and driving back is not practical due to my remote location.Surely there are some garages/individuals that do this for a decent fee?Most garages Ive contacted only want to bring in and sell you their own auction purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Is Revolut bank transfer a better option to pay these days?

In regards to inspections, is there one that is better then another? Also I've noticed some dealers have already had an AA inspection completed, do you just request to be sent a copy? Could prefer to have one done myself so to talk to the inspector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Is Revolut bank transfer a better option to pay these days?

In regards to inspections, is there one that is better then another? Also I've noticed some dealers have already had an AA inspection completed, do you just request to be sent a copy? Could prefer to have one done myself so to talk to the inspector.

Transfermate tends to be cheaper plus you'll have a dedicated person you can ring if you have any questions etc. Revolut requires you to have a premium account for turbo transfers and that's around €80. Transfermate charge €10.

Advertisement