Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning 2 houses into 1?

Options
  • 27-07-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

This is a bit of a hypothetical, and I'm not sure if it belongs here or in the legal forum, but anyway, here goes.

My in-laws live in a terraced house, which used to be the corner house. They built a second house onto the original, where my sister-in-law lives. Completely separate house. If at some point in the future you wanted to turn the 2 houses into 1 big one, can you legally do this? Similarly, if you had 2 houses in the middle of a terrace, could you knock through from 1 into the other to make a bigger house? Is it just a question of planning, or are there legal restrictions that prevents this from happening?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Once planning permission is obtained, it should be legally possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

kceire wrote: »
    Once planning permission is obtained, it should be legally possible.

Would planning permission be an issue only based on the local's opinions, or would there be other reasons that might prevent this? (e.g. local authority rules/laws/etc)?

dulpit wrote: »
    Would planning permission be an issue only based on the local's opinions, or would there be other reasons that might prevent this? (e.g. local authority rules/laws/etc)?

Depends on the context tbh.
    I cant see it been an issues, but as above, really depends on the site in question.

We've done a few splitting one into 2 and adding extensions and they went through ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There is is a house for sale in Sandycove that was two turned into one so its possible but I would suspect planning is required

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/88-89-lower-albert-road-sandycove-co-dublin/3663050

Rew wrote: »
    There is is a house for sale in Sandycove that was two turned into one so its possible but I would suspect planning is required

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/88-89-lower-albert-road-sandycove-co-dublin/3663050

No suspect about it. Planning is 100% required ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There may also be folio and property tax issues- e.g. you don't want to end up having two separate property tax demands on the dwelling...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Sounds like you would have to "bump off" the sister-in-law for this fiendish plan to be carried out!;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I live in an end of terrace house. The house we're attached to hasn't had anyone living in it for years, I'd be interested to know too if it's possible to convert 2 into 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

It is possible if you get proper planning permission, however, if you have a mortgage or are looking to get one for it as far as I know the banks don't look too favourably on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Johngoose wrote: »
    Sounds like you would have to "bump off" the sister-in-law for this fiendish plan to be carried out!;-)

:pac:

• Advertisement

gumbo1 wrote: »
    I live in an end of terrace house. The house we're attached to hasn't had anyone living in it for years, I'd be interested to know too if it's possible to convert 2 into 1.

Yes. Apply for planning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kceire wrote: »
    Yes. Apply for planning.

And buy it, of course.........
    If its been vacant for years- you could try for adverse possession- doubt you'd get anywhere with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Planning is just one aspect. These houses have separate heating, electrical, gas and fire safety requirements.

Combining them is not just a matter of knocking a new door in once you get planning.

Get an engineer to assess this.

Lantus wrote: »
    Planning is just one aspect. These houses have separate heating, electrical, gas and fire safety requirements.

Combining them is not just a matter of knocking a new door in once you get planning.

Get an engineer to assess this.

Not so much fire safety concerns as its still a single family dwelling after the conversion. Normal procedures apply. Electrical and gas will obviously have to be combined or at least one of the extended to facilitate a future split back into 2.

Advertisement