Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a bedroom window on ground level be a problem for you?

Options
  • 27-07-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a property in Dublin and will be renting a room to help me with my mortgage.

I saw a place last night that I really liked with one drawback - the bedroom windows are on the ground level facing the street.

As i'll be relying on having a tenant to afford the place I just want to get a gauge on what people think of this.

Would it be a problem for you having your bedroom window on the ground floor, with a footpath outside? It's a quiet area but even still...

Any / all opinions very much welcomed.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Personally speaking I wouldn't have an issue if there was some space between the window itself and the path. Is there a front garden or anything?

If it's going to be for student accommodation, I reckon the area would be more important than whether or not the bedroom window is facing the front. One thing to check - how insulated/noisy is the room likely to be? If the window is triple glazed that should damped down noise quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Pinkmoon19

Thanks a mil for your reply. So just to be clear the footpath is on the opposite side of the window. It's an apartment so no front garden, just a patio in the back.

It's not for students no, more like professionals working in city centre or perhaps medical professionals working in The Coombe / James's.

I'm going back for a second viewing tomorrow so will definitely check the glazing on the windows, that's a great tip, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I lived in a room like that in college, but wouldn't be as keen these days. The place in college had bars on the outside of the window so that you could have the window open for air, but no-one could climb in (which would be my biggest concern after noise).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Lived in a ground floor apartment in Dublin before and even though window was facing a court yard ,we had a few attempted break-ins and was always wary of having window open...my personal choice would be second floor room...could be a noise issue as well.. I think given the choice most renters would prefer top floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Personally would not rent a place with a ground floor bedroom, as I wouldn't be able to leave the window open at night if the room was stuffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wouldn't fancy it myself either. Back when I first started renting we were in a ground floor apartment. The bedroom window was at the front something similar to what you're discussing. I never really felt 100% safe.

Saying that, at the time it was really hard to find a place to rent and we stayed there for a year - so sometimes needs must!

the_syco wrote: »
    Personally would not rent a place with a ground floor bedroom, as I wouldn't be able to leave the window open at night if the room was stuffy.

This was actually one of the things I was thinking about. I had my window open last night and that's when it occurred to me that this would be a problem.

Darn, so annoying when everything else is so ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Personally no, if you are thinking of medical professionals then good chance they might be working nights so noise would be a huge issue.

Not against ground floor bedrooms but thing they should not be accessible from the street due to safety issues.

Besides that if you are relying on someone else to pay your mortgage maybe now might not be the best time for a mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from third level accommodation

Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I would sleep with a bottom window if it was a house with a drive.

If it was on a road/path not a chance,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can put security bars on a window inside, the window can still be opened on hot days.paint them white or grey.People live in ground floor apartments, so all the windows are on the ground floor.
    or theres hinges designed so the window only opens a few inches ,
    i,m not an expert on rules re windows and fire safety.
    Maybe a lock will allow the window be fully opened from the inside in case of emergency.

https://www.abus.com/eng/Commercial-Security/Window-security/Side-hinge-units

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You can put a trellis type security grille inside. It looks like leaded windows from the outside.
    http://www.burglarybusters.ie/windows.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I wouldn't particualrly mind. I lived in such a ground floor apartment a few years ago, and didn't have any particular concerns about security.
    WHat may have eased my mind was the window in question pointed at a well traficked area, so not you typical secluded burglary spot

Thanks everyone for all your comments, they are much appreciated. i am going back for a second viewing this evening and will have a proper look at the windows and monitor football passing the complex too.

To answer the questions on the complex, this apartment is within a complex, there is a double door which opens onto the inner ground of the complex but the bedroom windows are on the outer side with a footpath outside. I noticed that there are double yellow lines on this side of the road, which would prohibit cars from parking outside the window which might help.

the idea of security grills on the inside of the window is definitely something I'm going to consider, and the estate agent did mention that they are installing outer security bars along all ground floor windows.

I've been looking to buy for a while and this is the first place I've found that meets with my budget and is actually nice, well designed inside.

Thanks again for all your comments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pinkmoon19 wrote: »
    Would it be a problem for you having your bedroom window on the ground floor, with a footpath outside? It's a quiet area but even still...

Typically- a purchaser or a renter will pay somewhere between 15-20% less for either purchasing or renting a ground floor property- over and above an upper floor property (have a look at Propertypriceregister.ie for prices for units in the same complex to illustrate this).

My bedroom is facing out on footpath- with a light outside (and in addition- is at a spot that the local Gardaí use for stopping prospective drink drivers for testing on Friday and Saturday nights).

Providing there were good shutters on the window- affording decent privacy and additional security- which would also assist with blocking out light- and people's view from the road- I wouldn't necessarily have an issue- however- they would have to be proper shutters that you could open and close- and preferably the kind with the bar which secures across the window.

Its not an idea situation- which is why its normally so much cheaper than comparable properties which aren't at ground floor level. Given an alternate option- even if it were more expensive- or didn't tick as many of my boxes- I'd probably go with the alternate. If you're getting it sufficiently cheap because of this- perhaps evaluate it- but it most certainly is an issue for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Pinkmoon19 wrote: »
    the idea of security grills on the inside of the window is definitely something I'm going to consider, and the estate agent did mention that they are installing outer security bars along all ground floor windows.

Question him more on what he means by outer security bars -

1. Why are they doing this now, x years after the complex was built?
    2. Are there drawings/designs of how this will look?
    3. Are they the half height bars (which prevent people sitting on the window sill), or full height?
    4. Do the windows have a "lock partially open" position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

It wouldn't be ideal but it may not bother some people for security reason but others may be unfazed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I'd be as concerned by external security bars preventing escape in the event of a fire or burglary as I would by someone entering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

If you are in that part of Dublin 8 I'd have huge reservations about buying a ground floor property full-stop. It's very rough around there.
    I don't know if you've gotten mortgage approval yet (ignore me if you have) but banks no longer factor in the income that you'd make by renting out a room as part of your monthly repayment capacity. Their affordability calculations are really tough and based on your income alone.

Advertisement