Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pint of Guinness Dublin city centre

Options
  • 27-07-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

I know this has been done to death but haven't noticed a new thread about this in the last few years.

So best pint of Guinness around the city centre. I was thinking
    Bowes
    Mulligans
    The Palace
    Stags Head etc..........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The Palace gets the nod from me, I used to love the pint from Brogans on Dame st too but that has gone downhill recently. The Palace pint is consistently up there with the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'd say Bowes, but for one not mentioned yet, the Dame Tavern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

The Bores Head or the Grave Diggers for me all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm neither a regular Guinness drinker or a barfly around famous Dublin pubs, but I would have thought that the pint would be of a consistent quality? It's a mass produced beer brewed by one of the largest distillers in the world. Having such variance in quality in the capital city of their largest market wouldn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm neither a regular Guinness drinker or a barfly around famous Dublin pubs, but I would have thought that the pint would be of a consistent quality? It's a mass produced beer brewed by one of the largest distillers in the world. Having such variance in quality in the capital city of their largest market wouldn't make sense.

I agree, it's complete nonsense for such variance from a product produced by a company that employs a quality team, thus ensuring that said product is consistent.

It's fun pub talk though.

• Advertisement

Difference with Guiness compared to most other beers is that allot of the quality of your pint is dependent on the actual pour , there is a skill to pulling a great pint of Guiness and a poorly pulled pint of the black stuff is utterly vile. It really does vary place to place around Dublin mostly based on the skill of the bar staff rather then the actual quality of whats in the Keg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've found Guinness can vary massively in taste. I think if a bar is busier and going through more kegs then generally the Guinness is better. Freeneys in Galway has always had good Guinness and it's always busy. But I got a pint last Friday in a very busy hotel bar and it was really awful, like I couldn't finish it and I love Guinness. Friends that were with me said the same. I don't know if it has anything to do with how the Guinness is poured, I watch the bar tender pour and to me it seemed he did it the same as everywhere else. I've heard people say that leaving it to stand and then topping it up is pointless, but I don't know.

Any bar tenders here care to weigh in on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

If you were a regular Guinness drinker you would have experienced good, bad and indifferent pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

A bad pint of Ken is also vile. The difference between a pint of Guinness/Beer in a pub compared to say a can of coke is all the external factors the pint goes through which the can of coke does not.

Person pulling the pint, quality of taps in the bar, cleanliness of the glass etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Difference with Guiness compared to most other beers is that allot of the quality of your pint is dependent on the actual pour , there is a skill to pulling a great pint of Guiness and a poorly pulled pint of the black stuff is utterly vile. It really does vary place to place around Dublin mostly based on the skill of the bar staff rather then the actual quality of whats in the Keg

what, the two part or the three part pour?

Utter myth, marketing tosh that you've well and truly been hoodwinked into believing.

Have you "blind tasted" pints of Guinness, one of which is single poured the other of which is double-poured?

Also, the very reason Diageo go around cleaning lines themselves is to virtually guarantee the same blandness is available in all outlets where their procuct is served.

There maybe some slight difference in pubs, down to lines of varying length and distance from the cold rooms, but it won't be much.

All this "Pub XXX does a great pint" may be down to the ambiance and clientele of a certain establishment, but it most certainly not down to the product or any "skill" of a barman in being able to pour liquid into a glass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've never really experienced this massive variation in the quality of Guinness that other people seem to, and I'd drink it reasonably regularly.

You can get bad pints, same way you can get a bad pint of anything, but generally I find Guinness to be fairly consistent.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

There are a number of factors, pull, tap, tubes from keg, how the glass is cleaned that can affect how a pint tastes. Pull being the most easily remedied. Nothing worse than receiving a pint with a miserable head.

I know the bar man in my local well and he was saying that all the Guinness glasses in the bar are hand-washed now as the dishwasher was leaving a residue on them that was spoiling pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

This is all nonsense. None of you could pick out your nominated "better pint" in a blind taste taste, nevermind "a pint from pub x". Id be surprised if most of you could pick out Guinness in a blind test with other Irish nitro stouts. Guinness doesnt vary "massively" in taste from location to location, its an industrially produced product designed to taste the same everywhere, QA'ed by professional food tasters and supported by a fleet of cellar 'engineers' whose job it is to ensure it tastes the same everywhere. And suggesting the pour affects the taste of the liquid in the glass is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Buckfast W wrote: »
    I know this has been done to death but haven't noticed a new thread about this in the last few years.

So best pint of Guinness around the city centre. I was thinking
    Bowes
    Mulligans
    The Palace
    Stags Head etc..........

The Dawson Lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

All this "Pub XXX does a great pint" may be down to the ambiance and clientele of a certain establishment, but it most certainly not down to the product or any "skill" of a barman in being able to pour liquid into a glass.

Don't be so flippant. There is a good and a bad way to do anything. I could pour a pint of Guinness or beer with no head, all head or the proper ratio. Guess which will taste the best?

Still true though.

what, the two part or the three part pour?

Utter myth, marketing tosh that you've well and truly been hoodwinked into believing.

Have you "blind tasted" pints of Guinness, one of which is single poured the other of which is double-poured?

Also, the very reason Diageo go around cleaning lines themselves is to virtually guarantee the same blandness is available in all outlets where their procuct is served.

There maybe some slight difference in pubs, down to lines of varying length and distance from the cold rooms, but it won't be much.

i'd be a fairly regular Guniness drinker and have drunk in allot of pubs round the city i would say you get real varience , just about anything youget in temple bar or any cafe bar is pure muck , Traditional pubs top quality from my experience

i'd be a fairly regular Guniness drinker and have drunk in allot of pubs round the city i would say you get real varience
    Its all in your head. You associate "good Guinness" with 'Traditional pubs' before you even taste the beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Don't be so flippant. There is a good and a bad way to do anything. I could pour a pint of Guinness or beer with no head, all head or the proper ratio. Guess which will taste the best?

It's easy to pour a lager with no head or loads of head. It's actually quite hard to control the amount of head on a pint of nitro stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Bowes
    Mulligans
    The Palace
    Stags Head etc..........

Grogans on South William Street is decent.

My #1 pint would be JJ Smyth's on Aungier St.

• Advertisement

Its all in your head. You associate "good Guinness" with 'Traditional pubs' before you even taste the beer.

Ah right ok , i'll remember that in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Diegeo marketing department in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Kehoes. South Anne st. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Grogans on South William Street is decent.

My #1 pint would be JJ Smyth's on Aungier St.
    Never been in JJ Smyth's

Hartigans on lesson street
    Toners Baggot street
    Dohney & Nesbitts
    O'Donoghues Merrion row
    Kehoes South Anne Street
    Mc Neills Capel street
    Nearys Chatman street

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Diegeo marketing department in full swing.

Not really, I used to work in a bar and if the tap has not been used all day and you get the first pint then good luck to you. Its better with the modern taps but the old ones from a few years ago you'd have to put a bucket under the tap if it hadn't been used in 24 hrs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Cassidy's on Camden Street. One of the biggest difference makers with Guinness is how far the taps are from the keg and where the keg is stored.

youll just have to accept that you are wrong on this one.
    There's plenty of all types of pubs that serve crap and lovely pints..

dont worry about it.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    youll just have to accept that you are wrong on this one.
    There's plenty of all types of pubs that serve crap and lovely pints..

dont worry about it.

Yeah, no. This is all just silly pub talk from people who dont really know anything about beer.

But sure crack on.

But sure crack on.

thats the spirit, have a good day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

These four would be my personal favorites;

Palace
    Mulligans
    Gravediggers
    Toners

Last two pints i had O'Donoghues were yet again in greasy glasses. Does my head in....

I agree on the whole marketing thing being so OTT. The barman concerned can drastically alter the standard of your pint even if the flow etc is bang on. Some barman simply pour better pints.

My local lost a couple this year :-(

Advertisement