Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pint of Guinness Dublin city centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Patww79 wrote: »

I heard 11 or 12mm is how they did it in the old days tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

BeerNut wrote: »
    Where and when did you last see this? Give us a year and a county.
    no

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mafitz

best pint for me in Dubin City center, a must visit on the way to the Aviva to watch a match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Not city centre but the sheds in Clontarf is a great pint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

My #1 pint would be JJ Smyth's on Aungier St.

The pints upstairs are by far the best. Of course it might be the Jazz & Blues makes me think that ;)

Also, Hughes on Chancery St does an excellent pint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I have to call bullsh*t on that. Never in 20 years or so of drinking in pubs have I seen that for real, it's an urban myth. Maybe it was done in the 70s or something.
    Interesting about the glasses thing though you were on about, my mate who was a barman preaches from the same book about having the glasses a certain way for the best pint.

I know for certain slops were reused in a few pubs in London in the Summer of 1988. I was young and innocent and told this was the done thing. Who was I to argue! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

BeerNut wrote: »
    Why not?[/QUOTE
    okay it was Dublin the 90's 00's and from friends of mine still in the business still happening today. this was because in the early 90's Guinness started testing the RB kegs that were being returned and refusing the credit, up to this point everything was being accepted carte blanche so now the publicans had to get their money back somehow and this was one way of doing it. It was like the old days of substituting Smirnoff with Huzzar Bacardi with Kiskadee as they were cheaper and therefore had a higher margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Anything to be said for the Oval on Abbey street!!
    Granigers on Talbot street does a good pint or Clearys on Amiens street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I definitely agree that the taste varies. Clontarf Castle bar (the old bar) has beautiful Guinness. My local serves such crap Guinness, that I sometimes use a taxi to get to Clontarf. When I drink in the local , I drink Smithwicks. This despite having spoken to a member of the quality team who regularly cleans the pipes in my local. But here's something. Gaffney's in Fairview - who serve good Guinness - have a policy about washing glasses. Nothing but glasses is allowed in the washer. ESPECIALLY tea/coffee cups. Apparently its something to do with milk residue. I do not agree that the pouring affects the taste. One time I walked into a pub in Manchester and ordered a pint of Guinness. She put the empty glass under the tap and pressed a button. When the tap stopped pouring, she placed the pint on the counter and walked off. I watched it settle, and then waited for her to top it off. Eventually she came over and asked me what was wrong. Somewhat embarrassed I explained about topping off the pint, whereupon she showed me the pint mark on the side of the glass and assured me I had received the prescribed volume. Whoops, and to make it worse, it tasted fine!!

So, there's no doubting that all pints leave the brewery tasting the same, but its what happens after delivery to the pub that affects the taste.

Walk around the corner to The Sheds for a nicer pint! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Anything to be said for the Oval on Abbey street!!
    Granigers on Talbot street does a good pint or Clearys on Amiens street

Decent pint alright. When I worked in the Irish Independent in the 90's a lot of lads from work drank there. However we used to walk past it to go to the Bachelor, so it wasn't that great.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Grogans in town is always a good pint, anytime I've gone to Mulligans the pints have been good.

The Gravediggers is my choice for the best pint in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Trond wrote: »
    Walk around the corner to The Sheds for a nicer pint! :D

Well, I'll have to suss that out. Imagine , I'm 61 and I've never been there, and I'm about 2 miles from it. (as the crow flies, or walks home after a few pints).

Davexirl wrote: »
    Grogans in town is always a good pint, anytime I've gone to Mulligans the pints have been good.

The Gravediggers is my choice for the best pint in town.

The Gravediggers isn't in town though, it's in Glasnevin. Isn't i?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Well, I'll have to suss that out. Imagine , I'm 61 and I've never been there, and I'm about 2 miles from it. (as the crow flies, or walks home after a few pints).

Wow! You are in for a treat. Just a proper old school boozer. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you notice from comments here a lot of the pubs with "good " pints of Guinness are consistently named , wth the same names coming up over and over.
    There is one common denominator that these Iconic pubs SHARE ,

they DON'T serve FOOD.

Fats from food, and milk residue from tea and coffee cross contaminate the glass washers in pubs , causing a nano film on the Beer glasses which then effects the look and taste of Guinness or even lagers if a bad enough film.

You've all seen wrong size bubbles on some pints of heineken etc.

This food effect is one reason why hotels have notoriously bad pints.

So if you look again at the good pints pub list , there's a correlation with little or no food sales .
    The pub mentioned earlier that hand washes the pint glasses is one way of over coming this fat residue problem.

Another reasons for good Guinness this is flow rate and yes distance from tap to keg, but constantly flowing Guinness will be better so this is dependent on the ratio of Guinness going over the counter compared to cocktails and fancy shtuff.

Also the best looking pint of lager you'll get is from an old well worn glass , which mimics the effect of the glasses that had the etching on them to fizz up the bottom of the lager from Heineken and carlsberg that appeared a few years ago.
    My nomination for best pint is not city centre , but the Blue Light, over looking the whole city,north and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Brian? wrote: »
    The Gravediggers isn't in town though, it's in Glasnevin. Isn't i?

You're right it is Glasnevin but it's well worth the short trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

ckeego wrote: »
    Kehoes. South Anne st. End of.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Bigus wrote: »
    If you notice from comments here a lot of the pubs with "good " pints of Guinness are consistently named , wth the same names coming up over and over.
    There is one common denominator that these Iconic pubs SHARE ,

they DON'T serve FOOD.

Fats from food, and milk residue from tea and coffee cross contaminate the glass washers in pubs , causing a nano film on the Beer glasses which then effects the look and taste of Guinness or even lagers if a bad enough film.

You've all seen wrong size bubbles on some pints of heineken etc.

This food effect is one reason why hotels have notoriously bad pints.

So if you look again at the good pints pub list , there's a correlation with little or no food sales .
    The pub mentioned earlier that hand washes the pint glasses is one way of over coming this fat residue problem.

Another reasons for good Guinness this is flow rate and yes distance from tap to keg, but constantly flowing Guinness will be better so this is dependent on the ratio of Guinness going over the counter compared to cocktails and fancy shtuff.

Also the best looking pint of lager you'll get is from an old well worn glass , which mimics the effect of the glasses that had the etching on them to fizz up the bottom of the lager from Heineken and carlsberg that appeared a few years ago.
    My nomination for best pint is not city centre , but the Blue Light, over looking the whole city,north and south.

This is hilarious ill be putting up a beware of nanofilm notice in the bar i work now.Thats next level bull****ting.
    Glass washers in pubs wash glasses not plates or cups.
    Dishwashers are different beasts alltogether and have to have greasetraps etc.A scalding hot well maintained glasswasher is usually all thats needed.
    Some places are better at cleaning glasses then others some places go overboard with renovate and milton fluid and dont rinse them effectively.
    Some of these famous places have washing machines that get cleaned properly once a blue moon and or have busted elements or rusty trays going into them are spreading cold sores and the rest.Beer gardens and pubs that have 200 people outside the premise drinking tend to have the dirtiest glasses i find.
    Im ten years working in various city center pubs many of them on these lists.And have drank in most of the ones i havent worked in and literally there is a miniscule variance in the taste of guiness across the city.Some places its slightly cooler or warmer 1+- id wager.Occaisionally a technical issue might cause high pints but thats resolved by the quality team in the next day usually.
    These are Psychsomatic faults of particular bars or the case of the slight more mature generation of particular barmen.(Ordering off the older barman instead of the "Apprentice" :rolleyes:)
    Aesthetically the two part pour looks better and thats it.The rest is all in your head as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,427 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bowe's in Fleet St. Sound staff and a nice ambiance and clientele. Guinness is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Augme

The only thing I notice that these pubs have in common is that most are considered popular pubs in Dublin city centre. I don't think it's the "great" guiness that makes them popular either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Augme wrote: »
    The only thing I notice that these pubs have in common is that most are considered popular pubs in Dublin city centre. I don't think it's the "great" guiness that makes them popular either.

Brannigans Cathedral St thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Rainmann

Cobblestone in smithfield for me.. Proper vintage Irish pub with great Guiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Davexirl wrote: »
    You're right it is Glasnevin but it's well worth the short trip.

I always say this in these threads but I'm not a fan of the gravediggers, its dublins worst kept "secret". Always packed full of gob****es plus bar staff with poxy attitudes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The windjammer at the end of townsend street did the best pint I had in dublin in recent years

Not sure about consistency though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Surely they pick a suitably clean glass, tilt it at an angle, and fill the drink? It's hardly the type of activity that takes years of practice or a natural intuition? It's up there with the subway sandwich artist really
    Yep, and like subway or mcdonald or BK you will get variance on things which many say should be pretty much exact same. A kitchen worker in an expensive restaurant could similarly dish out the same food in a totally different manner than another.

Appearance of food is very important for some, it is for drinks too. People seem to presume everyone is claiming they can pass blind tastes. I reckon I could pass some guinness blind taste, as I could sense the head and how deep it is, which is important to me, so I would be able to pick out a preference. If the head was stripped off it I could probably not tell the difference -unless the glass was not washed right which people are reporting and which I have had, just like if a restaurant left residue in a soup bowl.

If I was blind folded and did a blind taste on these burgers I might not tell the difference, but if I knew the BK at the top of grafton street had the one on the left and the one at he bottom had the right I would go where it is nicer looking, as it does add to the enjoyment of the products. I don't usually eat or drink blindfolded, and/or with a straw.
    fastfoods-ads-vs-reality-burgerking.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not in town really, but Ryan's Parkgate Street.

And kind of in town, the Swan on Aungier Street.

And in town (at last....) The Hapenny Bridge Inn, and slightly out of sight, the Ferryman. Great for a pint after a gig in the Three Arena, the O2, the Point, whatever the feck it's called now.

• Advertisement

Not in town really, but Ryan's Parkgate Street.

And kind of in town, the Swan on Aungier Street.

And in town (at last....) The Hapenny Bridge Inn, and slightly out of sight, the Ferryman. Great for a pint after a gig in the Three Arena, the O2, the Point, whatever the feck it's called now.

The Hapenny bridge is a no no. I was upstairs there a few years ago. The bar man was really keen to talk orders from tables, it seemed a bit strange. I went up to the bar to investigate. He was collecting slops and throwing it it to start of a new pint. Small tub under each tap. Have never been back since. That was about 6 years ago.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement