Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pint of Guinness Dublin city centre

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Brian? wrote: »
    The Hapenny bridge is a no no. I was upstairs there a few years ago. The bar man was really keen to talk orders from tables, it seemed a bit strange. I went up to the bar to investigate. He was collecting slops and throwing it it to start of a new pint. Small tub under each tap. Have never been back since. That was about 6 years ago.

6 years is a long time in pubs/politics though!

But you have made your mind up.... fair enough. Nothing I can do about that.

I've never ventured upstairs to be fair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Hapenny bridge is a no no. I was upstairs there a few years ago. The bar man was really keen to talk orders from tables, it seemed a bit strange. I went up to the bar to investigate. He was collecting slops and throwing it it to start of a new pint. Small tub under each tap. Have never been back since. That was about 6 years ago.

Did you actually see him put it in a pint, In me day slops were collected to to be funneled into an empty keg and sent back when full to james gate as a "bad keg" for a refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bambi wrote: »
    Did you actually see him put it in a pint, In me day slops were collected to to be funneled into an empty keg and sent back when full to james gate as a "bad keg" for a refund

I actually worked in one of the pubs that Guinness owned in Dublin before they divested.

We had 4 buckets of "scooby"

Guinness
    Smithwicks
    Non-Bud Lager
    Bud

We'd even collect unfinished pints off the table at the end of the night and lash those into the buckets as well as the drip tray stuff.

Once the 10 Litre Mayonaisse bucket was full we'd put the beer into a Keg and it would be taken by the delivery guys when new kegs came.

The best part was putting the reverse tapping head connected to the big funnel into a keg for the first time and all the gas shooting out.

That beer 100% was never re-sold to the public, and I've absolutely no idea what Guinness themselves were doing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Ended up doing a pub crawl around town Friday afternoon, Mc Neills on Capel street was the best pint I had a day. Bowes came in second, Mulligans in third and Chaplins came in last place.
    The pints in Chaplins were ok but they looked a bit flat, the head was pretty thin. In Mc Neills they only have 1 tap which I think creates a much better flow and taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That beer 100% was never re-sold to the public, and I've absolutely no idea what Guinness themselves were doing with it.
    This seems to have been common practise, I hear of it quite a lot so guinness must have been well aware.

What I have not heard of is people diulting these slops, or filling them with cheaper beer, I imagine tesco value stout would have been cheaper, or import gone off kegs from the UK or something. If you were getting full price I could imagine it would be worthwhile for some gang to be brewing stout like the IRA make fake smirnoff.

You would think guinness would not want cigarrette butts or chewing gum etc going into their kegs, making it harder to clean.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I saw him put it into pints, plural.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The best part was putting the reverse tapping head connected to the big funnel into a keg for the first time and all the gas shooting out.

fun times :D

I saw him put it into pints, plural.

Lord lampin jaysus, I'd have a drink in the ha'penny the odd time back around then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bigus wrote: »
    If you notice from comments here a lot of the pubs with "good " pints of Guinness are consistently named , wth the same names coming up over and over.
    There is one common denominator that these Iconic pubs SHARE ,

they DON'T serve FOOD.

Gravediggers serve food.
    The one common denominator is that they're all old style Dublin pubs. People feel like they're getting a "proper" pint when surrounded by auld lads and a dark worn out pub.

Best pint of smithwicks I got was in a hotel. It was midweek early and when the barman started to pour, clear line cleaner came out. There was over a pint of it which goes to show how much can be in the lines. But when I finally got my pint it was fantastic.
    I don't know about working behind the tap, is the cooler and gas put in at the keg in the basement, or at the bar? Assuming it must be at the bar in some cases if over a pint of liquid can be in the lines?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Gravediggers serve food.
    The one common denominator is that they're all old style Dublin pubs. People feel like they're getting a "proper" pint when surrounded by auld lads and a dark worn out pub.

Best pint of smithwicks I got was in a hotel. It was midweek early and when the barman started to pour, clear line cleaner came out. There was over a pint of it which goes to show how much can be in the lines. But when I finally got my pint it was fantastic.
    I don't know about working behind the tap, is the cooler and gas put in at the keg in the basement, or at the bar? Assuming it must be at the bar in some cases if over a pint of liquid can be in the lines?

Unless things have changed a lot since my day, you were poisoned :D

You have to run a whole load of water through the lines after you put line cleaner in it.

the line cleaner is diluted in water in a plastic sort of keg and hooked instead of the beer keg, then the tap is pulled so the line cleaner runs all the way through, you leave it sit for a while ( too long damages the line) and then hook a big plastic keg of water up and run that through to wash everything the line cleaner shifts out until all the line cleaner is cleared out too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Unless things have changed a lot since my day, you were poisoned :D

You have to run a whole load of water through the lines after you put line cleaner in it.

the line cleaner is diluted in water in a plastic sort of keg and hooked instead of the beer keg, then the tap is pulled so the line cleaner runs all the way through, you leave it sit for a while ( too long damages the line) and then hook a big plastic keg of water up and run that through to wash everything the line cleaner shifts out until all the line cleaner is cleared out too
    He didn't reconnect anything. He just kept pouring till it went from clear liquid to smithwicks, took about a pint and a quarter. Maybe it was water and not cleaner? Either way, it was a great pint, I was expecting it to be terrible.

Cienciano wrote: »
    He didn't reconnect anything. He just kept pouring till it went from clear liquid to smithwicks, took about a pint and a quarter. Maybe it was water and not cleaner? Either way, it was a great pint, I was expecting it to be terrible.

Dunno, it was the mid 90s when I used to do this, you'd have to pull all the water out through the tap, hook the keg up and then pull until the beer is coming out the taps. You'd then have to pull a few pints and chuck them out because they'd be high (all head due to the amount of gas) before you'd have a pint that you could serve

Presume things have changed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Dunno, it was the mid 90s when I used to do this, you'd have to pull all the water out through the tap, hook the keg up and then pull until the beer is coming out the taps. You'd then have to pull a few pints and chuck them out because they'd be high (all head due to the amount of gas) before you'd have a pint that you could serve

Presume things have changed

You'll only get a few pints of head if the fob hasn't worked. If the fob works properly you'll be able to draw the water through and then once the beer starts flowing you're good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah but jaysis, you'd have had some prick of a loungeboy changing the keg on a busy saturday night and not turning off the gas at the fob just to fúck with you.

I know, I was one of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I count 37 "best pints of Guinness in Dublin city centre" nominated in this thread. This is gas altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

I count 37 "best pints of Guinness in Dublin city centre" nominated in this thread. This is gas altogether.

Right we get it , u are not into Guinness. It's muck, Diageo are a big bad Corp and there is zero difference in pints ever - thanks for the input! Yet again!
    Was in Quinn's drumcondra the other night ,simply woeful Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I have to call bullsh*t on that. Never in 20 years or so of drinking in pubs have I seen that for real, it's an urban myth. Maybe it was done in the 70s or something.
    Interesting about the glasses thing though you were on about, my mate who was a barman preaches from the same book about having the glasses a certain way for the best pint.

Not a myth at all, at least it was certainly true in the seventies, i worked in one well-known (inner-suburbs) pub, still in business where the "Suzy" tap was the one the recycled slops were fed through, used to top up pints, never a full pint served from it. As for taste tests, after one or two pints, most drinkers can't tell stout from beer from lager from water. I've seen it done, blindfold, and all the talk of "taste' and "flavour' is just bullcrap I'm afraid.

Advertisement