Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fell in love with house, the perils of emotional attachment

Options
  • 27-07-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Fell in love with a house at our max budget plus some more,
    and someone came in and offered more than asking and sale agreed on the same day, Why did i let myself get so emotional attached:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hang on, the EA or seller didnt come back to you and looking for more?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TENHNY

No he just agreed as the other party offered more than asking price and the Estate agent was happy there funds were ready to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Don't get so emotionally attached next time and be level headed with what your limit it and also if things start getting out of hand on the bidding walk away you will be the better for it down the line when you have not over stretched yourself financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

TENHNY wrote: »
    Fell in love with a house at our max budget plus some more,
    and someone came in and offered more than asking and sale agreed on the same day, Why did i let myself get so emotional attached:mad:

It'd be pretty hard not to in fairness. You're only human. But....there will be other houses and as Angel rightly pointed out, when you've had time to digest the missed opportunity, just think that had they got back to you, you may very well have pushed yourself financially only for the actual buyer of the property to up the ante again.... the agents would have then just got the popcorn out, sat back and enjoyed the show.

Ya thanks for that Valid points for both,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ya thanks for that Valid points for both,

Just to give you some hope, we were looking in a particular area for several months when a house came up in an estate we hadn't seen anything in before. We bid and counter bid for a couple of weeks and eventually had to reluctantly let it pass as we just didn't have enough cash to keep going, thought we had seriously missed the boat.

Once that one sold, four more houses in better repair came up in the same relatively small estate. We're sale agreed now in a slightly better location and will probably be moved in before the party that previously beat us finish their renovations.

There's always something else about to advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Irish people getting emotionally attached to property and paying above what they can realistically afford has left a lot of them either homeless, in huge negative equity, depressed, family breakdowns etc, so I wouldn't get so attached to something and worry about it.

Another house will come along. They are only bricks and mortar after all.

Oh great, time for my house buying story :D

Similar position years ago OP, initial deal fell through. However, it was the best thing to happen to me. Firstly, the back garden was North facing which i hadn't realised at the time. It turned out that it was a marsh in both Summer and Winter months. Secondly about 3 years later, a commercial premises was built over-looking the back garden effectively turning your view out the kitchen window to 30 feet of concrete wall and shedding material.

Was I glad i missed that boat ;)

Oh great, time for my house buying story :D

Similar position years ago OP, initial deal fell through. However, it was the best thing to happen to me. Firstly, the back garden was North facing which i hadn't realised at the time. It turned out that it was a marsh in both Summer and Winter months. Secondly about 3 years later, a commercial premises was built over-looking the back garden effectively turning your view out the kitchen window to 30 feet of concrete wall and shedding material.

Was I glad i missed that boat ;)

Thank you for great story now please tell me your not still looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

audi12 wrote: »
    And

If you require it spelled out...

For some a car is something to get you from A to B. Others, it's their main passion.

Homes, where one can live, raise their children, be the last place they live before shuffling of this mortal coil can be a huge emotional investment.

Why value anything? Some people place great sentimental value on their home and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you simply see a house as a means of shelter and a place where your mail is sent, then that's fine too, but it would be a minority view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Please stay on topic. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

When I was looking for a house, I fell in absolute love with a house that slowly got pushed out of my budget even though I tried to stay in the race. I was heartbroken.
    I went to see many other houses, but nothing suited at all. Then one day, just out of desperation, I went to view a house that was not in the area I wanted but I fell in love again, it was just perfect.

The asking price was way under budget and average prices in the area, so I expected to see it rise and rise. I put a low offer on the next day, it was accepted an hour later, paid the booking deposit that afternoon, moved in a few months later. The house is still perfect.
    The estate agent said to me, people don't find their houses, houses find their people, and whats for you won't pass you, or some other wishy washy nonsense, but either way, the search is the soul destroying bit but you'll find something equal or better.

Thank you for great story now please tell me your not still looking

Not looking at all- purchased soon after but much better house.;)

I know lots of people are saying to you something like "what's for you won't pass you by" and you'll want to hit them:D

Well, hold off hitting them for the time being. It is a true saying. Move on and get back out there ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement