Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a SUP

Options
  • 27-07-2016 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi, looking for advice buying first SUP. Been advised by someone reputable to get smaller - about 9 or 10 feet because beginners don't stay beginners for long so not to buy based on level, and also slightly easier to get around. Then someone else told me the opposite - to go bigger, 11 feet + because 9 foot is too small for a beginner and I wouldn't have the endurance for it. However, they were trying to sell me a bigger board.

Beginner SUP but long time surfer, swimmer, sailor & rower so quite athletic in water (if that makes a difference)

Also, inflatable or not? I have the means to carry a hardboard, so inflatable would only be handy if I was going to fly with it - but don't really have any plans to take it away so was thinking to just go hard

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

khc wrote: »
    Hi, looking for advice buying first SUP. Been advised by someone reputable to get smaller - about 9 or 10 feet because beginners don't stay beginners for long so not to buy based on level, and also slightly easier to get around. Then someone else told me the opposite - to go bigger, 11 feet + because 9 foot is too small for a beginner and I wouldn't have the endurance for it. However, they were trying to sell me a bigger board.

Beginner SUP but long time surfer, swimmer, sailor & rower so quite athletic in water (if that makes a difference)

Also, inflatable or not? I have the means to carry a hardboard, so inflatable would only be handy if I was going to fly with it - but don't really have any plans to take it away so was thinking to just go hard

Thanks!
    I'd fo inflatable just for the ease of storing and travelling, if also go second hand on a board about 10 6.

Do you intend to use it in waves or flat ( east coast)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

thanks @ted1 - looking for second hand, and if I can get an inflatable in my price range I will but at the moment haven't found one. Is there much difference in the feel of them?

Mostly flat, east cost

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

khc wrote: »
    thanks @ted1 - looking for second hand, and if I can get an inflatable in my price range I will but at the moment haven't found one. Is there much difference in the feel of them?

Mostly flat, east cost

Aboveboard.ie in Dun Laoighre have done for sale for 550. They'll let you try before you buy and you can compare them to regular boards. There's not to much difference in them , it's only really in waves that you may notice a difference

Advertisement