Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Women have a right to be topless"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

What's your obsession with having people naked? Most people want to cover up to an extent. Maybe you can find a 1960 style commune and you can go there and be naked all day?

Trumpy, much like your namesake, you are missing the point by a mile.

She (the girl at the festival removed for showing her nipples) does not want you to think the same as her. She does not want you to take your clothes off. Not unless you want to.

And if you want to (have you ever taken your top off?)... she thinks you should have the right to. And that she should. That is all.

She knows that you have the right to cover up. And she knows that most people also prefer to cover up. But she wants to be treated equally to men. It's a very simple thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

She's just looking for excuses so she can claim she's oppressed.

She suffered discrimination at the festival due entirely to her gender. She was singled out and brought out by Gardai, which is humiliating. She believes discrimination is wrong, therefore she is oppressed.

Whether you agree with her or not, surely you can see her point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

She suffered discrimination at the festival due entirely to her gender. She was singled out and brought out by Gardai, which is humiliating. She believes discrimination is wrong, therefore she is oppressed.

Whether you agree with her or not, surely you can see her point.

jaysus if thats what you class as oppression id love to see how youd get on in saudi arabia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Depp wrote: »
    jaysus if thats what you class as oppression id love to see how youd get on in saudi arabia!

Ah well if that's the yardstick we may as well bring back corporal punishment and routine stonings. :rolleyes:

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah well if that's the yardstick we may as well bring back corporal punishment and routine stonings. :rolleyes:

cause i mentioned both of those things :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Yes, you brought up Saudi Arabia, remember? Maybe one of us can dig out a link to your post; it wasn't too far back.

edanto wrote: »
    Yes, you brought up Saudi Arabia, remember? Maybe one of us can dig out a link to your post; it wasn't too far back.

but i never mentioned capital punishment did i? i was talking about the oppression that women are subjected to out there and how it just goes to show how good we have it here!

You're using Saudi Arabia as a yard stick for what oppressed means.

but i never mentioned capital punishment did i? i was talking about the oppression that women are subjected to out there and how it just goes to show how good we have it here!

So woman here should count themselves lucky?

• Advertisement

So woman here should count themselves lucky?

well basically yeah, we all do here, I dont go around complaining like ''I cant afford these shoes right now my life is so hard'' when theres people out there who genuinely cant afford food, have some perspective and be thankful for what you have

well basically yeah, we all do here, I dont go around complaining like ''I cant afford these shoes right now my life is so hard'' when theres people out there who genuinely cant afford food, have some perspective and be thankful for what you have

What a load of codswollop.

If you went into the shoe shop and they wouldn't sell you the shoes on the basis of your gender alone I'm sure you'd have an issue. Just because we're not starving or getting stoned to death doesn't mean we can't take issue with other discrimination closer to home.

Really, some of the posts in this thread beggar belief.

What a load of codswollop.

If you went into the shoe shop and they wouldn't sell you the shoes on the basis of your gender alone I'm sure you'd have an issue. Just because we're not starving or getting stoned to death doesn't mean we can't take issue with other discrimination closer to home.

Really, some of the posts in this thread beggar belief.

its so hard to live here, im so oppressed, what sort of draconian society forces me to wear a fucking top!? get over yourself like,
    talk about a sense of entitlement

its so hard to live here, im so oppressed, what sort of draconian society forces me to wear a fucking top!? get over yourself like,

You're absolutely right.

The only surprise is that you didn't call me a snowflake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So the argument now is that because it could be worse we shouldn't want to make it better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The argument that because things are much worse in (insert backwards hellhole here) we shouldn't complain about stuff here is about as stupid as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

osarusan wrote: »
    The argument that because things are much worse in (insert backwards hellhole here) we shouldn't complain about stuff here is about as stupid as it gets.

You might think so, but you should hear some of the mental arguments for stuff they have in arab culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Aw the poor baby, how does she deal with such terrible oppression? Man's inhumanity knows no bounds. And there I was thinking women in Africa and the Middle East were facing oppression.

God almighty this place sometimes...hey I'm oppressed too. Tomorrow morning I have to get up and work in order to support myself. Now that's true oppression!

Joins today........God, this place sometimes....:confused:

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Most woman don't want to have abortions I'd imagine. They still would like the right to.

I'm sure she wasn't going on some crusade when she pulled her top off, she says as much. What happened afterwards was absolutely wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

God, this place sometimes....:confused:

He's going to make this place Great Again. We're going to do it. Believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

But if you go on the premise that women being more reluctant to be topless in public on say a hot day or at an event than men due to societal norms and social conditioning, then surely when more women (like the girl at the recent festival) exercising the right will go some way to changing those norms and conditioning and it will become more common. The abortion comparison is a good one in relation to the choice a woman should have, except there is absolutely nothing objectively wrong or even ethically questionable about being topless.

Also, again the "more important things to campaign for" argument is entirely irrelevant. Everything is relative. Should boards.ie only allow discussion of terrorism and not politics, because it's more important? Or vice versa? And the idea that she should protest something more important also ignores the sad reality that this obviously is an important issue when so many people here are opposed to it!

Further, if you return to the fundamental point once again, this essentially comes down to the basic human right of a human being to be allowed to exercise a right that other human beings are allowed to exercise. This person's intentions, motivations, and quality or worthiness of protestation, really are all besides that single and important issue.

Also, as someone who posts quite a lot in the politics forum, and knowledgeably, you should know that change occurs very slowly. This is a small step in the grand scheme of things. But no less important, if only for some of the reactions on this very thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Donald, the heatwave is over. Put your wifebeater back on.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Probably, but if some idealistic altruists want to spend their time and energy liberating tits, I'm all for it. All it takes is for a few good men to do nothing and all that.....

I've always found it hilarious how 'intelligent' creatures like humans can get so bent out of shape over seeing what their bodies look like. It's actually gas, like. It would be impossible to put into words why it's a problem because it's so irrational.

Another user of boards put it well once - so forgive me for stealing it. A lot of it has to do with humans not wanting to think of themselves as animals. Many of them want to think of the human species as somehow separate and above the animal kingdom and shy away from reminders of our lowly origins.

So seeing sexual organs - seeing breasts or breast feeding in public - people going to the toilet - people not eating correctly with the right social norms - even much of the hate people pile on scientific theories of things like Evolution - and much more all serve as reminders of what it is we truly are. It makes people uncomfortable because it displays the animal nature which they would prefer to imagine is not actually there.
    Completely agree with meeeeh and Dahnald Trump...It would be boring if you saw a woman's tits everyday...

So the ethics of making one rule for one sex and not for the other sex should entirely be ignored for the sole reason that it might bore you? That is an unusual argument. I have not heard many people in the past suggest equal rights should be put on hold in areas where ones personal entertainment is at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

edanto wrote: »
    meeeh; you're wrong she's not an attention seeker, but she is a campaigner for what she views as a human rights issue....
    meeeh is right to a limited extent: she is an attention seeker; she is seeking attention for her campaign. Where I would disagree with meeeh is in the negative connotation that she applies to the behaviour. What's wrong with "Look at me; this is how I should be allowed behave."?

Wrong. You can compare different types of discrimination without saying they are equal. That's as daft as the other poster essentially saying that Irish woman should shut up and by happy they're not going to in Saudi Arabia.

If they were there to protect the public then what were they doing interfering with her? Was her nipple causing some danger to society?

• Advertisement

Absolutely, or warn them about wasting police time.

If i complained to the guard about some spurious harmless thing I'd expect to be told to get stuffed.

Or protest.

The guard was wrong. Didn't someone say the legislation quoted was proven unconstitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Nipple is such a funny word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

T!ts out for the Boys in Green...

So the guard was wrong and within the scope of their job they have to decide on a daily basis if a complaint received is something they have the authority to deal with. In this case by your definition it most certainly wasn't. She didn't reveal her genitals and she by all accounts wasn't perpetrating offensive conduct of a sexual nature by any scale.

The guard should have told the complainant to cop themselves on.

Of course it's the guards job to decide if something is illegal. If someone complains a person is behaving in an anti social manner and the guard shows up he doesn't just take the complaint as gospel, he makes a decision based on his knowledge of the law and what he can see with his own eyes and acts accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

She was absolutely right. It's so funny in Spain on holidays to see people's attitudes to their and other people's bodies. Topless woman at every beach, kids running around nude and no one bats an eyelid. Why should it be different here and why should there be a rule for men and a rule for woman.

Public indecency my hole.

Simple really

Immature society

You change the society, you'll change the rules

But considering that immaturity is a reinforced and often socially desirable trait here, I dont think that will be happening anytime soon

But shes attention seeking anyway, its obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Food for thought.

What are you on about? So I can ring the guards at a festival and tell them someone with a pair of tight shorts and twerking is offending me with conduct of a sexual nature and the Guard has no choice but to tell them to cover themselves up or leave the festival???

That's rubbish of the highest order, of course a guard has a duty to decide if an offense has taken place or if the person who complained is a raving lunatic.

breastfeeding in public is offensive to people too. Should a guard act if they are called to the scene of a woman feeding her child in a restaurant?

Please explain the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Indeed, there are heaps of posts blathering on about French and Spanish beaches, ignoring the fact that you won't see a woman walking about the streets Barcelona or Paris topless. There's a time, a place and a context that people seem determined to ignore, especially loud, self promoting eejits at concerts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So a girl getting her jabs out is attention seeking and wasting time but complaining about it to Gardai isn't wasting anyones time?

The Gardais time was wasted by themselves and whoever made these complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Good luck to her I say, but if you live in a culture/society where the ability to go topless in public is seen as a burning equality/feminism issue then you should probably be grateful, go spend a bit of time in a place like Saudi Arabia (one of many examples) where you'll not be long finding out what gender inequality is all about.

Not to trivialise gender inequality in this country, still plenty of it about. (Not just for women, plenty of it for men too.)

Ah the old Saudi Arabia chestnut again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement