Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about going back to do Masters

• 27-07-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm in my mid 30s and am contemplating doing an MA in Public Management in the Institute of Public Administration. I have a Bachelors Degree in Management obtained about 12 years ago and am currently working as a civil servant. I feel I need to educate myself to have any prospect of being promoted. I am very nervous about going back to study after such a long time, especially subjects like finance or economics. I have forgotten everything I learned in my Bachelors degree! Anyone got any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As a mature student, you may surprise yourself as to how much you will bring to your studies. In my experience as a lecturer, mature students are more engaged, ask more questions and are more dedicated to the course.

Don't worry about having forgotten everything, it will all come back to you. Plus, while the course may expect some level of prior knowledge, the notes/readings/handouts should make up for any gaps.

Look at it as a challenge, a challenge you should be well able to conquer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    As a mature student, you may surprise yourself as to how much you will bring to your studies. In my experience as a lecturer, mature students are more engaged, ask more questions and are more dedicated to the course.

Don't worry about having forgotten everything, it will all come back to you. Plus, while the course may expect some level of prior knowledge, the notes/readings/handouts should make up for any gaps.

Look at it as a challenge, a challenge you should be well able to conquer.

Thanks Tom. I think I'll give it a right good go but working in the civil service for over 10 years really drains any confidence or ability. I suppose I'm just worried that I'll find it very difficult and I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I went back to do a Masters when I was 29, after seven years of working in the civil service. I was very nervous, so I can totally relate to how you are feeling. But I agree with everything Tom has said, you will definitely surprise yourself, and you'll never look back :)
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

working in the civil service for over 10 years really drains any confidence or ability

From my own experience as a student, you will be surprised how further study can build your confidence.
    I suppose I'm just worried that I'll find it very difficult and I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try.

That's it. Don't give up before you try - a positive mental attitude is important.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm about to enter year 2 of a Masters, tbh you get back into the groove of education pretty quick at least in my experience and most of my class mates.

Agree with Tom, everyone on my course are working, they have professional and personal experiences that a 22 year old doesnt have, it makes for a more interesting learning environment

• Advertisement
Advertisement