Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insured as a named driver on other policy, any potential impacts?

Options
  • 27-07-2016 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi All,

My brother is renewing his car insurance and as it turns out, would get a cheaper premium if he adds me as a named driver. I have my own policy, and was just wondering if there are any negative consequences to giving him permission to add me.

Specifically, if he has a claim made against him (and I'm in no way involved), will it affect my own policy? (It's likely that I'll only be driving his car very sparingly). Logic dictates that it shouldn't, but logic and car insurance don't go well together.

Also, if he was to go ahead and add me as a named driver, should I tell my own insurer, and will I be hit with an admin fee or price hike?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ElWalrus wrote: »
    Hi All,

My brother is renewing his car insurance and as it turns out, would get a cheaper premium if he adds me as a named driver. I have my own policy, and was just wondering if there are any negative consequences to giving him permission to add me.

Specifically, if he has a claim made against him (and I'm in no way involved), will it affect my own policy? (It's likely that I'll only be driving his car very sparingly). Logic dictates that it shouldn't, but logic and car insurance don't go well together.

Also, if he was to go ahead and add me as a named driver, should I tell my own insurer, and will I be hit with an admin fee or price hike?

Cheers.

If he is to have an accident it has no bearing on you as its his policy.

The only way it would be an issue would be if you were driving at the time.

There is no need to notify your own insurer that you are named on his policy as it does not change the risk on your own policy.

Again, it would only be an issue if you were to crash your brothers car.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

If he is to have an accident it has no bearing on you as its his policy.

The only way it would be an issue would be if you were driving at the time.

There is no need to notify your own insurer that you are named on his policy as it does not change the risk on your own policy.

Again, it would only be an issue if you were to crash your brothers car.

Cheers! Just what I was hoping to hear. Thank you very much!

Advertisement