Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding sockets to a house

Options
  • 27-07-2016 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm completely naive on this one, if you want to get sockets added to a room how expensive is it? The house would likely be unoccupied at the time and its a build from the last 10 years

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi everyone,

I'm completely naive on this one, if you want to get sockets added to a room how expensive is it? The house would likely be unoccupied at the time and its a build from the last 10 years

It is very difficult to say, it depends on the complexity.
    If a socket is installed on a partition wall and a new socket is required close to it this is generally a very simple procedure. Therefore an electrician that was already present may do this work quite cheaply (perhaps €25 to €40 per double socket).

On the other hand if additional sockets are required in a solid wall that needs to be chased and a new circuit is required and the distribution board is in poor condition and very difficult to get a cable to this could cost many hundreds.

It is best to get a registered electrical contractor that has been recommended to you by someone you trust to provide a quotation. If the quote appears expensive ask for an explanation and / get a second quote.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I put in 3 double sockets in one room with solid block walls But I was able to do the work myself and had a relation who's an electrician giving advise and connecting the cables up the fuse board.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I put in 3 double sockets in one room with solid block walls

Chasing walls may save a few bob if you know what you are doing.
    But I was able to do the work myself and had a relation who's an electrician giving advise and connecting the cables up the fuse board.

Highly inadvisable!

Apart from being illegal (refer to the forum charter for details on Restricted Works legislation) working on a distribution board is very risky for someone that clearly doesn't have the required competency level. No offense intended, but if someone that has to seek advice on how to do this work would not have the necessary understanding. Getting most electrical circuits to "work" is a relatively simply task. Getting these circuits to work properly in a safe manner that is compliant with the regulations is another matter.

Remember mains voltage is potentially leathal. Apart from the risk of shock there is the risk of fire from substandard electrical work.

Is your relation a qualified electrician?
    Did he/she carry out the mandatory electrical tests on the new circuit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It will definitely be a qualified electrician, no way I'd touch it myself!! Just ballparking figures in our head thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

2011 wrote: »
    Chasing walls may save a few bob if you know what you are doing.

Highly inadvisable!

Apart from being illegal (refer to the forum charter for details on Restricted Works legislation) working on a distribution board is very risky for someone that clearly doesn't have the required competency level. No offense intended, but if someone that has to seek advice on how to do this work would not have the necessary understanding. Getting most electrical circuits to "work" is a relatively simply task. Getting these circuits to work properly in a safe manner that is compliant with the regulations is another matter. Yes he's fully quailified.

Remember mains voltage is potentially leathal. Apart from the risk of shock there is the risk of fire from substandard electrical work.

Is your relation a qualified electrician?
    Did he/she carry out the mandatory electrical tests on the new circuit?
    The electrician connected the wires to the fuseboard, I put in the sockets and wired them to the fuseboard ;) Yes he is fully qualified.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The electrician connected the wires to the fuseboard, I put in the sockets and wired them to the fuseboard ;) Yes he is fully qualified.

Apologies, I completely misread your post.
    In my opinion people that are the DIY type can assist with this sort of work under the watchful eye of an electrician. The problem is when people without the necessary experience get out f their depth, which does not seem to apply to your example.

I have to stop replying to posts on my iPhone, the screen is too small for me resulting in misinterpretation of posts :mad:

Advertisement