Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency calls possible on cancelled landline, or not?

Options
  • 27-07-2016 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I set up Voip about 2 years ago & cancelled our landline account (without having anything physically removed). Someone somewhere said that such landlines can still be used for emergency calls, but I couldn’t find any info about it. I get the engaged tone on picking it up, so maybe that makes it impossible anyway? Anyone know?

If not, guess I’ll just try it, though I’m a bit reluctant to waste the emergency people’s time if I can find out elsewhere. I left a handset plugged in just in case, as our internet speed fluctuates & occasionally drops out, and the mobile signal is weak, & nonexistent in some parts of the house. But if I know the handset’s useless I can get it out of the way (it’s a big old beast cluttering the window ledge, the nice handsets having moved to the VOIP!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Call 199000, thats the exchange itself. If that reads back a number then your line is electrically functional. Depending on OpenEirs policies this may still allow calls to emergency services.

NB: Such a line is subject to physical disconnection at any time without notice, do not rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you have no service or not paying the line will be fully disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks ED E - I tried to ring that number but there's no stopping the engaged tone, so I'll just remove the handset.

And thanks, punisher5112. (Seems that engaged tone means no service).

The chunky socket on the window reveal willl be handy for displaying/hanging something on (pity to waste a fixing into a stone wall!).

Sorry - couldn't use quotes from my phone (or search the forum first - the forum search button has no effect). (Computers out of action at the moment).

Advertisement