Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant propel cracked frame

Options
  • 27-07-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

More an foi than anything else just in case people wondering what happens if they discover a crack in frame like I was. Cos defo could not afford new bike or new frameset at moment !!!!

I discovered a small 1cm crack under top tube where cable comes out in giant propel advanced 2 which I bought just over a year ago. No crashes or anything major which caused the crack. Might have been there all the time but place never would normally check.
    Brought back to lbs where I bought it as was not too sure whether paint coming off or crack. They confirmed that it was crack and sent pictures to giant. Giant have guarantee on frame replacements but was still expecting a battle.
    Giant sent new frame to lbs within 5 days. Was hoping for new 2016 model but sent 2015. States that in guarantee will replace with similar or better!!! Lbs stripped old bike and replaced components on new frame for free.

So all happy with giant and lbs and just wanted to let people know if in same position

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Good to hear you didn't have to fight for it.

On a side note, I've noticed a marked increase in the number of propels for sale on various sites and Facebook selling pages. Are people finding them too stiff or uncomfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

On a side note, I've noticed a marked increase in the number of propels for sale on various sites and Facebook selling pages. Are people finding them too stiff or uncomfortable?

I was thinking the same lots on sale at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

FUnnily enough I Was just alking to someone today with a crack in a 3 month old Liv frame. They are having issues getting a replacement, partly due to hte frame being an XS and apparently Giant dont have any available at present. LBS offered to repair the frame until a replacement can be got but GIant wont replace the frame if LBS gets it repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Maybe I got lucky so but the frame and colurs i got was a us version of the 2015 advanced. From research they have to replace with same or newer but they choose the codours/ model. May be a case to look closer are guarantee and see what small print states

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

I was thinking the same lots on sale at the moment
    I am very happy with mine but then it's first good bike so no real comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

About 2 weeks after I bought my Giant Defy 5, bottom of the pile but keeps me going, there was a ping from the front of it. Turned out to be play in the fork.

Two weeks later, new carbon fork as there were none of the original available. No hassle from giant apart from the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Are people finding them too stiff or uncomfortable?

I really really like mine (except when crossing strong gusts of wind)... but there certainly was an initial settling in period :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

nok2008 wrote: »
    More an foi than anything else just in case people wondering what happens if they discover a crack in frame like I was. Cos defo could not afford new bike or new frameset at moment !!!!

I discovered a small 1cm crack under top tube where cable comes out in giant propel advanced 2 which I bought just over a year ago. No crashes or anything major which caused the crack. Might have been there all the time but place never would normally check.
    Brought back to lbs where I bought it as was not too sure whether paint coming off or crack. They confirmed that it was crack and sent pictures to giant. Giant have guarantee on frame replacements but was still expecting a battle.
    Giant sent new frame to lbs within 5 days. Was hoping for new 2016 model but sent 2015. States that in guarantee will replace with similar or better!!! Lbs stripped old bike and replaced components on new frame for free.

So all happy with giant and lbs and just wanted to let people know if in same position

Same happened with me on a Specialized bike. Crack formed around the pedal crank after 5 years of use. They replaced the bike with a new model from that year, although they gave me a "Sport" version rather than the "Comp" bike I originally had (about €300 less).

Still, getting a brand new bike for free after 5 years ain't bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

The front fork on my Giant Cyclocross had a crack last year and at first I thought it was just the paint but then I brought it back to the LBS and they confirmed it was a crack. They sent it away to Giant who sent a new front fork within the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

mrcheez wrote: »
    Same happened with me on a Specialized bike. Crack formed around the pedal crank after 5 years of use. They replaced the bike with a new model from that year, although they gave me a "Sport" version rather than the "Comp" bike I originally had (about €300 less).

Still, getting a brand new bike for free after 5 years ain't bad!

Same thing happened my Allez. Picked it up cheap as a winter bike. Did about 6,000 km a year on it for 3-4 years. Noticed a crack around the fork, which just looked like chipped paint. Sent them and Evans on some photos of it and Evans paid to take my bike back via courier and send out the new one all built up. Ended up getting the Allez Elite which was a model up and that years model.

• Advertisement
Advertisement