Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Road Race - 6th August 2016 Rio

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Roche finished in 29th, 9min 38sec behind winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Great show, fair play to rte, full coverage of it all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Well after all the pints, wedding speeches, courses and running up and down to the room I'm well and truly knackered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Well after all the pints, wedding speeches, courses and running up and down to the room I'm well and truly knackered :)

You think you're bad, I have to watch aWorld Cup Downhill race now.
    I'll be good for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

pelevin wrote: »
    Superb performance by Kwiatkowski, though with that kind of form, has he thrown away a great chance of medalling by being out all day?

Yes, but a superb FU to Sky and a good advert to other teams of what he can still offer.

• Advertisement

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    The can't stand the Irish commentators. I duno what it is about them. I think it's because they Commentate like no one knows anything about cycling or maybe it's just them

Try watching it in Polish and they'll seem grand in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Yes, but a superb FU to Sky and a good advert to other teams of what he can still offer.

I presume though there's still a year on his contract so he'll not be going anywhere for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Hugely entertaining race..had everything, a long breakaway, climbs, hairy descents, cobble, and lots of drama. Thankfully no bad injuries . A great chase to catch the polish lad, I'm sure he could almost taste the gold medal.... the bite shot for the cameras.

I presume though there's still a year on his contract so he'll not be going anywhere for a while.

Who knows? He might get it bought out. They clearly don't need him. Mind you, he could have aimed this at more regular selection by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

****in' typical!! Was watching all day and had to go and collect my daughter from a party and missed the last 20Km... Glad I didn't miss much though !!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

****in' typical!! Was watching all day and had to go and collect my daughter from a party and missed the last 20Km... Glad I didn't miss much though !!!;)

You think that's bad, I ordered pizza and the delivery guy arrived with 1.5km left (15 minutes earlier than expected)!

secman wrote: »
    A great chase to catch the polish lad, I'm sure he could almost taste the gold medal.... the bite shot for the cameras.

Majka's poor tt ability comes back to bite him again. More time in the wind tunnel needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Well I am knackered after that

Showed that is was a hard mans race rather than a climbers...the climbs were steep in places but not long...it was just the relentless up and down of it all and the cobbles/descents ...you had to be good on those, esp the descents

GVA, Fuglsang , Nibali , etc are tough riders as we have seen before ...
    Majka has great stamina too..And Thomas is very tough

I think someone like Cummings (& Kwait) could have been up there if they had not worked so hard so early

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Great race and a stunning course. After the snooze fest that was the TDF, it's so refreshing to see compelling one day racing. Shame that Nibali and Henao went down, really thought they had put together the winning move with Majka wheel sucking all the way. He didn't look so hot once he had to work. Delighted for GVA, some win on such a hilly course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Well I am knackered after that

Showed that is was a hard mans race rather than a climbers...the climbs were steep in places but not long...it was just the relentless up and down of it all and the cobbles/descents ...you had to be good on those, esp the descents

GVA, Fuglsang , Nibali , etc are tough riders as we have seen before ...
    Majka has great stamina too..And Rhomas is very tough

I think someone like Cummings (& Kwait) could have been up there if they had not worked so hard so early

I didnt think Cummings would work with the **** that went on before. Good team player as it turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Ban the radios or at least have more races without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

'Intense'

That's the buzz word on twitter from many who watched their first cycle race today. So intense that I had to have a shower after all that!

Nothing but positive comments and respect towards the riders and the sport from those on social media. Something good for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

godtabh wrote: »
    why would he? Thats how you win bike races

I just thought he should have been working with Nibali and Henao on the final climb to help establish an insurmountable lead and guarantee that they would take the three medals. Then sandbag later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

All of the top-20 today rode the Tour de France this year except Andrey Zeits (8th place).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I just thought he should have been working with Nibali and Henao on the final climb to help establish an insurmountable lead and guarantee that they would take the three medals. Then sandbag later on.

If there wasnt a crash it would have between the 3 of them. Didnt work out like that unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Only one Colombian rider finished ...so not really a climbers race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Only one Colombian rider finished ...so not really a climbers race

Not sure are you messing. If not for the crash the medals would have gone to 3 top climbers!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Ban the radios or at least have more races without them!
    Teams limited to 5 seemed to make a big difference today. Having said that I would prefer that all nations qualifying should be able to name 5 riders. A lot of guys out there today had pretty much nothing to aim for except perhaps looking out for any pro teammates riding for different nations which really should not be part of this particular event. That means you allow no more than the top 40 nations but each can name 5 riders. It means some nations may struggle to fill their quota, but even Ireland has at least 4 from the pro peloton they could have named, and it could have given a little more support to the two guys who were there (although clearly today's course was always going to be demanding for any sprinters)

What are Shannon McCurleys prospects like next Saturday on the track?

Not sure are you messing. If not for the crash the medals would have gone to 3 top climbers!

Geez I was talking about pure climbers and descending and crashing is part of the race

It was a hard mans race was my point .

He'd never take either of them in a straight up sprint and knows that so saving his energy to hopefully catch them by surprise from the back was the order of the day (pre crash) as it would be the only likely way that he would have won against them both. He is a good climber but has no real killer kick and is no good in comparison to them on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thoroughly enjoyed that race, had a bit of everything in it.

Was disappointed for VN and GT, hopefully their injuries aren't too bad but Nibali looked in a lot of pain. Was sorry to see Porte crash out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Thankfully the women have just one ascent and descent of the final climb tomorrow, and one pass on the cobbles. Hopefully the weather stays fine.

In all the excitement of the men's race, I missed the fact Contador won Vuelta Burgos today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Caught a bit of the post race interview with Dan and he wasn't impressed with the course, he said that it was a bit dangerous and resulted in guys not wanting to risk breaks. So it was great fron a spectators point of view, not so good for the riders.

https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/762030850972217344?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I'm flippin raging so I am. Just sat down, having avoided the news all day, with a nice cup of tea to watch the race that I thought I had recorded and sure it wasn't there for me in my recordings. Grrrrrrrrr.

Advertisement