Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Road Race - 6th August 2016 Rio

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I just thought he should have been working with Nibali and Henao on the final climb to help establish an insurmountable lead and guarantee that they would take the three medals. Then sandbag later on.

In theory this sounds fine; my take on it was that everybody from 40km to go was fairly shagged and Majka had put in a big dig to get across to the other two. He was probably praying just to hang on and hope Nibali didn't attack again as Majka rides an excellent steady tempo on climbs but as we see regularly has zero kick on either the steep pitches or in a sprint.
    I think Rodriguez, Alaphilippe and Rui Costa were the only riders who looked strong in the final 15km but they crucially missed the Italian key move on the 2nd last descent.
    On a separate note, I'm delighted to see GVA win. The only problem is that for once I didn't back him. Typical.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What are Shannon McCurleys prospects like next Saturday on the track?
    Progressing from the first round will be an achievement for her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

That was probably more worthy of a World Champs than the duel in the sand is going to be in October.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

what a long race? was it really necessary to have it so long??

surely it will affect those in the time trials??

philstar wrote: »

Well the length of the road race shouldn't be made shorter just because some of the guys will be doing the time trial thats their problem but you'd question the wisdom of riding it for sure, even if they are physically capable of being 100% fit and on form for both you have the risk of a crash ruining yout TT prospers later in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

but i don't remember it being that long in previous olympics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And 31degrees heat

Oh got you now , sorry. London was about 150km with nothing even resembling a challenging climb.

Edit that should be 250km.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fairly standard and slightly shorter than recent World Championships

Unless you watch throughout (and it was only really London when the option for multiple streams covering all events became available) you perhaps never really appreciate just how long these major cycling events are.

Beasty wrote: »
    Fairly standard and slightly shorter than recent World Championships

Unless you watch throughout (and it was only really London when the option for multiple streams covering all events became available) you perhaps never really appreciate just how long these major cycling events are.

+1 Even on the tour / giro / vuelta etc TV coverage on ITV 4 TG4 etc picks up well into the stages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well done to Dan. He gave it his all. Can't ask for more than that.

https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/762030850972217344

Edit: ThisRegard posted Dan's tweet earlier.

Nico had a mechanical on the first climb of the Vista Chinesa circuit.
    Both myself and Dan came in with high ambitions. I think the course was a bit of a surprise. The course and racing were harder than what a lot of people expected. We raced pretty well, but a mechanical happened at a bad place, and on a circuit that’s hard it’s non-forgiving. That’s part of the game, obviously I was hoping for a better result. My chain wrapped on my pedal the first time up the hard climb, and I lost time (50 seconds). My legs were strong but it took a lot of energy to get back to the front. It’s great to say my legs were strong but the thing with the Olympics is it is about results. Thing is today I came to give a bit more; I thought I was maybe going to be able to so I’m disappointed after the finish. These things happen.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    He'd never take either of them in a straight up sprint and knows that so saving his energy to hopefully catch them by surprise from the back was the order of the day (pre crash) as it would be the only likely way that he would have won against them both. He is a good climber but has no real killer kick and is no good in comparison to them on the flat.

Nibali & Henao? They aren't exactly Cav & Kittel.

First read that as Cat & Kitten.....

:pac:

MPFGLB wrote: »
    It was a hard mans race was my point .

Maybe Sagan should have competed? If GVA could do it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Definitley ...Look at how Cancelera was still there till final climb

Sagan is a better climber and a great descender

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bazermc wrote: »
    I'm flippin raging so I am. Just sat down, having avoided the news all day, with a nice cup of tea to watch the race that I thought I had recorded and sure it wasn't there for me in my recordings. Grrrrrrrrr.

You think thats bad. Recorded it, or so I thought as well. Sat down after work at about 8.30, watched first 50km, have to be up in morning so fast forwarded to last 50km, 10km to go Freesat box reverts to live coverage. Race must have ran over schedule, and for what ever reason recording stopped, missed the finish, gutted, three hours of life wasted.

Hopefully similar does not happen for the TT.

:(

All day I was saying to myself Sagan should have been here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

All day I was saying to myself Sagan should have been here.

Sagan apparently looked at the course..said no thanks and is doing the mountain bike race . I'm pretty sure I heard that during the commentary today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

On a less serious note my missus was delighted a yellow bike won today, she thought they were lovely looking. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Geez I was talking about pure climbers and descending and crashing is part of the race

It was a hard mans race was my point .

Twas certainly not for any shrinking violets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

That was brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Nibali & Henao? They aren't exactly Cav & Kittel.

I never said they were.

Definitley ...Look at how Cancelera was still there till final climb

Sagan is a better climber and a great descender

I could not believe it when I saw him pulling on the front of the peloton so close to the end. I thought then about Sagan's earlier comments on course being too hard for him as maybe being a throw away remark as he wanted to do the mtb but needed an acceptable excuse for not doing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I could not believe it when I saw him pulling on the front of the peloton so close to the end. I thought then about Sagan's earlier comments on course being too hard for him as maybe being a throw away remark as he wanted to do the mtb but needed an acceptable excuse for not doing the road.

you up early or late?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    you up early or late?

Hardly slept at all with the youngest so not sure anymore! Plus an hour time difference here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Hardly slept at all with the youngest so not sure anymore! Plus an hour time difference here too!

I was forgetting about the hour difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Has Nibali lost his descending mojo?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

JK.BMC wrote: »
    On a separate note, I'm delighted to see GVA win.

huh. Its kind of ironic he brings gold home for Belgium only a couple of years after the Belgian fed recommended him for a 2-year doping ban. I'm sure thats all forgotten about now though.

He seems like a nice guy, and he seems a popular winner. Just a shame about that black cloud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

1bryan wrote: »
    huh. Its kind of ironic he brings gold home for Belgium only a couple of years after the Belgian fed recommended him for a 2-year doping ban. I'm sure thats all forgotten about now though.

He seems like a nice guy, and he seems a popular winner. Just a shame about that black cloud.

That's a weird definition of irony????

And he had been cleared of all drugs related accusations, hence it's forgotten.

So get to the point- what are you really saying?

Advertisement