Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Road Race - 6th August 2016 Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Wanted to bump this thead up a bit

Just 3 days to go and at least Dan Matin sounds positive

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The Tour de France as a training block. I've heard it all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    He wasn't selected and will only ride the mountain bike race

He actually did not put himself up for selection on seeing the route and then took a few weeks before the tour to ride 3 Mtb races to get the ranking points. Winning 1 and placed in the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Wonder what the coverage will be like. RTE2 have it in their listings on their olympic program but it is been shown along with other sports and I suspect the program will be jumping around between them all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What channel will Kelly be on?

• Advertisement

Wonder what the coverage will be like. RTE2 have it in their listings on their olympic program but it is been shown along with other sports and I suspect the program will be jumping around between them all.

Are they not showing olympics on more than one channel ?? Have they not got digital channels you can seelct like BBC

Also wonder who they will have as talking head in studio ? This event is probably one of Irelands better chances at a medal, even gold...not that you'd know it ... hope they give it due coverage

Maybe good to have Stephen Roche in the studio ....he knows the sport and the 2 Irish paticipants best I'd say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

To be fair, they showed the whole thing last time out. There's no Irish clashing with it and they've mentioned Dan in press releases so they know he's a medal contender

godtabh wrote: »
    What channel will Kelly be on?

Is Kelly going to be on somewhere ??

Maybe have Kelly and S Roche in the studio...now that would be good...they can both talk and have strong opinions/insights

P.S. Kimmage for the Dunphy role ...or is that too much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Is any channel showing it live apart from rte showing bits of it

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

• Advertisement

I think its is shown free on line by US channels...see cyclingnews website

BBC are showing it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

BBC have up to 24 video streams but I suspect they will only be available online with likely restriction on non-UK servers

They are also running up to 7 different streams on the Red Button, so the chances are ypu should get pretty full coverage of the cycling events there given Team GB's performance across all discilpines in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Got Dan Martin to win Gold at 12-1 in the bookies today so put €10 where my mouth is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Beasty wrote: »
    BBC have up to 24 video streams but I suspect they will only be available online with likely restriction on non-UK servers

They are also running up to 7 different streams on the Red Button, so the chances are ypu should get pretty full coverage of the cycling events there given Team GB's performance across all discilpines in recent years

BBC coverage of Olympix cycling is good. Available on Free to Air Sat/ Free Sat. Not sure about Virgin/UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

C3PO wrote: »
    Got Dan Martin to win Gold at 12-1 in the bookies today so put €10 where my mouth is!

We might see a situation like the 87 Worlds where a Roche is helping his compatriot win but ends up winning himself!!!

It could happen if Nico and Dan are in the front group coming to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    We might see a situation like the 87 Worlds where a Roche is helping his compatriot win but ends up winning himself!!!

It could happen if Nico and Dan are in the front group coming to the end.

Be nice to have them both at the "pointy end" coming towards the finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Knowing rte they,ll probably be showing swimming or bulgarian weight lifters & will then jump in the action with a cycling gold as a feature length replay

neris wrote: »
    Knowing rte they,ll probably be showing swimming or bulgarian weight lifters & will then jump in the action with a cycling gold as a feature length replay

RTE are showing all the road cycling in full !!
    Declan Quigly is commentating

https://twitter.com/RTEsport/status/760862830329335808

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dodge wrote: »
    To be fair, they showed the whole thing last time out. There's no Irish clashing with it and they've mentioned Dan in press releases so they know he's a medal contender

I think the Irish Men's hockey team are playing India at 3pm on Saturday so I'd say there is a good chance that RTE could show some of that match.

I think the Irish Men's hockey team are playing India at 3pm on Saturday so I'd say there is a good chance that RTE could show some of that match.

https://twitter.com/DQSport/status/760907957567688704

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They are showing soccer on RTE news now so maybe it will be on that

I am not a betting person but the rider who I quite fancy for the gold is Nibali

I do think one of Dan & Nico can medal if the race falls in their favour as they cannot control it

Dan Martin has won a similar finsih at the 2013 Tour ..but would need to get over the final climb with riders like Mollema, Purito, Henao ..someone slower than him at the finish to win gold.....its possible.

If GVA, Kwait,Dumoulin, Valverde are in the final group on the flat then its game over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

C3PO wrote: »

He is 16/1 with sky bet.

But if he wins that won't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I am not a betting person but the rider who I quite fancy for the gold is Nibali

I do think one of Dan & Nico can medal if the race falls in their favour as they cannot control it

Dan Martin has won a similar finsih at the 2013 Tour ..but would need to get over the final climb with riders like Mollema, Purito, Henao ..someone slower than him at the finish to win gold.....its possible.

If GVA, Kwait,Dumoulin, Valverde are in the final group on the flat then its game over

Nibali doesn't have much of a sprint though, does he? With that long flat after the last climb, it seems it'd have to be a very strong ride for someone without a really good sprint to win it. Though if Nibali was focusing on this as his big season's focus after the Giro he must consider the win realistic.

Maybe looking at San Sebastian & Dan Martin not having the legs there of the best he might be fading from his peak a bit, but hopefully it was just one tired day. I think he has enough of a sprint on him to be a threat against almost anyone if he is there at the finish, and like with the Lombardia win it can be about opportunism also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

pelevin wrote: »
    Nibali doesn't have much of a sprint though, does he? With that long flat after the last climb, it seems it'd have to be a very strong ride for someone without a really good sprint to win it. Though if Nibali was focusing on this as his big season's focus after the Giro he must consider the win realistic.

Maybe looking at San Sebastian & Dan Martin not having the legs there of the best he might be fading from his peak a bit, but hopefully it was just one tired day. I think he has enough of a sprint on him to be a threat against almost anyone if he is there at the finish, and like with the Lombardia win it can be about opportunism also.

Nibali is quick enough when he needs to be, didn't he take some bonus seconds from Valverde in the Giro?

I agree about Dan. From a sprint point of view, VV is the only one he has to fear. GVA won't be there at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Nibali is quick enough when he needs to be, didn't he take some bonus seconds from Valverde in the Giro?

That rings a bell in the recesses of me head somewhere all right now that you mention it

I wasn't suggesting Nibali would win in a sprint ...He can go away on the climb , extend on the descent and hold them off
    Last year at Lombardia he did a great job at that

I was only using the sprint for Dan as a an indication ...he too could attack at the end but I guess he will be marked heavily as will Nibali I suppose

Also Dan does not only have VV to fear as Dumoulin or Kwait if there are so strong on the flat and with 12km flat to the line this could mean they can attack & hold off the others ...but I giess they needto eb there Also Thomas, Cummings , etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Colombian Cycling Federation have announced that Rigoberto Uran and Sergio Henao have withdrawn from the Olympic ITT in order to focus solely on the RR.

The Colombian Cycling Federation have announced that Rigoberto Uran and Sergio Henao have withdrawn from the Olympic ITT in order to focus solely on the RR.

I don't undersatnd that a the TT comes after the RR....could they not ust concentrate on the RR and see aftewards if they can do the TT or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I don't undersatnd that a the TT comes after the RR....could they not ust concentrate on the RR and see aftewards if they can do the TT or not

Maybe they're giving enough time to bring over backup riders for the TT

Advertisement