Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Road Race - 6th August 2016 Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Eponymous wrote: »
    Who is showing this tomorrow? Will Eurosport have it or BBC?

BBC and RTE

JK.BMC wrote: »
    My 3 picks:

Rui Costa (he can read the local roads signs 😀)
    M Albasini (he can climb and definitely sprint)
    Dan Martin (he is as good or better than the above 2)

This is building to be a fascinating race- whatever about the climbs, the final 20km will be very interesting, especially with the small teams; a bit more like domestic or local races- basically most people ride for themselves and 'team' goes out the window

I took a punt on Alba myself. He did well in LBL so he could feature. Certainly a better chance for the Swiss than Cancellara

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Do we have an estimated finishing time?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

godtabh wrote: »
    Do we have an estimated finishing time?

Race time listed as 13:30-20:15 (UK time) hereGet a spin in in the morning and then settle down to watch maybe Ireland's best medal hope (not looking so good for the boxers lately...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

^^^best leave boxing off the cycling thread^^^

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Good stuff. The wifes parents are coming tomorrow which usually means the kids will be sorted for a couple of hours. Plenty of time to watch some (all depending on how long the spin is tomorrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Will have to tape the cycling as I will be in Croke Park. It promises to be a great day of sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Looking at the odds ...some good long shots for an e/w bet like
    Albasini, Amador & Nico

Brambilla at 66/1 not bad either ......any of these could medal though maybe not win
    - not riding

I think the winner will come from one of the usual favourites of Dan, Valverde,Niabil, Purito,Bardet

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Hopefully, the finale will see Dan in a break with Valverde and Purito, guaranteed gold for Ireland in that scenario

• Advertisement

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Looking at the odds ...some good long shots for an e/w bet like

Albasini, Amador & Nico
    Brambilla at 66/1 not bad either ......any of these could medal though maybe not win

I think the winner will come from one of the usual favourites of Dan, Valverde,Niabil, Purito,Bardet

You must have been reading my blog ;)

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    You must have been reading my blog ;)

Not yet ...but will do directly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Koobcam wrote: »
    Hopefully, the finale will see Dan in a break with Valverde and Purito, guaranteed gold for Ireland in that scenario

Really? Has Dan ever outsprinted Valverde to win?

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Really? Has Dan ever outsprinted Valverde to win?

He's eluding to the fact the Spaniards will fall out and **** it up

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He's eluding to the fact the Spaniards will fall out and **** it up

Good preview here with good tips

https://bidonbar.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/olympics-road-race-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Who's offering the best odd's on Dan to Win? Ladbrookes at 12's and Paddy Power at 14.

happytramp wrote: »
    Who's offering the best odd's on Dan to Win? Ladbrookes at 12's and Paddy Power at 14.

17s at 365 and Skybet

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Very little mention of Dan and Nico in RTE's opening coverage. Barely mentioned that they are cycling tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Just saw Vasil Kiryienka (what a handsome savage) carrying the flag in the opening ceremony for Belarus; I hope he gets a few hours in bed if he plans on doing the road race.

Just saw Vasil Kiryienka (what a handsome savage) carrying the flag in the opening ceremony for Belarus; I hope he gets a few hours in bed if he plans on doing the road race.

I don't expect Kiry will do much of the road race ...maybe a bit of chasing and setting pace fo Kony

Wednesday he has a great chance at a medal as long TT suits him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sagan is racing in the mountain bike race later in the week apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Is there much cycling in Finland?
    Ok- going a bit off-topic but that lady carrying the flag trumps anything I said about Kiryienka...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What channel will this be on? I presume BBC will be showing the race in full so we will have to put up with hours and hours of how great Froome is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

bazermc wrote: »
    What channel will this be on? I presume BBC will be showing the race in full so we will have to put up with hours and hours of how great Froome is.

Yes, the BBC will give you great coverage - but maybe its not what you wheely wheely want :-)

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Yes, the BBC will give you great coverage - but maybe its not what you wheely wheely want :-)

You can watch RTE coverage on line with Quigly and Martyn Irvine ...its on RTE Now News....some such channel on line ...RTE seem to have a few news channels all saying the same thing online

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is there much cycling in Finland?
    Ok- going a bit off-topic but that lady carrying the flag trumps anything I said about Kiryienka...

Cannondale DS Charlie Wigaleus lives in Finland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

British riders to wear new-tech skinsuit designed to reduce drag:

http://road.cc/content/news/199907-secret-skinsuit-bring-gb-track-riders-rio-world-records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Think this should suit Bardet and will have a flutter @ 25/1

Would absolutely love one of the Irish lads to win though or even medal.

Chuchote wrote: »
    British riders to wear new-tech skinsuit designed to reduce drag:

http://road.cc/content/news/199907-secret-skinsuit-bring-gb-track-riders-rio-world-records
    spock. wrote: »
    Think this should suit Bardet and will have a flutter @ 25/1

Would absolutely love one of the Irish lads to win though or even medal.

Its a bit like picking a winner for the grand national ...any of up on 50 riders could win ...though a possible 10 are realsitic potentials
    And I guess like the grand national it will be a race of attrition ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Dutch athletes cut through the Rio traffic on their orange bikes:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/going-dutch-beating-traffic-on-two-wheels-1470434754?mod=e2tw

Advertisement