Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Road Race - 6th August 2016 Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

bazermc wrote: »
    What channel will this be on? I presume BBC will be showing the race in full so we will have to put up with hours and hours of how great Froome is.

Best thing about the Olympic road race is that you can flick over to some other event while the race is boring or while the BBC commentators are droning on about Froome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I see the Indo has all it's facts correct as normal :mad:
    The nation's only World Tour riders, the cycling cousins will form Ireland's two-man team for the Olympic road race

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/family-affair-for-cyclists-nicolas-roche-and-dan-martin-in-rio-34943055.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Here is a word of approval I guess

https://twitter.com/mrconde/status/761878413682544640

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Great shot there of Froome stem-watching as always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What's the deal with service vehicles, does each country have one?

Edit. Ha ha, just as I ask RTE explain it. More than 2 riders you get a team car, 2 riders or less you share a team car. Could prove important when it comes to the hills and big splits.

A lot seen to be riding luminous green, like a Raleigh Lizard MTB I once had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

The can't stand the Irish commentators. I duno what it is about them. I think it's because they Commentate like no one knows anything about cycling or maybe it's just them

Spain sitting down the back biding their time

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    The can't stand the Irish commentators. I duno what it is about them. I think it's because they Commentate like no one knows anything about cycling or maybe it's just them

Most people watching don;t...and they want to bring them into the sport ...fair enough I think ...though I can't hear them as in London

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

One of the Irish commentators is P.J. Nolan.
    I doubt, that there are many people out there, that know more than him about cycling.

I just switched to BBC for the ad, RTE commentary is pretty good in fairness, they know their stuff.

The lack of team cars is evident with the Turkish rider.

Why did Dumoulin bother getting out of bed.

Anyone got good excuses for for avoiding kids birthday parties and staying in to watch the full race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I think when commentating for the Olympics you have to cater for the large number of people who might be watching a sport for the first time/know very little about it. It's always going to sound patronizing to the velominati..

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I think they have got the balance right so far. They are obviously knowledgeable themselves but are commentating for a wide audience with varying degrees of knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Dumoulin quits already! Saving himself for the TT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Spain sitting down the back biding their time

Looked like Valverde was chasing Pokemon on his device!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Anyone got good excuses for for avoiding kids birthday parties and staying in to watch the full race?

Birthdays are every year. Olympics are not.

Very strong break inc Kwait, Majka, Pantano, Geske, Albasini

Very very strong ...yippe it wil be a race

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Birthdays are every year. Olympics are not.

I managed to miss most of the same kids bbirthday last year due to rugby or something. Looks like it's Sky Plus for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Anyone know who Ireland are sharing a support car with?

Can someone here tell me ...I tried watching RTE on line (as in London) but told it is live on player ...but no sign there

Told it on RTE NOW but cannot find that either ....

Is it not visible to people outside Ireland ??

(WEB site is terrible btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Can someone here tell me ...I tried watching RTE on line (as in London) but told it is live on player ...but no sign there

RTE live player is typically Ireland only, even for the likes of GAA, so may not be accessible for you. Try BBC iPlayer since you're in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

They are speaking to a once-a-year audience so hence the basics.
    I hope they eventually get excited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Install cyber ghost, set location as Ireland and watch RTE

ford2600 wrote: »
    Install cyber ghost, set location as Ireland and watch RTE

Thank...might do that in the future ....just wanted to hear the Irish even if not the best ...at least I would hear about Dan & Nico ....on BBC its just all Froome, Thomas, Yates, etc

JK.BMC wrote: »
    They are speaking to a once-a-year audience so hence the basics.
    I hope they eventually get excited

They should have just got the TG4 guys in to cover it .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thank...might do that in the future ....just wanted to hear the Irish even if not the best ...at least I would hear about Dan & Nico ....on BBC its just all Froome, Thomas, Yates, etc

Unless Martin wins and they take him as British again (though I know he was born there) or Nico does well and they give all the credit to sky and brailsford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Nice bright but not gaudy kits in the break there! A refreshing change from the regular races. Surprising to see riders like Kwiatkowski go out there like that. Fair do's in terms of attitude for all those involved, individually but also obviously as team tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

They should have just got the TG4 guys in to cover it .

Whatever about understanding racing and cycling terminology, the general public wouldn't have a clue if the commentary was in Irish;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I think France and the Alps have a rival for amazing scenery on a bike race!

Stunning pictures from Rio.

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Whatever about understanding racing and cycling terminology, the general public wouldn't have a clue if the commentary was in Irish;)

I meant them do it in English of course :D

I usually have to watch on TG4 and not understand a word but the 2 lads always sound really into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Seriously, cobbles as well as a tough profile? This is silly tbh

Advertisement