Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Penn wrote: »
    The ending to Crocodile was just so awful it was hilarious. I haven't finished all the episodes yet but I saw some article comparing one of the episodes to a Karl Pilkington story from years ago. The ending to Crocodile definitely felt like a Karl Pilkington story.
    So she killed t'baby, right? Only turned out, baby were blind, weren't he? But then the guys with the memory chips, right... spot t'guinea pig in the corner... and use his memories to arrest her... Whaddya think 'bout that?
    Really ?
    I thought I knew all of Pilkingtons stories :) - Any chance you have a podcast or XFM reference so i can find that ...

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

Really ?
    I thought I knew all of Pilkingtons stories :) - Any chance you have a podcast or XFM reference so i can find that ...

cheers
    Skerries wrote: »

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Also enjoyed Black Museum more than the 2 I've watched so far. Not as good as earlier seasons still, but pretty decent! I've such a crush on that Welsh wan though, she was in Utopia too, Alexandra Roach! So my opinion was skewed by that.

I found her to be soo annoying! I guess that was the intention though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

anna080 wrote: »
    I found her to be soo annoying! I guess that was the intention though.

Haha yeah that was the character she was playing. I love her, her accent, her wit, her swear words, plus she's hot.

Haha yeah that was the character she was playing. I love her, her accent, her wit, her swear words, plus she's hot.

Sounds your type alright :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105773010#post105773010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really ?

cheers

As corkie posted, it was the first story in Black Museum that was similar to Karl's theory of a device that could let doctors feel the pain of their patients to diagnose them.

Though the story in Black Museum was actually credited to Penn Jillette who I guess took it a step further with the pain addiction side of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I haven't seen all of the episodes yet but I really liked USS Callister and ArcAngel.

Metalhead i wasn't really engaged with at all. I found myself rooting for robodog :D And seriously...
    the endgame was a teddy bear?! :rolleyes: People need to learn to say "no" to their kids.

Penn wrote: »
    As corkie posted, it was the first story in Black Museum that was similar to Karl's theory of a device that could let doctors feel the pain of their patients to diagnose them.

Though the story in Black Museum was actually credited to Penn Jillette who I guess took it a step further with the pain addiction side of the story.

I thought it was the one where the husband puts his wife's consciousness in his brain. Starring Clive Warren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I thought it was the one where the husband puts his wife's consciousness in his brain. Starring Clive Warren.

Nope, sure it was called pain addict.

I'm rewatching S2 at the moment and haven't seen the first two before. I think I just saw the christmas special so enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,014 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Charlie Brooker fans.. he's on the first episode of the new series of Room 101 this Friday on BBC1 at 8.30pm.

https://twitter.com/Room101_Hat/status/949318603471577089

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Malari wrote: »
    Metalhead i wasn't really engaged with at all. I found myself rooting for robodog :D And seriously...
    the endgame was a teddy bear?! :rolleyes: People need to learn to say "no" to their kids.
    The kid was dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The kid was dying

Really? I didn't pick that up, but I found the dialog a bit hard to understand with her accent. Even so, I stand by my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

RasTa wrote: »

it was both stories

RasTa wrote: »

I'm rewatching S2 at the moment and haven't seen the first two before. I think I just saw the christmas special so enjoying it.

What's this then: https://youtu.be/wVMZN1QzTzY?t=443

I think we're getting our wires crossed

I'd never watched any Black Mirror before watching Season 4, so I went back last night to Season 1 and watched the first two episodes. The first one with the Prime Minister I knew pretty much all about it given the publicity it got at the time and after with David Cameron's scandal, but it was still a good watch.

The second episode, 15 million merits, was absolutely fantastic though. Really enjoyed it and incredibly disturbing. Possibly let down a bit by the supporting cast, but overall an amazing episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched the first episode last night.
    Funny how the whole Cameron thing would come about years later.

Good episode in the sense it was interesting to see what would happen. But no prime minister in the world would go ahead with it :pac: let alone doing it to the pig for an hour lol.

• Advertisement

Just watched White Christmas last night. Absolutely brilliant. Very reminiscent of Black Museum (or rather vice versa since WC came first) but just so brilliantly done. Rafe Spall and Jon Hamm were just terrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Jordoo wrote: »
    With Metalhead, I felt like there wasn't enough context in relation to the story. Anyone else feel like this? Really frustrating episode as I was so confused how these dogs came about, and why..

There's been enough dystopian sci fi churned out at this point that the done thing now is not to explain too much, especially at the start, because dystopian visions are so similar anyway. IMO this is the way to go because any explanations would be tiresome and I'd rather get to the real action/point of the story.

Basically, in the future a large powerful organization, (could be government, military, corporations, aliens, robots, or a combination of such) are either attempting or have all but completed to either control/wipe out humanity. Natural resources, energy, food, etc may be scarce. A new strain of a horrible disease may be present. There may be mutants, aliens, or robots running around. Humans who are not enslaved or wiped out by this new world order have the deck stacked severely against them and are probably being hunted down.

It's generally always some variation of this and not explaining it is doing the viewer/reader a favor IMO.

Metalhead was actually my favorite of the season, the bleakness and black and white was beautiful, and it didn't get bogged down with far fetched complex concepts like so many of the others.

I can't buy the whole 'digital copies' of people that so many of the new episodes relied on, too far fetched for me.

Actually, there were a lot of things I just didn't buy in this series. A world where the government can tap your brain just because you witnessed a minor accident, I don't believe that, unless the world is already under a massively oppressive dicatatorship like in the Metalhead world. An animal with a brain the size of a malteaser probably doesn't store many memories, and a girl as small as Andrea Riseborough probably can't kill a larger man with her bare hands in 15 seconds. Even the bath scene, a young man who looks to be in good shape, gets a warning that someone is in the bathroom and can't react in time to protect himself in any way? He would have at least covered his head or tried to avoid the hammer. And she killed a baby to cover her tracks but never bothered with the guinea pig? They make a lot of noise, squeaking all the time, and she could have offed him with a small tap. Even when she killed the muslim girl who was tied up, it just isn't that quick and easy to bludgeon someone to death. Same with arkangel - an ipad for a murder weapon? I get it's a metaphor but it's a rather clumsy one and also not believable - every new one is lighter, thinner, and 50 percent of its surface area is extremely slippy.

Another gripe I have is it seemed half the season's episodes began with someone driving a car in a vast landscape. Maybe that's a thematic thing but it seemed repetitive to me. And it's great they want to prove how 'woke' they are by having a female protagonist in every episode, but like I said it led to quite some implausibility in Crocodile. I love andrea riseborough but a stiff breeze would blow her over, your man in the hotel was 6 months off the drink he looked healthy enough and big enough to fight her off easy, maybe if he was dying of a hangover it would be more believable, or she could have just given him a drink and poisoned him.

I enjoyed the season but it's not a patch on the first three for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished Season 4 - I was trying to savour it for as long as possible, hence taking this long for me to watch 6 episodes. I enjoyed all of the episodes in different ways and didn't think there were any weak episodes, while also thinking none of them quite reached the greatness levels of the standout episodes from previous seasons.

I'm surprised so many people disliked Metalhead so much though - I thought it was really well done and was nice to have something stylistically different to all of the other episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Basically, in the future a large powerful organization, (could be government, military, corporations, aliens, robots, or a combination of such) are either attempting or have all but completed to either control/wipe out humanity. Natural resources, energy, food, etc may be scarce.

I was somewhat on board with the episode until she reached the abandoned mansion, that it still had electricity as evident by the electronic gates and the functioning TV in the house (albeit only displaying electronic snow), didn't gel with my assumption that the episode was taking place after mankind's downfall.

I don't believe the electricity supply can be explained away by the house having a generator due to the house owner's state of decomposition.

Also, when robodog was waiting at the base of the tree, how exactly did it go into sleep mode? My first interpretation was that our protagonist was able to power down the robot by incessantly alerting it from sleep until its internal battery ran out, therefore, was the robot solar-powered, and if so, why did she not cover it from the sun when she descended from the tree?

I also can't understand how a robot can be so menacing when it was later proved a tin of paint can near incapacitate it, paintball gun would seem to be the weapon of choice for this dystopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Lirange

Finally got to chance to watch these. Similar to others I thought USS Callister, Hang the DJ, and Black Museum were the standout episodes. Well written and good performances in each of them. Right now I couldn't choose between them.

The only one I really disliked was Arkangel. An interesting premise but it felt too condensed, forced, and I never really connected with the two leads. Crocodile kept me engaged and was very atmospheric. But I thought the writing (not the performance) of the lead in that lacked some depth so that the pathology of her behaviour suited the character development. But instead the writing just seemed to rely on the snowball effect to explain her actions. We know what the base motive was but doubtful most people in her situation act in a similar fashion.

Metalhead wasn't as good as the top 3. But I enjoyed it. It was a lot different than a typical Black Mirror episode. It leaves plenty of questions unanswered. But I think once I twigged that the opaqueness of it was deliberate it didn't really bother me. I liked that the dogs had weaknesses to exploit as it made it seem more "realistic."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Metal head felt like a "short" that may one day become a full movie... The "dog" was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Metal head felt like a "short" that may one day become a full movie... The "dog" was amazing

Movie? maybe IRL.

https://nerdist.com/boston-dynamics-robo-dog-open-doors/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gmacww

Just watched this. There has been talk that some episodes happen in the same universe. Reference being wraith babes and hot shots reference in crocodile along with the song from white Xmas. Have a look at this video. It's all the one connected universe.

SPOILER HEAVY BTW:

https://youtu.be/K98RxwToCjI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

gmacww wrote: »
    Just watched this. There has been talk that some episodes happen in the same universe. Reference being wraith babes and hot shots reference in crocodile along with the song from white Xmas. Have a look at this video. It's all the one connected universe.

SPOILER HEAVY BTW:

https://youtu.be/K98RxwToCjI

I think without seeing the video that it's been very obvious the same universe.

Maybe it's been easier for me as I've only recently discovered the show and seen a lot of episodes quickly but I learnt quickly to look at every tweet or news ticker on TV as they always referenced something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,290 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement