Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Mr.S wrote: »
    No options appear on iPhone or iPad, or when Chromecasting to the TV.

Fail.

It's not supposed to work on Chromecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

A big meh for me. I’m a big fan of black mirror normally and I admire them for trying something new here but just not a fan of the final result myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It ran perfect for me on amazon fire, lot of fun.
    The call backs to the other episodes were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I quit out of it after what felt like about 2 hours.

Good music though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Loved it! As an 80's kid I loved the setting the music the Spectrum 48K the way it played like one of those adverture style books. Worked fine on my PS4.
    Still working through the various choices lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Oh, how I miss the Channel 4 days of Black Mirror. Episodes were 45-60 minutes, and they actually felt like sci-fi satire, about possible technological futures, in social(-media) situations. Not gimmick episodes set in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Oh, how I miss the Channel 4 days of Black Mirror. Episodes were 45-60 minutes, and they actually felt like sci-fi satire, about possible technological futures, in social(-media) situations. Not gimmick episodes set in the 80s.

The first episode is a man ****ing a pig

The first episode is a man ****ing a pig
    Yes, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggate.

I should have said "they actually felt like sci-fi/social satire, about possible technological/political/societal futures", but I didn't want to make it too wordy.

My point being, the Channel 4 version didn't feel like a bloated mess, like a lot of the Netflix episodes, (which has some fantastic episodes, too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Mind blown. Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Interesting concept but I found the decision making quite distracting and so didnt really enjoy the plot or characters or find them very compelling.It was too long and with too many options, and sometimes it got a bit bizarre. It was fine..just fine..much preferred the usual black mirror episodes

It really felt like the emphasis was on making decisions and not on creating a very interesting story, just a bit gimmicky I suppose, black mirror usually has such memorable storylines and amazing plot twists so I felt like I missed that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

wakka12 wrote: »
    It was too long and with too many options, and sometimes it got a bit bizarre

Agreed, but overall still loved it...

They worked on this one silly episode for a year, so we may not get the rest of season 5 until well into 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Underground

Didn't enjoy this at all. Usually a big Black Mirror fan but this is just Meh.

I appreciate that it's trying to do something different here and bring a game-like experience to a wider audience, but I think anyone who plays video games on a regular basis will find this extremely underwhelming. This is basically a poor imitation of a David Cage video game. If I wanted this kind of experience I'd just put Heavy Rain or Detroit on the PS4.

The importance of the Bandersnatch novel and divergent storylines are laid bare to us within the opening minutes. However, on the third question, I was made go back and try again because I gave the wrong answer. That's not divergent. Thats a dumb gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I appreciate that it's trying to do something different here and bring a game-like experience to a wider audience, but I think anyone who plays video games on a regular basis will find this extremely underwhelming. This is basically a poor imitation of a David Cage video game. If I wanted this kind of experience I'd just put Heavy Rain or Detroit on the PS4.

The importance of the Bandersnatch novel and divergent storylines are laid bare to us within the opening minutes. However, on the third question, I was made go back and try again because I gave the wrong answer. That's not divergent. Thats a dumb gimmick.
    Haven’t watched it yet, and apologies for digressing into politics, but brought to mind the Irish Treaty of Nice referenda…maybe we were in a bad Black Mirror episode :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,502 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Haven’t watched it yet, and apologies for digressing into politics, but brought to mind the Irish Treaty of Nice referenda…maybe we were in a bad Black Mirror episode :p

Everyone who didn't like it are wrong

It was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,502 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's made for people who used to read the choose your adventure books, if you chose wrong, you died and started again. But with this, even when you go back, the options are different. It's incredibly well done and an astounding technological and directorial achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Robocop Corcoran

I couldnt say no to the acieeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If you stop over thinking it for a moment, you can see it's a typical Black Mirror episode. It has that way of making you think outside of the episode, who is really controlling who, is it the video game controlling you or are you controlling the video game?

I wonder has anyone watched it on 'default' yet? I might just let it play by itself and see how it pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

Watched it - found about 5 or 6 endings so far - as an ex-spectrum coder myself I can appreciate this was written by someone who really knew this computer (with exception of the video ram overflow error they mentioned several times - that's technobabble).

No spoilers - but what score did you guys get? I got a 2.5 ending and a 5 that was canceled so don't know if that counts.

Also - there is a copy what i guess to be the film Spectrum game code available at the end of the credits (he plays it on his walkman as Audio in the bus) - My old spectrum's are deep in the attic so I might try somehow get it in an emulator...

Well done Netflix.

“Roll it back”

Lol - here is one of the games - I've not got the one in the end credits yet - but this was on their site...

If you download the .tap file
    https://tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/static/nohzdyve.tap

And upload it using the blue folder icon on this online emulator...
    http://jsspeccy.zxdemo.org/

You get the nosedive game

thumb-nohzdyve2.gif

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Akrasia wrote: »
    It's made for people who used to read the choose your adventure books, if you chose wrong, you died and started again. But with this, even when you go back, the options are different. It's incredibly well done and an astounding technological and directorial achievement

Totally agree, I was frankly amazed how many different endings there were. Some excellent scenes too - and I feel I didn’t see the half of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Akrasia wrote: »
    Everyone who didn't like it are wrong

It was amazing.
    The treaty?
    :P

You finished the path in the book. That’s the way those books worked. They are not as versatile as real video games, so you go back to a previous decision point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

ozmo wrote: »
    Watched it - found about 5 or 6 endings so far - as an ex-spectrum coder myself I can appreciate this was written by someone who really knew this computer (with exception of the video ram overflow error they mentioned several times - that's technobabble).

No spoilers - but what score did you guys get? I got a 2.5 ending and a 5 that was canceled so don't know if that counts.

Also - there is a copy what i guess to be the film Spectrum game code available at the end of the credits (he plays it on his walkman as Audio in the bus) - My old spectrum's are deep in the attic so I might try somehow get it in an emulator...

Well done Netflix.

score???? how do u see that??

I thought it was great fun by the way

mrmorgan wrote: »
    score???? how do u see that??

I thought it was great fun by the way

The score was the review of the game. You can get a 5.

There’s one ending which goes back to his childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

The score was the review of the game. You can get a 5.

There’s one ending which goes back to his childhood.

god i didnt see any review ha

well it did keep directing me back to ones i missed.

the childhood one was a great one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I didn't realise the review rating was a score! I got 0 in the first go :D 5 on the second. Got bored then

Warning - spoiler attached....
    The flow chart of the film (I found uncredited on twitter... maybe not 100% complete)

Interesting the choice of Cereal *Does* make a difference :)
    ..And Americans get a different breakfast choice - what are Apple Jacks :)

All Bandersnatch Endings

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I had the option to say Netflix instead of pacs initially... That option led to my favoutite part in fact. Got the pacs option later. Not sure what was different.

Think I encountered a continuity error. I told Colin to jump after following him to his apartment. Dont think it ever rewound before that, but later when I explored the kill dad branch, Colin appeared healthy and helpful at my door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’d say this whole thing is a data analysts wet dream.

Advertisement