Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I thought episode 2 was great. The reviews are mediocre which surprised me.

I dunno, it just got to me. The tension built well and the storyline moved me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Just watched all three there, felt it was poor compared to other series.

There was a line in episode one at the dinner table where I genuinely lol'd.
    "I ****ed a polar bear"

The Miley Cyrus episode was incredible poor I thought, felt like a Disney caper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Episode 3 is absolutely dire - this
    brain transplant
    story has been done before!
    Think Brooker has run out of ideas or technology is catching up too fast with what ideas he ever had.

Piss poor season, did someone see the first 3 and said you ain't getting any more money for more episodes considering he has had a major budget available for previous seasons.

Always used to be the odd bum episode but when you only have 3 episodes you would imagine he would try to make them amazing
    There is no "what if" in any episode - more like "what the hell"

I think this overall review sums up my feelings about the season
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/black-mirror-season-5-review-new-episodes-spoilers-1202147241/

I would be fearing for a season 6 - or maybe just one episode, a special maybe...

I'm hearing great things about Years and Years which I'm just about to watch, goodbye Brooker, hello Davies - again

Only watched ep 1 so far. Great stuff. Utterly bizarre and great stuff

Polar bear = lol

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »

It's just a rehash of San Junipero which is 100 times better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

bluewolf wrote: »

Polar bear = lol

I bust my hole laughing at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Started with Smithereens. Dunno what to make of it really. Good performances but really oddly paced and overly long with unnecessary threads and then the writers get Sopranos syndrome at the climax.
    Also at first I was like 'Is this seriously a big long ad for not using your phone while driving?' But I suppose it is an important issue.

And all the 'we've got you and you and you on the line but he can't hear us you can only hear him.' A bit farfetched and just a prepackaged plot device.

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's just a rehash of San Junipero which is 100 times better
    Oh it's nothing like sj! At all! Only that they both had some kinda technology... The whole tone and everything was different imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Black Mirror is supposed to be about dark effects on society from technology. The first episode is an archetypal Black Mirror episode therefore. I thought it was excellent. I agree it is not like SJ in a meaningful way since the show is about society as influenced by technology, not the tech itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Watched the first 2 so far & thought they were dull enough. Maybe it's cause there are only 3 episodes but I guess I expected them to be of a higher standard :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The American episodes are ****e. Season 6 full on British cast please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wasn't really expecting much from the first episode given the mixed reaction but I really enjoyed it a lot. Not as clever or meaningful as San Junipero (my favourite episode ever) but the 60 minutes flew by for me and the performances are quite good.

Stupid... Stumpy... Arms!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

I haven't watched Ep 1 yet.

I though the Miley Cyrus episode was great fun, but not really true Black Mirror stuff. Apart from the foul mouthed AI doll it was very much present day stuff, especially with the ideas of holographic dead star tours now getting commonplace.

The standout was Andrew Scott in Ep 2. I loved the way they had keylights in his eyes in one scene, he does mad so well ("But the flirtings over Sherlock daddy's had enough now).

In the final scene there's one line, which got me, and I can't quote it correctly but is was something like
    ...over some dog picture!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The first 2 episodes were very good imo, the usual from Black Mirror

The 3rd episode was poor though, the season as a whole rehashed a lot of ideas from older episodes but the others had a sort of different spin that ended up being good, this one will rank barely above the Waldo and Men Against Fire episodes

None of the episodes will be in anyone's favourite 5, they don't come close to White Christmas or Shut Up and Drive, the first two are fine episodes that will rank alongside Fifteen Million Merits and White Bear

I think the idea
    of using brain tech and keeping someone in a coma and making a hologram of them is pure black mirror stuff. we don't need the originals anymore. just get them in contract and harvest. they didn't even need her alive after the new contract was signed.

And machine you trying to kill real you?? Creepy??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Boy the last half of the third episode turns into a episode of the Simpsons with Bart & Lisa helping some randomer.
    Miley Cyrus did ok with the voice acting but everything that required a range wasn't pretty. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought this was a strong season. The maturity and complexity of the writing more than makes up for some of the concepts being explored feeling a bit too familiar. And as much as I love the show's usual dystopian pessimism, the lighter, more optimistic tone of some of the episodes is welcome and stops the show becoming totally predictable.

I hope we're not waiting too long for more episodes. Maybe they'll do a Christmas special this year to fill the gap before going back to their usual schedule next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Only watched the first one..

.. it kinda didn't really go anywhere, did it?

Kinda meandered with an beginning and ending in mind, and not much else in-between.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Episode 1 was boring rubbish. This turkey is done

Reviews all round are pretty bad for the season, genuinely surprised that anyone thinks this season was representative of BM
    Stand alone episodes with no connection to BM they would be fine but they are not BM and just rehashes of previous stories
    Think some people can be too invested in a show that they don't see any wrong in them.
    Shame really for what was an excellent show with a fraction of the budget and many more episodes per season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

fritzelly wrote: »
    Reviews all round are pretty bad for the season, genuinely surprised that anyone thinks this season was representative of BM
    Stand alone episodes with no connection to BM they would be fine but they are not BM and just rehashes of previous stories
    Think some people can be too invested in a show that they don't see any wrong in them.
    Shame really for what was an excellent show with a fraction of the budget and many more episodes per season

Actually it’s the opposite. The biggest fans of a TV show are often it’s biggest detractors if it doesn’t meet its supposed standards.

I just try and watch anything with an open mind. I saw the last episode which was ok.

(Also BM has been getting a lot less dark for a long time now, if that’s what you like, and I do. A series that started with a program about a prime minister ****ing a pig isn’t going to cut it in the US market which is more optimistic in general).

Maybe that is the problem, pandering to a market outside the UK/Ireland - need to sanitize it
    Agreed the stories haven't been as good as the show went on
    But isn't BM sold as that tech that can be used for bad?
    Liked Banderbatch for the reasons it was meant to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

There were things I liked and didnt like in all 3, didnt love any episode, definitely liked the Miley one best though it all got a bit disney I didnt really mind.

While I think it's the weakest season easily, I think it's a case of there are only so many storylines that can fit a typical Bl Mirror narrative and also sci fi has been around for so long that a lot of stuff has been done to death (esp in print).

I like that they are not afraid to do totally different stuff, they might as well because the best days of the show are probably behind it.

Aaahh..

Thought they were pretty good..
    I'd heard they weren't great, so was pleasantly surprised..
    I kind of thought they were going to finish it after the black museum episode..
    Still haven't watched bandersnatch, but didn't mind the one off..
    It's pretty much run its course at this stage though..we get it..
    Hopefully it will finish before they start getting crap .

Think there is loads of stories to tell yet but he's got lazy and to comfortable with Netflix funding him
    Thought the first season of the twilight zone was terrible, BM is kinda the 21st century version but it was actually better than BM S5 overall

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Episode 1 was decent, not great, not terrible.

2 was bad, 3 was utter drivel.

Overall a poor season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Enjoyed episode 2 a lot more, if just for the always watchable Andrew Scott..

• Advertisement

There was always an iffy episode here and there though too..

Advertisement